Container Candles in 100+ Heat?

Alajane

I'm having such a hard time deciding whether to do a show the middle of August. I'm in Alabama and our temperatures have been in the high 90s with heat index of 105-115 for the last week.

This would be the first time I've done this show so I have no idea how sales go. I keep thinking I might as well do it because I'm scheduled for one 2 weeks later and I'm definitely going to do that one because this will be my third year and I've done very well there for the last 2 years. So DH says there won't be a lot of difference in temps in just 2 weeks and I might as well do the one in August.

I do have a tent and would pay for electricity so I can use fans, but the August show is set up on a street so there would be heat radiating up from the pavement and no shade trees (the Labor Day show is under big shade trees).

I HAVE to make a decision by tomorrow because the application deadline is July 31. I'm just afraid that with these temps my container candles (J223/soy) will melt (me, too!!). I've never had this much trouble deciding about a show and I wonder if that's a sign that I shouldn't do it.

Any words of wisdom?

I walked through a street fair last night and thought the same thing...it was in the evening but still so hot (high 90's, low 100's) and there's just no way. Way too hot and miserable for me!! JMO

If you've got fans, that should help with the heat and keeping candles cooler. We'll be doing shows in the heat as well, but plan to have the fans going as well. As long as you've got air movement, it tends to make things better. I'd be tempted to give it a go, just for the experience and you'll know how your product holds up.

...sounds like most of you agree. It's funny--I'd not been feeling good about this show and the pavement aspect didn't really occur to me until today, so I think that sealed the deal. I have a fundraiser that's supposed to close this week--maybe I'll make enough on it to make up for the missed show.

The last show at which I set up ended 20 minutes after it began due to a torrential downpour and wind storm--we managed to hold my tent steady enough to get it taken down, but 3 of them went flying by us! Maybe my bad feelings about this one are because that one was also set up in a street. I lost a couple of hundred dollars worth of stock that time!

The festival I'm doing next month will be in the street and I plan to cover the pavement under my tent with cardboard and wood on top. Pluse, I'll use a fan on the candles. I haven't walked the setup so maybe I'll luck out and there will be a close shade tree. The fest got moved this year. :confused:

...sounds like most of you agree. It's funny--I'd not been feeling good about this show and the pavement aspect didn't really occur to me until today, so I think that sealed the deal. I have a fundraiser that's supposed to close this week--maybe I'll make enough on it to make up for the missed show.

The last show at which I set up ended 20 minutes after it began due to a torrential downpour and wind storm--we managed to hold my tent steady enough to get it taken down, but 3 of them went flying by us! Maybe my bad feelings about this one are because that one was also set up in a street. I lost a couple of hundred dollars worth of stock that time!

Dont let the past cloud your future but always listen to your heart. It is our internal warning system and like playing with a loaded gun when you dont listen to it.

I went against it once before Anime East 1995 and lost 200 VHS tapes in the torential rain. Not worth it my insurance covered my loose but not my time or lost revenue only the cost I paid.

Dont let the past cloud your future but always listen to your heart. It is our internal warning system and like playing with a loaded gun when you dont listen to it.

Drcobane, I think you're right. The greedy part of me wanted to do this show but I've just had negative feelings about it from the beginning! I told DH last night I'd decided not to do this one, but would like to visit it to see if it's as bad as I'm thinking it might be--will help me make the decision about next year!!

Fire and Ice, I noticed you're in Ohio and that reinforced my decision--I think it's quite a bit cooler in Ohio than in Alabama!

Thanks for your responses.

Don't bet on it! We cooled off to 80+ today!

I actually left a couple of candles outside as a test....2 days at 98*. no seeping, no melting, I'm not sure we ever cooled off to the dew point, but the labels are fine, too.

The candles you put outside for a test--were they containers, and do you use a soft wax? I've wondered about that.

I put one in the cup holder of my car one day last summer to deliver that afternoon and didn't think about leaving the windows down. I didn't check the candle until I got to the person's house to deliver it, and when I picked it up, it was totally liquid! Of course, I know the inside of a car is much hotter than the outside temps, but that made me a little leary of container candles in hot weather!

Thanks for posting your test results!

Jane

I'm in the same boat as you....I'm in Balto, MD and the temps here have been the same and I plan to do a show (I hope) in Aug myself, but have been wondering about the heat and what it would do to my candles.. It will be set up in a parking lot with no shade.. I have been going over and over this for the past few weeks.

Jeanna

The candles you put outside for a test--were they containers, and do you use a soft wax? I've wondered about that.

I put one in the cup holder of my car one day last summer to deliver that afternoon and didn't think about leaving the windows down. I didn't check the candle until I got to the person's house to deliver it, and when I picked it up, it was totally liquid! Of course, I know the inside of a car is much hotter than the outside temps, but that made me a little leary of container candles in hot weather!

Thanks for posting your test results!

Jane

I put 8 oz jelly jars and 6 oz tins. Both were made with J223. They were just sitting on the side shelf of my grill on the back patio. They weren't in direct sunlight, either. When the sun came over to that side (about 4 pm) I put up the umbrella.

Cars can easily get to 120F, windows cracked or not. Two years ago my Labor Day fair was over 100 - we were on grass, but the candles did fine. A few green pillars, even though they were under the tent, did turn brown just from the bright light. I took my thermometer with me so I'd know how hot it was in the tent.

I'm doing a fair next Sat that I'll probably regret - it's on pavement, no shade except the tent, and it's been high 90s-low 100s for the last 3 weeks. I'm taking a battery operated fan for the tables. But I gotta do it, cuz it's a business fair for the local CofC. It's also a Bullfrog festival - they say it gets so hot that they have to wet down the pavement for the bullfrog race - their first year they didn't and cooked a few frogs' tootsies.

Well, I'm thrilled to have finally made the decision about this show--with the help of people on here. I let the date to send in the registration slide right on by! But I will be very interested to hear if there's a big difference in doing a summer show on pavement instead of grass. The only show I've done on pavement got "stormed out" and it was in April anyway, so I haven't experienced it.

Good luck with your show--your products are so gorgeous I can't imagine them not selling!

Jane

I'm in the same boat as you....I'm in Balto, MD and the temps here have been the same and I plan to do a show (I hope) in Aug myself, but have been wondering about the heat and what it would do to my candles.. It will be set up in a parking lot with no shade.. I have been going over and over this for the past few weeks.

Jeanna

Do you know anyone you could borrow a tent from? No shade would be very difficult--of course, I've never been to MD so surely it's not as bad there as in Alabama. But I got very lucky and borrowed a tent for the first year I did shows.

I know how you feel--I agonized about my decision for weeks, too, and it's such a relief to finally have made the decision, whether it was the right one or not!! Best wishes to you--let us know how it goes.

Jane