What type of wick is this?

If it's got a thin wire in the center then it is more than likely a zinc wick. Zinc wicks are not dangerous. At one time lead wicks were used, these were the ones that were thought to be dangerous. I don't believe they are made any longer.

All I have is the Product no. no brand name, nothing more.

Humor me here.

Why would you even waste your time, money and energy making a candle with supplies you know nothing about? All I can say is I hope you don't sell.

That little bit of money you are saving by purchasing mystery wicks locally is not worth burning your house down or someone elses, IMO.

Zinc core wicks are perfectly safe. Many here use them and you'll see this if you read through here. Lead was dangerous and banned. You should be able to check with the supplier to enquire about it.

Curious... where have you seen it said zinc wicks are dangerous??

Well. Welcome back Sal_gal.

I've been buying a wick from an art supplier but it's not labeled. It has a thin wire inside, cotton wrapped.

Nothing on the label.

I see everyone writing about zinc wicks being dangerous. What type of wick is this?

Yes, sounds like a zinc wick to me, of coarse, but why buy from a person who doesn't even label their wicks? I agree it is a waste of time and money. You really can't safely (or economically) sell candles unless you make your product consistant as possible. How can you do that if your wicks aren't labeled?

"Dangerous"??? Zinc?? Are you thinking of LEAD possibly?