FO and pets

Hi. Since I am using soy wax, I hadn't really thought about the effect of the FO on cats, birds, and dogs. Someone said it might be toxic to them, especially cats. Since soy burns so cleanly and should give a great throw, I wondered what anyone thought on this subject. Thanks. Beth

I have 3 Golden retrievers.. and none of them have ever got sick from the Fo.. they tolerate it well.. But none of them has been exposed to the oil for licking ..anything on that order..just the smell and they are doing just great...

as far as cats and birds.. I cannot not tell you.. do not have them any more... my son now has my Amazon parrot.. and he burns my candles and the parrot has not been affected either ..nor his dogs or cat...

HTH

Cathy

Birds are sensitive because of their respiratory system. I have a relative who will only burn 3% FO scented candles (usually its unscented) with proper ventilation. She breeds tropical birds. Cats are sensitive to terpenes from EOs (some FOs are a blend of EOs and synthetics), and two respected authorities have different views on this - but I have it from a very reliable source that it is more due to contact with EOs than diffusing them in your home (do NOT put EOs on animals). However, I have cats and play it safe, I do not use straight EOs. I don't even like them in flea/tick treatments.

As far as FOs, look at it from a cat/dog/bird's perspective. A dog has 120 to 220 million odor-receiving cells, and a cat 200 million. We have only 5 million. Interesting short article at http://www.catsinternational.org/articles/senses_and_features/amazing_sense_of_smell.html. And one more: http://www.quakerville.net/qic/q_glade.asp .

I'm sure you'll have people tell you "I have made candles for years right next to my cat/bird/whatever with no problem". Good for them - they've been lucky. So, I would just use common sense. Animals need to be able to get to an open window or at least to a room/area where they can get away from that great-throwing candle. Unfortunately birds usually can't do that because they are stuck in cages and/or their wings are clipped to prevent flight.

EDIT: Spelling

Thanks Henryk. I have two cats, one dog, and two parakeets. I had a break from the candle making while doing the greenhouse. That is when the birds were added to the family. The cats and dog have always had free run of the whole house. But, I made 6 tester candles a few days ago and lucky for me all the windows were open since the birds sit right beside my candle making area. Guess I'll have to move to the basement. Had been contemplating that anyhow. I had been worried that 60 degrees would be too cold to pour. But, will try and see how it all comes out. After all, family is family! Thanks again. Beth

Oh no - don't let me force you into your basement ! Actually, I wouldn't worry about 1/2 dozen candles here and there. I do that myself but I don't do rows and rows of candles and make an income out of it like the pros here do. Funny though, I can really tell my cats don't like the smells and they don't like the flame - their face gets this really disguisted look when they pass by a candle.

PS. At least you have a basement ! :D

So what about customers. Should we put "do not burn near birds"? I dont want to get sued for killing someones bird. I have had quite a few customers ask me about this subject since they have birds. TIA

Tess, usually a bird owner (a responsible one) will know what is safe and what is not. Especially an exotic bird owner. I wouldn't worry about including anything like that on a label. If they ask, I'd refer them to their vet.

I own a parrot and bird systems are very sensitive like Henry said. I wouldn't recommend a candle, soy or paraffin burn near a bird. Also, I wouldn't use a tart warmer near a bird. There are a lot of everyday household cleaning chemicals that are very toxic to birds. Even though some say soy burns soot-free, there are still toxins that are released. It's just better to play it safe.

• 2 weeks later...

I have cats and the FO's do not bother them.I do not use EO's.

For the person moving to the basement.We do our candles in the basement and the scent travels up through the vents. We make sure the windows are open now as one scent we used was so powerful we had to fumigate the whole house.It was apple pie and was told to triple scent.Wrong.I gagged myself and opened all doors and windows and closed the vents upstairs.I do at times have trouble breathing the scents but really that triple scented was to much and not needed anyway.It was one candle I wasn't able to burn. TO strong.It was our first candle.So you know how that was.>Lesson learned.Never that mistake again.

