Pumpkin Patch

Hello, I have been invited to set up a booth for my tarts at a local pumpkin patch. I am excited, this could be good for getting my tarts out there.

They sell pumpkins (obviously), straw bales, and other fall festive items. They have hay rides and a corn maze. It is a rural location, but they have a lot of people come through. Tarts would be a new thing there.

I wanted to go with the theme of pumpkins/fall, but not get too carried away. I was considering these pumpkin/fall scents. Any suggestions as to how many different flavors I should show up with? I've been following the best pumpkin thread! I worry I already have too many in mind!

What do you think Tart warmers too? Feel free to remove from the list as well as add to it! How many should I have prepared? 300 ish? I brought my tarts to a rummage sale I put on this summer and I sold around 300, plus got a store order for another 500. I know some of you are big, but that is BIG for me, I was so excited!:cheesy2:

Pumpkin Crunch Cake (NG)

50/50 Pumpkin Brulee (The candle Source) & Pumpkin Souffle (CS) as suggested

50/50 Pumkin Pie (KY) & Creme Brulee (KY) as suggested

3 to 1 Pumpkin Souffle (CS) and Cinnamon (Candlewic)

Harvest Pumpkin (Cierra)

Caramel Dip (elements or FOH)

Homemade Apple Pie (Bluegrass)

Nutty Taffy Apple (BCN)

Frosted Carrot Cake (I have BB carrot cake, I was going to add creme brulee)

Mulled Cider (Millcreek, snowtop, or )

Toasted Marshmallow (KY?)

Candy Corn (Sweet cream and creme brulee?)

Pumpkin Apple Butter (NG)

Amish Harvest (Peak)

Then I have my best sellers, would I bring those even if not 'fallish'? They would be like

Creme Brulee

Blueberry Muffins

Cinnamon Buns

Buttercream Snickerdoodle

Oh, I should bring my room sprays too! I'll stick with fall scents for them.

Edited by Prim-Beginnings
forgot a few

My favorite fall scents are:

CS cranberry marmalade

ICS Baked Apples

AH Celtic Moon Spice

Congrats on the opportunity!!

Oh and maybe like an autumn walk or leaves scent.

Edited by LeahRB
oops pressed enter too soon

Definitely bring your best sellers. You will be glad you brought a variety to the show. People will buy more and everyone has their own preference in scent. Some won't like pumpkin but love cranberry and so on.

I'd bring some tart burners to sell too if you have them. I find I can't sell tarts without them.

Edited by Candybee

By October our farm store is pretty much all pumpkin patch so your setting should be about the same as ours. Defintely, yes, to the melters - people won't buy tarts if they have to go to the inconvenience of tracking down a melter elsewhere - and yes to those bestsellers.

Even at a themed event I think it's important to have a well-rounded line-up. I don't carry more than 2 -3 pumpkin ones, along with another harvest-ish one and cinnamon. IMO too many scents in the same theme tends to confuse customers. Then I add some holiday ones - cranberry marmalade, winter blast, cinnaberry. Last year I sold more winter/Christmas stuff in October than in December so don't worry that it's too early. Then I have my year 'round favorites like lemon, black raspberry vanilla, sweet orange & chili pepper. Overall, I usually have up to 36 fragrances available but you could easily do less with some good choices.

Usually for fall, I carry 3 pumpkin scents, 3 apple scents, then I mix apple & pumpkin together for Apple Pumpkin Butter. I also carry 2 cranberry scents; one spiced and one plain. I throw in a couple of seasonal scents, a mint type scent, something with chocolate, coffee, maple, and a vanilla scent. Here's a typical fall scent list for me ...

Pumpkin Spice

Creamy Pumpkin Brulee

Orange Pumpkin

Homemade Apple Pie

Mulled Cider

Caramel Apple

Apple Pumpkin Butter

Spiced Cranberry

Cranberry Marmalade

Autumn Lodge

Harvest

Frosted Vanilla Cookies/Buttercream

Spiced Latte

Mint Chocolate Chip

Maple Pecan Crunch

I would definately sell tart warmers, and bring your best sellers. Good luck!

Edited by Candlebuddy

Just Scents has a great Chestnuts and Br Sugar. You can always call it Maple pecan or Walnut Maple. It throws and smells great. I love all your pumpkin scents and think they will sell very well at a pumpkin mart. 300 sounds like a lot of tarts and can only get bigger sales with tart warmers to go with them. Don't get the or at least don't get many themed ones, they have never sold well for me.

What does Hayride smell like from BCN? Fresh staw?

IMO it smells more like a sweetgrass type of blend, sort of more like fresh cut hay than dried bales of hay imo. And it throws like crazy at 1 oz pp in 464 soy. It's pretty unique. :cheesy2: I hths!

Carol K, I have alot of bakery scents & cinnamon because that seems to be what sell. For pumpkins I think I have settled on (testing) Harvest pumpking (cierra), 50/50 pumpkin pie & creme brulee (KY), Pumpkin crunch cake (NG) ... and Ol' South Pumpkin Pie (OT)

Candlebuddy, is your Pumpkin Apple Butter a personal blend? I have tried NG.

I have ordered a couple of apples to test, caramel dip (elements), apple cobbler (elements), homemade apple pie (bluegrass).

I have ordered a couple of fall scents to test,

autumn harvest (elements), mulled cider (millcreek), grandmas kitchen (cierra), maple nut crunch (bluegrass)

That is a decent start to test I think,

For Apple Pumpkin Butter, I mix 50/50 Pumpkin Pie Filling (ICS) and Apple Cinnamon (Berts) ... I got this mix from a post by carolk. However, you can mix any apple and pumpkin that you have.

I think mixing a spicy pumpkin with a mellow type of apple scent such as mulled cider (more apple than spice - Alabaster has a good one) or an apple pie (more buttery pastry than spice - BG has a good one) makes an excellent combo. I would suggest just taking what you have and doing a scent test ... take a q-tip, dip one end in a pumpkin scent, dip the other end in an apple scent, and then put the q-tip in a ziplock bag, give the scents some time to blend together, then take a sniff.

Since you mentioned the q-tip test I hope it's OK if I ask: how long is enough to let the two q-tips sit together? I always forget this tip even though it's repeated on here a million times, and I just ran and put a few things together:

'Pumpkin Pie Spice' + an apple cider mix I previously created, per your excellent suggestion

'Pumpkin Hollow' + that apple cider mix

'Pumpkin Hollow' + 'Falling Leaves'

'Pumpkin Hollow' + 'Falling Leaves'

*swoon! I think you and I have similar tastes! I'm always on the look out for unique and different scents. Just something out of the ordinary that I don't usually buy in candles.

This sounds lovely. If you need a candle tester, I'm more than happy to help! lol

I like the NG's Pumpkin Apple Butter too, but I just couldn't get a good throw in my wax ... I hate it when that happens! *shudder* Anyway, that's why I blend my own ... I love the scent of spice, pumpkin and apple; it screams Fall!

As for the q-tip test, I actually like putting the q-tip in a jar better ... I usually use a small baby food jar. I give it a couple of hours or so, I don't think it really matters.

Edited by Candlebuddy

• 3 months later...

Hello, me again. I just wanted to leave some followup about the pumpkin patch! It was a success!

My best seasonal sellers were Caramel Dip (elements), Pumpkin Apple Butter (Candlebuddys mix I think), Toasted Marshmallow (KY), and Pumpkin Souffle.

My best year round sellers cleaned house too! Thank you for all the input!

I'm sorry it took this long to get back, I have been busy, took a breather, and now I'm behind for Christmas!

Edited by Prim-Beginnings
typo