Moist lye?

Tea

I have just discovered that the lid was not put back on properly on my container of lye, and as we have had a lot of rain, I know from past exerience that the lye has lost some of it potency. Is there any anyway that lye can be dehydrated again?

I have though about putting some in my SS frypan on a low heat, and seeing what that does. As I have almost 20lb, I was really hoping that I could do something before I buy a new lot.

Any help much appreciated.

I wouldn't do that if the OP has a septic system...it would probably destroy the flora in the septic tank to have that much lye disposed of at once. Besides, there may be restrictions in regards to flushing large amounts of lye into the local sewer system too. (She lives in Australia.) I would call the local government recycling/disposal center and inquire about hazardous waste disposal. They may have an amnesty day in the near future in which it would be free to drop off the lye for proper disposal.

Edited by evergreen

I probably would not trust it either, but am wondering how you would dispose of 20 lbs of lye.

The same thing happened to me. I had to call a hazardous waste place to drop it off. Ours was free. They keep the container though.

Seems like a waste but sometimes my soap was ok and sometimes it wasn't. I couldn't handle the inconsistency. It was nice to use fresh lye again after that.

The weight of the water messes with the amount of lye in your batch of soap.

you could never know how much lye is or isn't in your batch. your superfat would be off from the calculations in your recipe completely changing the properties of you soap.

As far as dyhydrating...I would not take any chances. You could really hurt your self. I would not add any heat to it!