Lather Difference HP vs CP

candlemama

Question for you long-time soapers: do you notice a difference between HP and CP as far as lather? I'm still so new that my first CP batches are just now fully cured and ready to use. I've also been making HP and am now finally able to compare an HP bar and a CP bar side by side in the shower. So far I like the CP lather better. It's more abundant and creamier. Problem is, I've used a different recipe for every batch I've made so far. So I don't know if it's the recipe that's making the difference in lather or the process. I guess I need to use the exact same recipe to make a batch of CP and HP for a true comparison, but it will be weeks before I will be able to test them side by side in the shower.

Just wondering what your experience has been.

I make both HP and CP (mostly CP), and I love the lather in both. I must be the odd one out in that I find that my HP actually lathers better than my CP. I should add that this is only when both are new and freshly cured (4 weeks for CP and 2 weeks for HP). A few months later down the road they both lather the same to me. I use the same recipe for both.

MarieJeanette :)

Hmmm... I think I'll test it out by making a double batch and splitting it into two. Half right into the mold for CP and the other half into my oven for HP. It's the only way I'll know for sure which one lathers better, or if there's no difference at all! Thanks for all the replies. I'll let you know what I come up with.

• 3 weeks later...

I've found that CP and CPHP (crock pot hot process) have nearly identical lather after the CP has a chance to cure fully - I like to let my CP cure at least 8 weeks, and 4 weeks for HP. I have not been as impressed with the lather from oven-hot-process soap.

Hmmm... I think I'll test it out by making a double batch and splitting it into two. Half right into the mold for CP and the other half into my oven for HP. It's the only way I'll know for sure which one lathers better, or if there's no difference at all! Thanks for all the replies. I'll let you know what I come up with.

Remember to give them adequate cure time.

I've found that CP and CPHP (crock pot hot process) have nearly identical lather after the CP has a chance to cure fully - I like to let my CP cure at least 8 weeks, and 4 weeks for HP. I have not been as impressed with the lather from oven-hot-process soap.

Hi, I agree with this. So far my CP and CPHP have lathered the same.

I confess I mostly do CPHP now.

Interesting. I would never have thought there would be a difference between oven HP and crock pot HP! Anyone else notice this? I'll have to try CPHP (if I can get my husband to give up the crock pot for my soaps)!!

I think that it is all about the recipe coupled with cure time. My HP has fantastic lather. I have used many soaps in my life, and the method used to make the soap means nothing in respect to lather. It is the recipe and cure time together.