Candlewic video

Thank you, Kyme! Guess I've been adding FO at too high a temperature (I add it at around 185). But you see, I thought it had to be high to let the FO mix well with the soy.... wrong, uh? :confused:

No, everyone has their own way, I just happened to find these instructions on AH/RE's site. They were simple and worked for me, I printed them on card stock and laminated it. It hangs on the cork board in my work space/ kitchen.

How Do I Make Soy Candles?

Melt point = 127° F

Flashpoint = 500° F

Instructions:

Wick container

Heat soy wax to 150° - 180° F

Add color

Remove from heat source

Add fragrance at 140° - 150° F

Pour into container at 95° - 110° F

I add scent just before pouring at 125.

I heard of someone who poured the wax and then IN the jar put the scent in. Stirred it a couple of 'rounds' .

I havent tried it yet afraid that the wick and all starts to float!!

and I quess that the top of th jars gets messy with wax?

She said this way I have a great scent throw.

What do you all think?

I add scent just before pouring at 125.

I heard of someone who poured the wax and then IN the jar put the scent in. Stirred it a couple of 'rounds' .

I havent tried it yet afraid that the wick and all starts to float!!

and I quess that the top of th jars gets messy with wax?

She said this way I have a great scent throw.

What do you all think?

I think that might be a good way to risk a fire.

When you mix in your FO or any additive what you want it to do is fully incorporate into the wax. There has been a lot of debate over what the best temp is for adding FO and you will get answers ranging from 125 degrees to 190 degrees. Some argue that the higher temps 'cook' away the scent while others argue the lower temp won't allow the FO to fully blend with the wax.

Personally I always blend FO at around 180-185 for soy which in turn will greatly reduce the heat of the wax. Others like the temp range of 150-165 to blend theirs. I do not recommend mixing FO in the candle container as it sounds like a good way to make sure it won't get fully blended. That has the potential of a fire hazard when lit if you have oil thats seeped out of the wax because it wasn't fully blended.

Another factor to remember is stirring the FO long enough to fully incorporate it into the wax. If you don't the temp won't matter as the oil will 'leak' out of the wax after you have poured and the wax cools and solidifies.

I think that's bunk. Who would want to stand over individual jars and stir in fo for pete's sake. I would guess that most of us stir the pour pot all through the pouring process. It may be fully incorporated but I stir it none the less, so as to err on the side of caution. You want fragrance from start to finish of the candle IMHO. The question you should ask yourself is whether your current process is giving you the desired results. Hang what everyone else does. The same thing applies to wax, wicks and fo combinations that blow out the doors for some but not others. HTH.

Steve

I think that's bunk. Who would want to stand over individual jars and stir in fo for pete's sake. I would guess that most of us stir the pour pot all through the pouring process. It may be fully incorporated but I stir it none the less, so as to err on the side of caution. You want fragrance from start to finish of the candle IMHO. The question you should ask yourself is whether your current process is giving you the desired results. Hang what everyone else does. The same thing applies to wax, wicks and fo combinations that blow out the doors for some but not others. HTH.

Steve

Sorry what does IMHO mean please?