My first attempts at GG Palm

I'm trying to upload pics...so hopefully it turns out. I poured several type jars with the Palm the other day and used a variety of wicks. This is what I did:

Cherry Crumb Pie (NG)

Tureen 2-Eco 8's

8 oz Jelly Jar - 1 CD8

Torrential Rain (NG)

Status Jar - RRD40

8 oz Jelly Jar - RRD37

Votive Jar - SSV

Honeysuckle Jasmine (CS)

8 oz Jelly Jar RRD 37

Apothecary Jar 10 oz - 1 CSN14

Christmas Cedar (CS)

Apothecary Jar - 16 oz - 2 RRD 29

Votive Jar - RRD29

Strudel & Spice (CS)

8 oz Jelly Jar - ECO 8

Vanilla Hazelnut

8 oz Jelly Jar RRD 37

8 oz Jelly Jar CD 8

Votive Jar RRD29

Votive Jar SSV

post-12423-139458471938_thumb.jpg

post-12423-139458471942_thumb.jpg

post-12423-139458471944_thumb.jpg

post-12423-139458471947_thumb.jpg

Thank you ...But...I have to give credit to all those that have already tried this particular Palm and posted their comments. They are a huge help. This week is testing time. I've already started on some and leaving others for later in the week or next week. I'll post my results with the different wicks as I go. But...yesterday...I had the Apothecary/Honeysuckle Jasmine burning...OMG...the scent throw is amazing and I am thrilled with what I see with this one so far. We'll see how it continues to burn with just one wick...but so far so good.

Thank you so much. I'm curious to know which wick(s) you are working with on the GG Palm. I'm ordering a few more wicks today...smaller ones from CS (CSN, both 7's and 9's). I like what I see in the RRD wicks, but they only go so small. And, I will be pouring alot of this wax into votive jars too (about 3 ounce jars I believe)...the RRD29's are burning very hot. I did do a test pour using the SSV (WSP...recommended for soy votives, but thought we'd give it a shot)...it too seems to be burning hot. I'll post the results as we go along. And will test some more when the new wicks arrive and new jars poured.

I've been testing GG in containers constantly for over a month now and have discovered that the RRD's do seem to burn hot for the most part. I have settled on mainly CSN's for most of my containers, but even with correct sizing they seem to mushroom a bit on first burns. I have a feeling when I cut the wick to length it is fraying a bit and causing the mushrooming (just a guess at the moment). During subsequent burns the mushrooms do not come back (after trimming).

As far as the votive jars are concerned, I would go with a CSN 5 or 7 depending on your FO. In my 4 oz hex (close to the same inside diameter as the votive), I have been finding that the CSN 7 and occasionally 5 are doing the best with full meltpools and HT.

I have also found the CD 5 (and occasionally 6) work fairly well in the small (101) whisper jars with certain FO's, but again the CSN 5 and 7 work a tad bit better. But so far I have not been 100% happy with many of the tests.

As far as the apoth. jar, I think it will be tough to find a single wick that will work 100%. I have not found anything that will correctly work in anything with a shoulder over 3 inches in diameter without leaving hangups. But I have only been testing in 12 oz beanpots and 12 oz whispers, not the apoth.

Of course I am just getting started, but have used about 60 pounds of GG wax so far. Got lots of results, but these are just off the top of my head.

HTH

Cheers,

Steve

Wow...thanks for the information Wessex. I truly appreciate it. I got delayed in ordering my wicks....now I'm glad I did. Your post gives me a little more insight. I've got candles all over the place! Good Grief! I just started to burn the 16 ounce Apothecary (two RRD 29's) with Christmas Cedar FO. So we'll see how that goes. The two jelly jars, both Vanilla Hazelnut; the CD 8 is burning better than the RRD37. The RRD37 is on the hot side.The Status Jar is coming along nicely. The single wicked apothecary scented with Honeysuckle Jasmine is still doing pretty well. I'll see how much hang up is left on the one side. May be wicked slightly off on the one side...causing the hangup. The double wicked Tureen with (2) Eco8's is doing well...exept a little hangup on the one side. I'll do some more browsing on the board for wick info before placing my wick order tomorrow morning. Guess I better order in those CSN 5's, 7's and 9's. Thanks again Wessex!

You might want to pick up some CSN 11's and 12's. In my 8 oz jelly jars I have found that many FO's do great with the 11's, one needed a 12 and a couple seemed to do ok with a 9. Also with the 9oz hex (sold as different sizes, but holds 7.4 oz) and the 9oz 12-sided (or classic, again sold as different sizes but hold 7.4 ozs.), the CSN 11 seem to do well, with the 12 almost the same.

Again, just my experience, and keep in mind that I have been concentrating on the CSN's for the most part. Oh, and if you are going to do pillars, I have found CSN 11 and 12's are pretty good in feather palm (but there are several posts about that on the boards, thanks to Top.).

HTH

Steve

I've been testing a 6 sided hex 9oz from peak. I have 2 photo's. my 1st is the CSN 11 (red)It burned well but a little to much flamage for me I did have to keep the wick trimmed alot more. The 2nd is CDN 10 Orange it has burned perfectly and is catching up the sides just like the CSN 11 but The flame is much more acceptable to me.

Your candles are just beautiful, JMO you should pick 1 or 2 jars and work with them before you move on to any more, Brain damage will set in quickly trying to keep all those jars and wicks straight. Somebody once told me "slow down girl"LOL:laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:I had to listen my brain was dead :confused:, I picked a smaller jar that was easier to wick and it's working. Please keep us posted.

post-11440-139458472304_thumb.jpg

post-11440-139458472311_thumb.jpg

Thank you Soy327..appreciate your input very much. The photos help so much... thank you. As for testing, when we had our previous business and used paraffin, we did test a couple jars at a time. Then, we realized that with good organization, we could do several at a time. Since all the oils need to be tested at one time or another in each jar, we decided to make larger batches, pour in several jars and wick combinations and keep a "Candle Results Test Sheet" with each candle. We can jot down every detail of the candle from beginning to end...from what and how much of a product was used, melt pools, quality of the burn, scent throw, etc. We leave a sheet with each candle on a clipboard. We write down the times, monitor the wick, scent throw, flame (jumping or steady) and jar (too hot, etc.). If the end result is not favorable...adjust slightly and retest. If it's favorable, we'll make another batch and do another test...if the result is still good/great...we know we're getting it down. We retested some several times over to be positive. So for us, if we stay organized and focused and keep accurate records, we do pretty well with this process. OK...going on too long. Thanks again Soy327.

Ho everyone!

Nice threat! Learn so much!

I have this question.... I have been testing soywax now for quit some time now but cant get a nice flame.

The meltpool isnt an issue but the flame is not steady and easy allthough I have little musrooms and only smoke wenn the wicks gets to long.

My question is

Could the people who are testing right now sent in a tape of how the candle should burn in a jar? Then I can see the difference to my candles.

It doensnt have to be a long tape?

( Or should I make another threat with this question?):rolleyes2

THANKS!!

Anita

Hi Anita....Since my post was on GG Palm, it's very possible that many here on the board would not even see your post since it's attached to a title with "GG Palm". But, if you started a new thread with your question on soy in the subject line, then all soy users would be able to see it better. Your idea may just get lost in the shuffle in this particular thread. Does that make sense? HTH