HELP! Bad molting, crating, and crystalizing after first & second burn

5014124719_e943696a65_m.jpg

(This picture is from a candle that had the wrong wick size that lead it to not burn to the edges. I fixed the wick problem and it now burns to the edges and creates the melt pool that it should.)

Wax: GB464

FO load: 10%

13.5 ounce Libby Tumbler with an ECO14 wick.

Alright...When the candle sets, there is usually a smaller sink hole that can be fixed on the surface with a heat gun. After the heat gun, the candle is nice and smooth. It burns fine (some air bubbles start to come up however on the first-second burn). After the first and second burn, my candle looks like this. The more and more I burn it, the better the surface gets. Also, wax crystallization appears, which you might be able to see

What's causing the candle to look like this/do this after it burns? Suggestions? Suggestion for sink holes? I pour extremely slowly and let the bottom set for a few moments before finishing up, I heat the glass, the room temp is around 80 when it cools, I heat the wax to 180, add FO at 175ish, and pour around 150. I let cure for at least 24 hours before I test.

HELP! I'd like to test more tonight, but need some suggestions on what to change.

Thanks!

You may be pouring at too high a temp for that wax or the FO may be the problem. I used to use 464 and I poured mine between 125-130 degrees. I never had any candles do that when burned except for one and I determined it was the particulatar FO. For some reason the 464 did not like April Fresh Downy. I have made the same candle using the Advanced wax and it burns and looks awesome from start to finish. I also would get the frosting with the 464. But your pic looks exactly like the April Fresh Downy candle I had in the 464.

I also use GB464, and about half of mine look that way when they burn--typically the ones with heavier fo's are the worst culprits. It gets better as the candle burns down the jar a little, but, as previously noted, that's the nature of soy. I even mention it on my website in case someone who's never burned soy before freaks out with the pockmarks.

:tiptoe:Our customers have never mentioned this. They usually are so pleased with the scent throw, that they are not concerned with these soy wax characteristics. All our candles start with a smooth top. Some scents maintain that, but ALL maintain an even melt pool when burned properly. Let customers know what product you are using, and that frosting/mottling is a typical soy charachteristic. It'll be fine.:)

THANK YOU SO MUCH GUYS! I really appreciate it all your help. I didn't realize that when burned it retained some of those same crappy characteristics of soy, after it had been treated with a heat gun. I'm going to lower my FO a little bit tonight and pour at about the same temp to see what happens.

THANK YOU!

And Carebear- No, not the same company!

My best suggestion is to search the forums for discussions about 464, read a LOT and don't believe that you have to accept a soy candle that looks like the surface of the moon when burned! There's a TON of helpful information in this forum regarding which waxes have a rougher appearance and are more prone to frosting. While soy wax is far more sensitive to FOs, temperature, dyes, etc. than some other waxes, MANY chandlers have learned how to make soy wax candles that have a neat, smooth appearance all the way to the end of the candle. Good luck. :)