Hot Pink colour help

Hi everyone, Ive had a request for some soy wax melts for a wedding in HOT PINK. I know that you can buy that colour but I dont want to have to do that since I have almost every other colour and dont want to put in an order for just one thing.

I use redding dye chips and blocks. Does anyone know what colours to mix and in what ratio's to get something close to hot pink in colour?

Thanks for any help.

I don't know how to do this with chips, but if you have liquid dye, it might be easier than you think.

If you have any computer paint programs like Photoshop or Paint Shop Pro or GIMP, etc, you can easily find the color you want. Once you do that, there should be RGB or CMYK codes.

RGB is Red/Green/Blue. CMYK is Cyan, Magenta, Yellow, Black.

So I found this free program on the internet called colorpic. It doesn't give me a very large range, like Photoshop, but the basics are there.

If I wanted something that looks like this image, I'd turn to the RGB or CMYK formulas. In this instance, the RGB is 255R, 42G, 170B or (and I prefer), CMYK M-84, Y-33

Here's how it works. If you want a large quantity, say an ounce or so, put one drop per number of each color in a bottle. So on the CMYK you end up with 84 drops of Magenta and 33 drops of Yellow (which is not enough for an ounce so keep going at that ratio. For the RGB, you would use 255 drops of Red, 42 of Green and 170 drops of Blue. An ounce is about 600 drops.

If you just want a very small batch, like for one candle, then divide by the lowest number and round out. IE: RGB would then be 6 drops R, 1 drop G, 4 drops Blue. For the CMYK it would be 3 drops Magenta, one drop yellow.

once you have the mix, the strength of your color is based as always on the amount of mixed drops you add to the candle.

I prefer CMYK because in that formula, the max number is 100 and it always assumes 100 for White (which most candle wax is well off to a head start for white).

I don't like the RGB formula because there is no upper limit. If some color is achieved by adding one drop of yellow to a gallon of blue, then that's what you get for a formula and that really is not workable.

The upside to RGB is that we can all get those colors very easily.

The down side to CMYK is that nobody has Cyan for sale so you have to formulate it.

post-12389-13945847328_thumb.jpg

Thanks Eric, for your detailed reply. Yes, thats the colour Im after! Using chips will be more difficult than liquid dye. I will assume the largest amount of colour {magenta in this case} equals one full dye chip. The yellow is then equivilent to {roughly} 40% of a full dye chip. I can then multiply each quantity for as much as I need. I will melt the wax chips together {and tweek it until Im happy with colour} and then set them in a tiny mold, that way I will have extra for next time I need it.

That program looks like a handy thing to have {I dont have any photoshop type programs} so I'll go see if I can find it to download.

Thanks again.

Ok, so I just had to try this hot pink and I'm not happy with the results. I tried the RGB formula and it was way too strong. One drop in 6 oz of 6006 wax was very dark. White did not correct the problem.

Then I tried the CMYK and even darker.

So I tried a magenta star shaped dye chip (5 points) with 2 points of a yellow star chip and it was too yellow. I added more magenta. Probably close to the right color, but not quite.

I think this is a very vibrant color and may need something in the colorant to make it a bit florescent.

Hope that helps.

I just found some Fuscia chips in my drawer and thought I'd make one more tumbler with Pink Sugar FO.

So far it looks very promising for your project. The tumbler has not cooled yet, but a smaller amount that did cool looks good.

Oh, and one correction above about RGB formulas is that there is an upper limit for computer colors, 255. So you probably won't see too many programs that mix ratios above 255 per color.

Edited by EricofAZ

For some colors, you are best served to buy the specific color: hot pink is one of those colors! High visibility yellow is another. Any florescent color is easier to obtain premixed rather than mixing oneself. You will also obtain more consistent results with a premixed dye than if you mix it yourself.

I mix most of my own colors using liquid dyes and applying color theory (see the color wheel above). BUT in some cases, it's simply more cost effective and time efficient to purchase dyes already mixed. HTH :)

Edited by Stella1952

• 4 weeks later...

I just stumbled on it by accident. I was making some wild watermelon scented containers with IGI paraffin and thought I'd use mostly red and a couple drops of yellow.

Soooo, for one pound of wax, I added in 6 drops of red and 2 drops of yellow thinking it would be a reddish color like watermelon and it came out about the hottest pink I think I've ever seen.

Hi everyone, Ive had a request for some soy wax melts for a wedding in HOT PINK. I know that you can buy that colour but I dont want to have to do that since I have almost every other colour and dont want to put in an order for just one thing.

I use redding dye chips and blocks. Does anyone know what colours to mix and in what ratio's to get something close to hot pink in colour?

Thanks for any help.

I use the reddiglo dye chips and for a nice pink I use 1/2 cerise dye chip per lb of wax. Works great in soy. But for a hot pink the only dye I have found that works is the hot pink from Lonestar.

How many melts are you making? Is it not worth it to purchase the dye that works?

Edited by Candybee

Anybody else have the melt pool from candles dyed with LS hot pink change colors on them? I don't mean slight fading...i'm talking major color change that stays even after the candle has cooled.

I gave up on it years ago but would love a nice liquid hot pink that doesn't have a strong odor.

Anybody else have the melt pool from candles dyed with LS hot pink change colors on them? I don't mean slight fading...i'm talking major color change that stays even after the candle has cooled.

I gave up on it years ago but would love a nice liquid hot pink that doesn't have a strong odor.

Really? What wax are you using? I use it in all the ecosoya and cargill soy waxes and also in the honeywell J parrafin waxes. Hasn't faded or changed color on me using these waxes.