ebay--is this legal?

botanica

Ok, please excuse my anger, but.....

I haven't sold on ebay in a long time. I just listed some stuff and it sold. Because I haven't sold in a long time, and the buyer used paypal, they put my money on hold. I shipped the item right away and offered delivery confirmation through usps. I didn't have any ink in my printer, so I didn't go through their online postage purchasing program. They say that they'll clear my money once they receive confirmation that the item was shipped (which is only through their online program with paypal and usps I believe) or the buyer leaves positive feedback. Not all buyers leave feedback, and some people aren't very nice- as we all know. When I called Paypal, the lady was very nice and said that as much as ebay makes it out to be paypal who is doing the holding of funds, it's really ebay. And ebay makes you offer paypal (I think). What a scam!!! They're probably trying to make money off my money that's sitting there collecting in their some account.

So, is this really legal? How can they hold my money and expect me to send products to people without being paid for these products? I know it must be in a buyer agreement somewhere. And how is it possible to actually talk to ebay? After you go through their questions on the contact us page, you get directed to chat....which means waiting for over 20 minutes (right now--I don't know if there are peak times or not). Not once are you ever offered a phone number to actually speak with someone. And how long do they plan on holding funds paid to me just because I haven't sold on ebay in a long time. I'm an established seller with 100% positive feedback. That should account for something. This is a scam....and why I hate ebay right now.

Anyone else have this happen to them or have an actual phone number to contact ebay? The paypal lady gave me a phone number and it no longer works.

thanks for listening!

I don't know how legal it is but they did the same thing on a computer I sold for $200.00. They said it was because it was such a large amount in purchase and that I didn't have enough selling/trader ratings.

Yeah needless to say I was really PEEEE'OED about that because I really needed the money. If I remember correctly it's about 21 days hold.

HTH

Edited by ladysj

Same thing here. I quit selling on Ebay. I had signature receipts but Paypal took the buyers money back from my account. They blamed it on Ebay but then when I paid the money back into my account that the buyer basically stole from me, they disabled my account. I had sold over 200 things on there and this happened to me 3 times. Two of the times, I went ahead and refunded the buyer the money because it was less than $10 but not the last time. Ebay and Paypal are not a seller's friend.

Also, I was paying for the business account from Paypal ($20 a month) and if you have that, they only hold your money 4 days.

I think they hold money so that they can collect interest off of it...........think about how much interest you can collect off millions for 21 days.

Edited by Shewill5
Extra thoughts

Arrrrrrrr, so frustrating!!!! And the buyer still hasn't left feedback. So what happens if she doesn't at all? Will I just get the money after the 21 days? I can't get a hold of ebay to ask because they are not customer focused and have no number to call and only offer chat, which you have to wait a million years for because so many other people are having problems/questions too.

Sorry but don't you know that e-Bay can do whatever e-Bay wants. e-Bay and Paypal are the same company and they are so big that it doesn't matter what is legal or not...I bet that if you call them they will tell you that it is for the buyers' protection.

I had a customer buy some candles including some cupcake candles when they arrived the box was smeared a little the guy was abusive and demanded another box I agreed and shipped it right away he still left me negative snotty feedbacks for all the items he had bought from me...so I left him 3 negatives as well, he reported me to e-Bay and they removed the feedbacks I had left him and they put me on notice because sellers are not allowed to defends themselves (so much for freedom of speech), when I called them to explain what had happened I was told that e-bay and I needed the buyers and that they were not going to do anything...so I closed my e-Bay store and I have not been back.

Think about it...they charge you to list the item, they charge you a fee when you sell the item, them Paypal (an e-Bay company) charges you again and now they are holding funds and earning interests on your money.

I quit selling on eBay almost 2 years ago now. I could see the writing on the wall for sellers, and I was right because I can't believe how you never hear anything good about eBay from sellers anymore. They keep asking me to come back, via email and even by phone(live person! amazing!:shocked2:), but I won't do it. It is wrong what they're doing to sellers now. But I won't rant on that...

I still have a PayPal account for my webstore. There are no holds, no nothing for your own store. I've never had a problem in the 9 years I've had the webstore. But I have noticed that the number of customers that pay via paypal has diminished significantly. :tiptoe:

Arrrrrrrr, so frustrating!!!! And the buyer still hasn't left feedback. So what happens if she doesn't at all? Will I just get the money after the 21 days? I can't get a hold of ebay to ask because they are not customer focused and have no number to call and only offer chat, which you have to wait a million years for because so many other people are having problems/questions too.

I would send an email to the person that purchased & ask them to please leave feedback and yes if they don't leave feedback you will automatically receive your money after 21 days. HTH

Hi, I am having the same issue with Ebay and paypal. I sell antiques on ebay and they told me since I was a new seller (2 months) that they were going to hold my money for up to 21 days. I find though that if I get the tracking number from the post office and add it in paypal ( where you find the address of the purchaser) they release the money 3 days after it says the package was received whether they leave feedback or not. I don't print the labels from them either. I now have 11 positive feedbacks and none negative and I am wondering when they are going to release the hold. I think it stinks! It's our money and they have no right to keep it from us. We can't even put it towards the shipping and have to take it from our own pocket.

I would send an email to the person that purchased & ask them to please leave feedback and yes if they don't leave feedback you will automatically receive your money after 21 days. HTH

I emailed her and am waiting. It's good to know they will automatically release it. They should!!! It's MY money! I'll try to call them...I did add the confirmation number to my paypal account, but that hasn't done anything either. To be continued.....

Ebay owns Paypal and they're in twined that there's really not much difference between them aside from the kind of product they offer. They're probably blaming eachother for the hold to pass off the blame.

Hopefully the buyer will leave you feedback. But they will take a delivered status on the tracking page as proof.