Need help with BCN lip balm base

lauramw71

Ok, this is my first time making this. I just got a 1lb tub of this yesterday and I'm kind of at a loss. I don't want to make a whole lb of it, just a few to test out.. maybe 10 or so? I'm not quite sure where to start. Do I melt the whole tub down and than measure out what I want? Or do I just scoop some chunks out and measure before melting? I can't wait to try this out!! :)

Oh, and is 3% flavor oil pretty standard or is this too strong?

Thanks for any help, tips and pointers anyone can give me!

Laura

Figure out how much you want to make, then scoop out and weigh until you get what you need. You don't want to have to melt down the whole tub every time - big pain! As for flavor, each one is different. Se what the manufacturer's recommendation is for your flavor. I like to start with 1%, and go up from there. Happy crafting!

Oh my.. I made these for the first time tonight. They get hard FAST! I had to keep reheating it up and some of it was cooling as soon as it got in the tube. I melted it and it had already started cooling down before I got the flavor oil mixed in. Wow! What am I doing wrong? Will the reheating be a problem? I made a tiny batch. .73 oz of the base. I only wanted to make 5 tubes. Is it impossible to make small batches like this? What's the best way to keep it warm while filling? I used a small dixie cup to fill the tubes with. That part worked great... But what I used of it is fantastic! I'm very excited about this base!

thanks for the help!

Laura

Yup, electric candle warmers FTW. They keep it liquid while pouring. I usually mirco in a pyrex measuring cup, then pour into my little measuring glass on the warming plate. Works while I pipette the balms into tubes.

I find that I lose some volume when I melt and pour so if I wanted 5 balms I'd weigh out an ounce (gives me 5-6 balms).

Definitely check the manufacturers info before using FOs. Some max at 1% and anything above that tastes awful.

I do love, love, love this base and so do all my friends!

Candle Warmers! BRILLIANT!!!! I do have one of those! I think I messed it up from the get go.. I melted the base in the lil dixie cups... I only made a few, and gave each one of my kids one. While they may be ugly, wow I love the feel of it!! I think it'll be much easier making a bigger batch than just 5... Almost too small to work with! I WILL get this down if I have to use the whole tub up practicing! HAHA

Not that this will help with smaller batches BUT what I do is have a 1lb tub for each flavor. I melt the base right in the tub, mix in color & flavor (right in tub) and pour from there too. Once I have pour what I want I just let it cool a bit and put the cover back on. I mark the container with the flavor and date and store the leftover right in the tub. When I need more, I pop the tub in the microwave to remelt and pour away. Less cleanup and makes it easy to make another batch. Once the tub is empty I wash it well with dawn dish soap to cut the oils/greasiness then run it thru my dishwasher on the sanitize setting and refill from a larger bucket of base. Has worked really well for me. The tubs stack nicely on a shelf in the workshop between uses. I also invested in one of the lip balm tube trays and a plastic putty knife from home depot. Makes it quick, clean & easy to fill tubes.

I melted the base in the lil dixie cups...

if you use a pyrex measuring cup, or even pyrex ramikins (I fill tubes with a pipette), you will do better. the glass retains some heat and gives you more time to work. plus working with larger volumes makes it cool more slowly.

Thanks for all the help! I think if lip balms are something I want to keep doing I'll invest in a filling tray.

Carebear, you confirmed what I had thought. Dixie cups was not the most ideal container to melt in! I do have some glass ramaken cups. I think that would be great to melt them in. I need to make bigger amounts instead of just the small amounts that I did.

Using pipettes sounds like the most logical way to fill them. That way I won't have a big streak running down the side!

I'll have to do more trials this weekend!

• 1 month later...

For small runs I simply measure out what I need, dump the base in a pyrex measuring cup in a double boiler system on low heat and using a candy thermometer.

I would never microwave the base. Besides, as stated the base cools down too fast so that would be a waste of time.

I use the disposable pipettes to fill the containers.

Edited by Featured