Making Matching Products

TheWickedWick

For those of you who make soap (either m&p, cp, etc) do you always make matching other body products to go along with it..like lotions, scrubs, gels, etc.? What if it's a bakery scent which is so popular right now with the fall/holiday season upon us...do you still do matching scents?

I'm trying to figure out if people really want a lotion say in peppermint patty (I'm calling it Peppermint Bark) or Pumpkin Pie, etc.

Thanks for any input.

Karen

For my regular product line I do make it across the board for all my B&B products. I also have a kids line using the same 4 scents. That said, I usually make some decorative soaps for holidays (mini pink ducks in a small heart shaped soap for Valentines, coal soap and Christmas ducks for Christmas, etc that are not scents from my regular line) and do not make matching items in them.

sometimes... some scents translate better than others, for example.. plumeria. Plumeria body butter and perfumes I couldnt keep in stock at one of my shows this summer and people requested it in bath bombs also. I sold out of it in bar soap too. But Gardenia while popular in candles didnt sell in soap, or lotion.

There are some things I just think the majority of adults wouldnt want slathered head to toe... buttercream for example.. EVERYONE smells it and goes "ooooh yum!" but nobody buys it.. they all go for something floral, or fruity, or citrus, or clean... know what I mean?

Luminous...that's what I'm thinking...I love the pumpkin apple butter in soap, gels and sugar scrubs but can't see it in a lotion. The same thing with pumpkin pie.

Thanks for everyone's input...I'll just use good old judgement when it comes to matching scents, especially lotions. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something.

We do most of our bath and body products in the same scents to create sets. Then we can also make up gift baskets.We'll include a candle in some as well. Then, depending on what it is, we may only offer specific products in particular scents, like message oil, particular mp soaps and scented dipped rose petals. As for what does move for us, florals (including lots of gardenia...go figure), fruity and herbal/clean types. We really don't offer bakery type scents in bath and body but I've been tempted. I just didn't want to be licked by my dog everytime I tried something out on me first. LOL