Shipping from suppliers...

lovemylabs

I went to place an order with The Chemistry store for 25 pounds of lye. They are three hours from us. Their cost is something like $72.00 for the lye and shipping was over $15.00. I did a search and found thelyeguy and his cost is $52.50 for 24 pounds..... and the same price for shipping from NY. Man...what gives with these shipping costs from these suppliers? I even noticed from one popular candle supplier, that if you go in and order one large case of jars (60 count)...shipping is much higher than if you go in and order (5) 12 count cases of the same jar. Getting the same number of jars, just different shipping charges...go figure. Anyway...for those that order lye in smaller amounts like myself (for now), thelyeguy is having a sale...buy six 2 pound containers and get one free.

Edited by lovemylabs

theres a supplier about an hour or so away from me..their shipping is about double what I paid when something was shipped from Washington state..go figure!!

shipping hurts EVERYTIME!! especially when its about half of what I am purchasing..I mean I get that theres a cost involved but holy cannoli!!

its like taking a band aid off though..I just throw everything in at one time and just take it at once..

Im hoping to start making some soaping friends locally and maybe splitting some shipping costs..but I havent met any friendly soaping buddies yet :(

Im hoping to start making some soaping friends locally and maybe splitting some shipping costs..but I havent met any friendly soaping buddies yet :(

Yeah, you and me both, god only knows what they think of ME and my disfunctions. :rolleyes2

Shipping may have to do with the size of the supplier (or not,) large businesses are able to negotiate better shipping rates than small businesses. Or, the supplier is profiting on the shipping charges. It's not unheard of for a merchant to add a little profit for themselves to shipping charges. I read today, maybe even here or a link from here, that it is quasi illegal for shipping to outrageously differ from actual costs of shipping itself and supplies.

Also, something that irks me. In California, s&h carries a sales tax when bundled as s&h and shipped in state, but not if the merchant only charges for shipping. Who wants to pay an additional 8.75% of already outrageous shipping charges?

MissMori what part of CA are you in?

I was just looking at what I pay for shipping to order my soap oils, its time to order again. The last time I bought 50lbs of coconut oil from Soapers choice it was close to $42 for shipping. Now they raised their prices to $60 for 50lbs of CO. Good thing OBN still has it for $50 and their shipping is only about $35 from OH. Still that is almost double the cost thanks to the shipping.

I keep looking for someone who sells oils at real wholesale prices here in CA. For a place so big we have so little (or nothing) for oils for soap, or for waxes and glass for candles.

At least I can go pick up my lye.

Lovemylabs - check with a chemical supply store near you for your lye. Just seal it really well in a totally airtight container and you can keep it for a long time that way. I pay $41.25 for 55lbs with no tax or shipping.

Most "legimate" suppliers have to pay a $22.50 (I think) hazmat fee for shipping anything over 8 lbs of lye. I get mine from Essential Depot off of ebay, he doesn't pay this and I usually order 32 lbs at a time. That is in addition to the normal shipping fee, so it does add up. I don't know how some people get around charging it, but they do. Have fun with your new shipment of lye.

Thanks, just check with them today. They only have two sizes of oils. 35lb or drum. I could drive there easily but the prices in the end are pretty much the same as what I am paying to have the oils shipped. You should check out Oils By Nature. Their palm right now is only $47 for 50lbs. They are closer to you than they are to me so shipping might be better than from CA.

shipping kills me, I get so bummed paying shipping on things I wish I could just go get myself.. in the spring I'm going to Peaks and getting 10 cases of wax, because I'm down to zip and I hate paying almost $30 to ship something 7 hours:angry2:

what kind of car do you have? gas to drive 400 miles and back with 600-700 pounds of wax in your car may just be more $$$ than paying the shipping.....

Oh how I wish I could drive to peaks though! I'd be broke because of FO!:tiptoe:

OBN is a great copmany! I would go with them anyway! Great quality products. I drive to pick up from them when I need stuff. Infact it is almost time for the CO myself. If you guys want to check what actual shipping would be from 44138 I might be able to ship to you. I am pretty sure they do actual shipping cost though and I doubt it would save much if anything.

Have you guys considered having your orders shipped to a business address, sometimes you can get a cheaper rate to ship business to business if you live in a less traveled area

oh and lovemylabs...where are you located? I can get lye local in the cleveland area. I think you might be someplace close to me.

Edited by tlc26

Thanks for the link! I appreciate it....I'm going to go back and check the site out again and do a cost comparison, including shipping from lyeguy and no shipping from essentialdepot. I do notice they are in Florida which is closer to us, so shipping could be a little sooner. (We're still waiting for our order from thelyeguy. REALLY was hoping to get it by now so we could soap this weekend.):sad2: Thanks again.

tiny chevy cobalt, it doesnt change the gas that much, maybe 5 extra mpg, we've done it a few times :) In my Durango it doesnt change the gas at all, but it has half the MPG the car does

what kind of car do you have? gas to drive 400 miles and back with 600-700 pounds of wax in your car may just be more $$$ than paying the shipping.....

Oh how I wish I could drive to peaks though! I'd be broke because of FO!:tiptoe:

OBN is a great copmany! I would go with them anyway! Great quality products. I drive to pick up from them when I need stuff. Infact it is almost time for the CO myself. If you guys want to check what actual shipping would be from 44138 I might be able to ship to you. I am pretty sure they do actual shipping cost though and I doubt it would save much if anything.

Have you guys considered having your orders shipped to a business address, sometimes you can get a cheaper rate to ship business to business if you live in a less traveled area

oh and lovemylabs...where are you located? I can get lye local in the cleveland area. I think you might be someplace close to me.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

First off, different companies have different contracts with shippers, and thus different pricing.

Second, costs vary by location.

Third, some companies roll all their overhead into product prices, some assign some of their costs to "shipping and handling"

Fourth, NO COMPANY is giving you free anything. Some may take a lower profit margin (and may be able to due to any of a zillion circumstances), and some don't - but don't kid yourself that shipping is free. Or that "handling" and other overhead costs are free. They just aren't necessarily called out. Charities give stuff for free - for-profit companies do NOT.

If you think a company's costs (be they product costs or "shipping and handling" or whatever) are out of line, do business elsewhere. I don't like the way some companies, large and small, earn their profit (or do business in general - for example I don't appreciate it when companies use my order to spread "The Word" and include religious literature in the box.) - so I don't purchase from those companies. Free country and all. Use the power of your dollar to its best advantage.

Edited by CareBear