Coffee Bean Pillar Candle

ladysj

I made a hurricane shell with the coffee beans as you can probably tell some of them floated to the top on me. I filled it with 70/30 container wax & wicked it with an Eco 2 for 2.5" -3" pillars underwicking so it won't reach all the way to the sides.

They will still have the shell afterwards to place a votive or tealight in. I'm going to be test burning it tonight.

coffeebean2.jpg

Edited by ladysj

ladysj, That is beautiful. What kind of wax?

It's just Hobby Lobby paraffin with a little vybar & stearic added to it and I poured the center with 70/30 from GL. Going to get more wax tomorrow. My daughter fell in love with them so I told her she buys the wax I'll make them :laugh2:

• 2 weeks later...

I DO love coffee bean candles and yours look great!

Having said that, I make a hurricane like this but do not make it as a candle because of the many product recalls. I do not offer it for sale, but have made several for hand-picked friends whom I can trust to use the product as directed. I don't trust the general public to not put an oversized candle inside the hurricane and hold me responsible for the consequences.

Generally, candles containing ANY flammable items have a far greater risk of causing problems in the real world. Some of the recalls were generated by only a couple of complaints of wick flaring. It doesn't take a major incident to have a product recall ordered.

On a quick Google search, here's one from Australia...

http://www.recalls.gov.au/content/index.phtml/itemId/953318

The link below shows MANY candle recalls in the US (especially if you tell your browser find all the incidences of the word "candle" in the page)

http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/category/household.html

Here's a birch bark candle very similar to your product:

http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml08/08083.html

I hope all chandlers will review the examples below before offering novel products, however beautiful, for sale to the general public, both for their own protection and that of their customers.

Charming, upscale wood wick candles, adorable succulent-shaped candles in clay pots, adorable printed tin candles, lovely gel candles in many cute containers, tealights too many to list, beautiful multiple wicked layered pillars, container candles, gorgeous, sophisticated cinnamon stick candles, glittery wax pine cone candles, charming gourd candles, jewelled pillar candles, amazing coiled "rope" candles with holders, Halloween "hand" candles, potpourri-containing candles ... etc., etc. etc.

I was curious,.. when you have your wax pool and the beans are "floating" around, does it drown out your flame, or does it burn well?

I think it looks awesome, I have just never seen them with coffee beans in the wax before.

The beans don't float around after the wax has set up. They are embedded on the sides & I filled it with container wax & wicked really low so it would only burn out about 2 1/2" to 3".