Craft Show Display

kssoaper

I was wondering if everyone would throw out their opinion re:

best way to set up your craft show display -

Walk in type of set up - where customers actually walk into your space,

or

Displays set up in line with the isle (does that make sense?)

We've had ours in line with the isle for years thinking customers would be intimidated to actually have to enter a booth space making them think they 'must' buy something since they entered... but I'm thinking we might change it up this year.

Any thoughts?

Judy

For my outside shows I have it in a walk in design since they can get out of the sun, rain, cold whatever.

I do a quarterly inside show and I have a corner booth and have always set up with the tables flush with the aisles. Lsst month I set it up as a walk in and a table flush with the aisle on one side. Best of both worlds. I will be doing that again.

Now I do one BIG show where I am not on a corner and I set my tables up along the front of the booth because that crowd does not seem to want to enter a 10x10 booth. Can't afford a bigger one so I work with what I have.

I do an L shape in my booth with the short table running down the side, and I give myself about 2 feet behind my 6 ft table.

I find for indoor shows, having a space where a customer can step out of the crowd is a good thing, otherwise if it gets really busy they just get pushed along.

I sell soaps though, so, I have a "A" frame stand for my soaps which I put in the corner (home made shelf that I call "the tank") and everything else flows around the table. So a section of just CP soaps, then glycerin on one side and the rest of my B&B on the opposite side. It allows for "stations" as some are only interested in one thing.

I'm of the opinion that the closer you have your tables and displays to the outside of your awning or booth, the better sales you have. This depends a lot on the show you are doing but, generally, most people are too lazy to walk into your booth so you lose a lot of lookie-loos that might end up buying something. We try to get as close to the walkway as we can.

I've done it both ways for years. For me it depends on where my booth is and where the sun will strike if outdoors. So I set up my booth according to what will be most beneficial. I didn't see a difference sales wise until I had been doing the same shows for several years and updated my booth decor. My sales picked up because I established myself and got repeat customers, got better at decorating and display, and of course better at salesmanship and marketing in general and improved my products.

I have always done the L-shape, the last craft show I did a little different, I had a small table and behind the small table I used my panel and hung different items on it, within 1 hour all the hanging stuff was gone. Could not believe it. It worked!

I've done it both ways as well but now that I have more items I do the booth style where they walk in BUT I put high interest items on either outer end to catch their interest and draw them into the booth. I have my kids line on one side and my car fresheners on the other. Both are top sellers for me. Once I can get them to stop and look I can usually draw them into the booth to check out the other items.

I also have done both ways. Really depends on weather (if outside) and booth size/shape (if inside). I have found though that if I have things facing out (like the end caps if doing the rows or one of the tables), you draw in people. I have had it that people are just walking by and they look into my booth (because I always say hi to those walking by unless I'm helping a customer) they say hi back and keep looking at my booth. Some then say "ohh you have soaps" and come in to brouse some more. Sometimes they buy, sometimes they don't and just take a business card.

So whatever you decide, I think its best to have something facing out to draw in those passer-byers, even if it is just signs telling people what you all have.

We're actually thinking about having a small round table that sits in the open space of our booth area and just putting piles of soap on that table

while having our usual table displays in an "L" shape.... I think the table with piles will attract people (don't you find women love to 'dig'

and explore :smiley2:) then we hope they will make the commitment to come all the way in.

Thanks again for all the thoughts and ideas :yay: