WOW....Scent Throw w Paraffin

I'm pretty new to candlemaking and notice a lot of people referring to "CS", can somebody please tell me if this is Candlescience or a different supplier. Also where is the best place to order the J50? Thanks

Yes, CS is Candle Science. As far as the best place to purchase J-50, it really depends on where you are located, so you can get the best wax price as well as best shipping price. HTH

LOL...I'm here. Got back, unpacked, poured, tested, poured, tested. We're working on a blend and then J50 straight. So, with the J50 straight, we poured a couple of cases of the 8 ounce Jelly Jars from CS, added UV, 1 oz fo/pp, dye chips or liquid dye and used 51-32-18z wicks. (Tempted to try LX wicks in J50 straight to see how they would work) I hate the mushrooms of zinc wicks, and yeah, we have wet spots. But right now I'm working on the scent throw and burn. So far, I'm very pleased with the testing. On our way back from Ohio we stopped at Aztec in Knoxville and I picked up supplies, including four cases of 4630. We will begin testing that next week by itself as well as a blend with 464. We poured a couple of cases of J50/464 and I'm test burning a candle now(twigs and berries from NG) and it is awesome. (Using CD wicks with this blend) AND...we still have the sample of 4627. Once we test the 4630, then I can compare and zero in on one of the three parrafin waxes we will stick with. As for soy...we're perfectly happy with 464.

I have to say that I have never tried Premier wicks. I think sometimes I get stuck on certain things and stay with it. I'm not sure why...maybe all tested out...I don't know. I think after the holidays I will have to get a sample pack and give them a try. Coconut, have you ever tried them with soy? I'm trying to settle in on a paraffin (4630, J50 or 4627), a blend and then 464 alone. Like I said, I don't know anything about these wicks and will do a little research. I'd love it if I could get those to work successfully in all my applications. (Or is that wishful thinking:confused:)

I use both j50 and 4633(j223) seperately and both with zink wicks. I can't tell you about size for the wick (as I don't use JJ) I personally think the throw is slightly better on the j50

Try heating your pouring room. Candles like it warm. The warmer the temp of the room where you create the less times you will have to use that heat gun! That will help with wetspots but they will come through on both waxes

gl and happy testing!

Edited by tlc26

Hey tlc26...Thanks for your input. We just poured several cases yesterday and used zinc. When we had our business in the past, that's what we used with the J50 and had much success. And yeah...the throw is amazing. Still hate those mushrooms. I do think I'll give the Premier a try though....have you tried them? (Oh...a heat gun. We have one, but don't use/need it. I'm glad as that can be time consuming).

I have to say that I have never tried Premier wicks. I think sometimes I get stuck on certain things and stay with it. I'm not sure why...maybe all tested out...I don't know. I think after the holidays I will have to get a sample pack and give them a try. Coconut, have you ever tried them with soy? I'm trying to settle in on a paraffin (4630, J50 or 4627), a blend and then 464 alone. Like I said, I don't know anything about these wicks and will do a little research. I'd love it if I could get those to work successfully in all my applications. (Or is that wishful thinking:confused:)

No, I'm sorry, I don't do soy. I use 4630 and J50. I got stuck for years on the "wick for Paraffin" thing. HTP, LX, and Peak's cottons all work well in those waxes for light oils, but when I go to wick the heavy ones like cinnamon, disaster. I found that wicks for soy worked good but I make small candles and could never find wicks small enough until I tried the Premier wicks. In the end, what it came down to is that their is a lot of oil in 4630 and J50 which makes it burn somewhat like soy. I would also love to get one wick to work for everything but I think that's wishful thinking. I'll be happy if I can just narrow it down to two or three wick types! BTW, I don't use zinc wicks because I want a self-trimming wick and don't want people confusing the wire with lead wicks. Maybe that makes my task harder.

I love both the j50 and j223 waxes and when I make parrafin candles I use one or the other. The j223 tends to shrink around the wick more so in larger candles you may want to do a repour or heat gun the tops.

The j50 is a true one pour so no repour is required. However, it is notorius for wet spots. Doesn't matter what you do; warm the jars, heat the room, pour warmer, cooler, etc., the wet spots will come back. It may take a day or a week or more but they will come back. So you just need to learn to embrace them or forget about them.

The j223 has a slightly stronger scent throw than the j50 but both have awesome H&C throws.

If you truly want to get rid of the wet spots use a small amount of soy wax in your blend. You'll have to test to see how much you want to use but I'd start out with 5-10% soy. If you are still not happy with the results add more soy in increments of 5% untill you are satisfied. I have used 25% soy with 75% parrafin (j50 or j223) and had great looking candles with no wet spots.