Property Values of Bar

Jokerjen

Is there a way to do this is reverse...choose the properties you want then have the soap calc tell you what oils to use?

I don't know of any calc, like that..

but you can play to your hearts content, changing oils, percents, ect. untll you get what you are looking for..

and when you get a recipe that you think you will like...

make a small 1 lb batch, and let cure and test it out..

see if it is moisturizing enough, bubbles enough...is it hard enough...ect..and twick until it is your own..

it is lots of fun...

i still twick mine everyonce in a while to get a different feel..

Is there a way to do this is reverse...choose the properties you want then have the soap calc tell you what oils to use?

Great News!! There actually is a reverse soap calc. where you can choose your properties and up to 5 oils. It's http://psinas.com/reverse_soapcal.php

It shows every combination of selected ingredients at 5% intervals.

I was just wondering what people thought about the properties, I realize everyone is different......

I need to plug in the recipe I made the other day, Although it has to cure, it has nice big and creamy bubbles and feels so conditioning on the skin...my hands were so soft.

I try to keep the iodine lower than 55 and the INS somewhere in the neighborhood of mid to upper 150s with 160 being balanced. I have a recipe that shouldn't be a great bar of soap but for my tastes it seems really good. People with sensitive skin would not be able to tolerate a highly cleansing bar of soap. IMHO.

I just picked some oils on the reverse calculator...what is a good hadness? What was your Jules? Your bars are pretty hard....

Generally mine is at a 41, BUT ... I do a few different things to my recipe, none that seem to affect the hardness number at all ... except when I tinker with RBO and OO ratios.

Maybe I haven't tried enough to get a 48 lol! It was exhausting just to get to 42 once and not like the recipe.

Well the recipe I formulated today shows as this

Hardness 40

Cleansing 21

Conditioning 52

Bubbly 25

Creamy 23

Iodine 71

INS 143

I forgot how much fun making soap is!Lol

I plan on having a few "specialty" bars and then a base recipe for the rest...and you know me..I am sooooo picky!lol

But your soap was nice...I absolutely adored that one bar..I have a small piece left at my kitchen sink..but it was a pretty floral scent..I generally am not a big fan of floral so much but this was nice.

I wouldn't judge your recipes by the property values. I know on my bar those values would be false for the most part, except that my bubbles and creaminess are pretty close to equal because there's such a foaming type of lather. Sugar is supposed to up the lather and SL is supposed to help make a harder bar and I would think those would affect properties along with any changes made outside of the initial bar. For instance, I use a different lye value for the amount of coconut I have in the recipe to make it not so harsh or drying.

Well the recipe I formulated today shows as this

Hardness 40

Cleansing 21

Conditioning 52

Bubbly 25

Creamy 23

Iodine 71

INS 143

I forgot how much fun making soap is!Lol

I plan on having a few "specialty" bars and then a base recipe for the rest...and you know me..I am sooooo picky!lol

But your soap was nice...I absolutely adored that one bar..I have a small piece left at my kitchen sink..but it was a pretty floral scent..I generally am not a big fan of floral so much but this was nice.

cleansing might be a little harsh..maybe try and get that down..

i don't know if you are useing coconut and palm or pko..but the 3 of them can contribute to the cleansing being a bit high....

soapcalc will say that iodine.. anything above 70 can contribute to a softer bar, which could take longer to cure, and could not be a long lasting bar..overall your recipe looks good..

just keep playing with the calc...don't be afraid of it..i have played around on it for hours..and it is surprising what just little differences in % can make..

it is fun..and once you start making soap..there is no turning back..:)

Well..I have washed my hands with little slivers off of both and my hands feel sooooo soft and it bubbled/lathered like no tomorrow!!!!

I just HATE waiting for them to cure!lol

I will need to invest in a few molds at some point..the hubby made me a couple log molds but they make MASSIVE bars!!! I still have to calculate my cost on them too.....

What value do you use? I've read about doing that on another forum and was curious about that.

Ahh, well that one I can't give away, BUT on soapcalc play with different oils in place of your coconut and see how it affects the lye number. I think just subbing the walnut oil value in there will give you a different number. I'm trying to think what one I really want to try to see what will happen to the soap. I can't remember what it was, but it is far lower than what I use by, if memory serves me right, 50 g.

Edited by Scented

Jokerjen, are you using alot of PKO to get your hardness/cleansing? I tried to up mine to get a harder bar but the cleansing properties were way high. If it is above a certain percentage it makes my skin go wonky. Just wondering how you got a 48. (without trying to be too nosy) My hardness of my bar is at a 41 (after alot of hard work) and I practically did the happy dance when I figured out how to get it THAT high! LOL

I did not use palm at all......

IMO, the answer is tallow. A 40% tallow bar will get you to a 48. 45% tallow will get you a 50 and a 50% tallow bar will get you a 53. These all have have 5% shea included in the recipe as well. It also depends on what other oils you use, but this is what I get with mine.