Gotta chime in and tell my tale with my kitty,

This past Christmas I was making candles for gifts. I also do all my candle making in my basement. While I am making candles my kitty watches me and bugs me. She loves sniffing my scents with me. Sounds nuts but she does. lol

(this is a kitty who loves to smell roses too LOL)

Anyways, The next day I started smelling my Zen Christmas scent really strong upstairs. I couldn't figure out why. For the whole day it would come and go. Then that night I found out why...

My Kitty must have knocked down my bottle of scent, then rolled around in it. Oh yeh, she stunk baaaad...LOL, I got worried right away with the way she is always cleaning herself. So I did the dreaded..I gave her a bath.

She hated me of course, and after about 20 claw marks later I got the deed done. She still stunk bad.

The next day I called my vet to see if I should worry. The vet said just keep an eye on her and watch to see if she starts acting funny. I kept an eye on her, she kept 1 on me too. lol ..She never did get sick and momma started making sure all scents were put away from kitty.

Now if anyone has ever used the Zen, you know how strong that stuff is. But my kitty didn't mind.:D She just stunk for about a week....

No point to the story, just what happened to my kitty with the scent. She survived it thankfully.

I agree with Henryk. Cats lack the enzyme in their liver to metabolize terpenes, and they can build up to toxic levels with routine exposure. There are conflicting reports on what is/what is not safe to use around cats, but my advice (which is the same for dogs) is always to 1) Never use EOs or FOs directly on them. 2) Clean up any spills, etc. immediately since they can walk through them and then ingest it from cleaning themselves. 3) When making/burning/otherwise working with EO/FOs, always make sure they can get away from where you are working/burning. 4) Keep all EO/FOs out of the reach of pets! (Common sense one- but printed on all my labels- Keep out of the reach of chidren and pets.)

Here are some links:

http://www.cfainc.org/articles/potpourri.html

http://www.thelavendercat.com/generic.html?pid=10

http://www.thelavendercat.bigstep.com/generic17.html

http://www.holisticat.com/aromatherapy.html

Hey Moonrose 64...too funny. One of our cats would probably do the same. The other would have to be anesthetized to have a bath! As to all the basement users, what temperature is your basement? Mine is unheated but stays near 70 in the summer and 55-60 during the winter. Think those temps are ok for pouring 100% soy? I'm spooked enough to move it all to the basement...Also, the move would prevent my kitchen, bedroom, stairway, livingroom etc. messes! Seems once you start, you just keep expanding your area. Still LOL at your story! :D Beth

Hey Moonrose 64...too funny. One of our cats would probably do the same. The other would have to be anesthetized to have a bath! As to all the basement users, what temperature is your basement? Mine is unheated but stays near 70 in the summer and 55-60 during the winter. Think those temps are ok for pouring 100% soy? I'm spooked enough to move it all to the basement...Also, the move would prevent my kitchen, bedroom, stairway, livingroom etc. messes! Seems once you start, you just keep expanding your area. Still LOL at your story! :D Beth

Yup, I have a doozie for a kitty.

My basement is a finished basement with heat so I can keep it at any temp I need to. I'm not sure what people do without heat in their basements.

I also have a fireplace in it too. lol I have been known to sit by the fire sipping some wine while I'm waiting for my candles to set. lol I just gotta watch my intake of that good wine tho.:D

My basement isn't heated so candles come up in the winter.Not easy but have to do it.I could heat the basement but only with small heaters now and electric is high enough.

Our first candles not only did we overdo the FO we left them in the basment to cure.I wondered why they got whitish.So I learned.I am so glad just a couple candles and it was red.If white I would never figured it out the first time we tried candles in the basement.The are sensitive to the cold.In fact when I was at the candle suppy place and a new lady was there she started a conversation asking me how I did and she started out with a pillar and decided not for her.Asked me about containers and I said that is better to start.I then told her be sure if you ever do in a basement bring them up the stairs to cool.That was one great pointer I could give her.I didn't want her to test a bunch at one time and then end up with all of them frosty.

So with a heated basement that is the way.Maybe someday we will put heat there but the space heaters are not that great and very expensive to use.My real dream is a place out back of my house where nothing inside taking up space.I like things where they are supposed to be.Not tucked away so I can't see them till craft show time.Also those stairs are killing me taking them up and down.Candles are back down since warmer weather.

Won't be long when making new inventory, candles will be back upstairs to cure.