what are these and how are they made?

felixncharlie

http://www.pier1.com/Catalog/CandlesFragrance/CandlesFragrance/tabid/485/CategoryID/101/List/0/Level/a/ProductID/7712/ProductName/Buttercream-Vanilla-Fragrance-Beads/Default.aspx

I bought some in a different scent and the label says to prolong fragrance keep moistened. I think they are the beads you would put in vases at weddings etc but how are they scented? Would you just add your fo into the water?????

Thanks

I actually started working on this last week. I found two different types of beads, one at Hobby Lobby and the other at Jo Ann's. The one from HL is Deco brand and I can't recall the other. I also purchased liquid potpourri from HL. I started testing Tuesday. I put water and a little fragrance oil in one small container (yes I know water and oil don't mix) and some liquid potpourri in another. When I checked them last night the beads with the water and FO were larger than the beads with the potpourri - however they also had liquid left whereas the potpourri container was quite dry. I added additional potpourri to that container and I'll see what they look like tonight.

I am not sure anymore it been a long time since I have seen them I know they are still out there just do not have a clue where to look. The ones that where carrying them a few years ago are not any more.

You might also look in to making your FO water soluable by adding polysorbate 20 I do not know if that will work but it might.

Edited by Vicky_CO

I made something like this last year. I bought the beads that are to water flowers. Put water and FO in and when all plumped up I put in a vase that would fit under the lamp type candle warmer. Was hope ing the scent would work like a candle. Looked really nice with the light shinning through the water beads. Didn't smell much but I should have given to my tester since I have too many things going on. Just got busy with other things and didn't pursue.

• 2 weeks later...

I sell a ton of smelly jellies as well. I have a group that buys them @ wholesale to sell as a fundraiser. I just mix the water, FO & a little preservative in the jar and shake well. I usually shake again when they have absorbed about 1/2 the water/FO mix and they are fine. I will have to see if I can find the beads locally because I really like the way those look.

I was at the dollar tree the other day and saw what i thought was clear marbles in the floral section. When I looked closer they where these beads filled with water that they are selling for 1.00 a larger jar. The only issue is they are full with water so would not absorb more fluid such as the FO. But you could put them on a pan and air dry for a few days i bet then they would suck up the FO

I bought a few of those at my local Dollar Tree about a month or so ago.

All I did was put some in an 8oz jelly jar, added a drop of yellow food coloring and some fo.....I believe it was 2 pipettes full. The fo I used was Berts lemongrass...shook it up a little bit to get everything mixed together...put into a decorative glass container in my bathroom. It was a little bit cloudy at first but after a few hours it cleared up.

It's pretty much the same as smelly jelly to me but I think it looks much prettier.

I also got a fishbowl type glass bowl...put a regular glass votive holder in the center with a tealight...covered the votive with foil so the beads wouldnt end up in the votive holder and all over the tealight and surrounded the votive holder with the scented marbles and when lit it looks really pretty because you can see the flame through the marbles. I did this one in red and used Apple Jack and Peel for the scent.

I got many compliments from this on how pretty it was and wish I could post a pic of it but dont have a digital camera that works around here lol I hope I made sense on explaining how I did this. It didn't cost very much to do since the marbles and the bowl came from the dollar store and the glass votive holder was only a buck from Walmart.

• 5 weeks later...

I found the beads at Michaels and they are called aqua gems. Used for fresh flowers to keep water in. I mixed the water and fo and let them swell (you only need a bit for a 8 oz jar). After they swelled I drained any excess water. I actually like them better than smelly jelly because the water is totally absorbed and you can turn the jar over and nothing leaks out, unlike smelly jelly. Have one in my car and am testing how long it will last. I really like the look. Michaels has alot of different colors too. Some Walmarts have them too in a smaller package. Would love to hear what everyone is doing with these.

• 4 weeks later...

Anyone find that the plastic seal on the smelly jelly jars seems to "dissolve" over time? Got some from BC and WSP and both have been doing this. I did get some of the jars from NG and their lids are amazing but they don't sell separately.

• 4 years later...

I sell a ton of smelly jellies as well. I have a group that buys them @ wholesale to sell as a fundraiser. I just mix the water, FO & a little preservative in the jar and shake well. I usually shake again when they have absorbed about 1/2 the water/FO mix and they are fine. I will have to see if I can find the beads locally because I really like the way those look.

What kind of preservative do you add to the smelly jellies? TIA