Are you seriously able to get great scent throw at 1 oz / lb in soy?

I have used Peak's 'Amish Harvest' in paraffin votives, and it was kick arse strong at 1 oz / lb wax. I made it up in 70/30 container wax a week ago, same ratios, and am burning it this weekend and it just is not that powerful (wick is burning perfectly). It's just middling. So how are some of you really getting awesome throw in soy using 1 oz of FO??? I'm thinking of going down to Ollivander's and getting a magic wand. :angry2:

I have used Peak's 'Amish Harvest' in paraffin votives, and it was kick arse strong at 1 oz / lb wax. I made it up in 70/30 container wax a week ago, same ratios, and am burning it this weekend and it just is not that powerful (wick is burning perfectly). It's just middling. So how are some of you really getting awesome throw in soy using 1 oz of FO??? I'm thinking of going down to Ollivander's and getting a magic wand. :angry2:

Not all scents that work in paraffin will work well in soy. You really have to try them all out and also experiment with different temps for heating wax, adding FO to wax and pouring wax to find something that works for you.

It's a lot of work!

But short answer.. if you get it right, yes, you can get good throw at 1oz/1 lb.

I use on FO that I only need 1oz PP. That is a campfire smoke scent. Anything more that that people think their house is bunring down when they burn it. Plus that is a heavy oil and drowns out if I use more!! LOL

The rest average between 1.25 - 1.375oz pp.

That is what I found works for me. :cheesy2:

ETS - What RS said is right on regarding oils in Paraffin do not always perform as well in soy.

Soy is a PITA sometimes, keep testing and once you get your formula's down, it will all be worth it.

Edited by islandgirl

I use 10% with a 60/40 blend along with CO

I had to knock it down on some scents because a couple of my customers said the smell was so strong they had to blow out the candle periodically. Go figure.

10% is 1.6oz pp.. Some scents would be strong with that much. :)

You might want to cut back on the FO load and save yourself some $$...

Edited by islandgirl

Try some of these with the 70/30: Creme Brulee JBN (biggest seller and awesome throw, great mixer with pineapple, ect)

Fresh Linens JBN, 7 up Pound Cake NG, Indonesian Teak JBN, Apple Jack Peel and Christmas Cabin NG. Heck, I get some great throws from almost everyone but those fos are year round best sellers; especially the Creme Brulee. HTH

Steve

• 2 weeks later...

Especially because they are so close and I can drive there, I use Starrville in Tyler, TX. They have some wonderful fragrances. I only use 1 oz per lb. and I get great results. I use a 75/25 mix of 464 and 4627 and also add CO. The Country Clothesline that they have is so strong I have cut back to .5 oz because it was hurting my nose:smiley2:.

I find that my scent throw depends on the fragrance oil I am using. I've been very lucky with the stuff from candlescience, in that if I stick to the FO's which they say are very strong...they don't dissapoint. For my super-scented candles, I stick to 2 ounces per pound, I just toss in around 0.5 ounces of Vybar 103 per pound (yes in soy) to prevent bleeding and the cold throw alone will nearly knock someone down.

I haven't tried any of Peak's scents though.

Chris

I always used 1 oz pp Peaks Amish Harvest and thought it was perfect. Then I took a few months off from candle making/testing to gain back my sanity. When I lit the candle (10 oz square mason) recently, I couldn't stand how strong it was and had to blow it out. I'm sure it was mostly due to recovering from candle nose, but am wondering if throw continues to improve after the 2 week mark of curing.

Naomi