Weight question...probably a very stupid one!!

Ok, so I am in the process of testing out bases for a small line of bath and body products. I was working with a 4 oz. sample of unscented base that I planned to pour into two 2 oz. bottles. Thing is, after I mixed in the FO, put the empty bottle on my scale, tared it to 0 and poured until my scale read 2 oz, my bottle was only half full. I poured the remainder into the other bottle and the same thing happened. It happened with both shower gel and lotion. I didn't bother to try body spray because I didn't want to waste it.

So my question is, how am I supposed to weigh these things to fill up my bottles? Is the base listed by weight, but the finished product by volume? I'm so used to working with just candles that I assumed it was the same way - all weight instead of liquid volume - but it looks like I was wrong. Please help because until that happened I was having a blast and I can't wait to try them out in the shower!!

Oh and feel free to laugh, because I'm sure this is a really stupid question. I am usually fairly intelligent but every now and then my brain goes flying out the window :rolleyes2

Bottles and jars are listed as to the "fluid ounces" they will hold. Unfortunately, when making soap and other products, one is taught to do everything in "weight ounces". For a heavy product like lotion or shower gel, 2oz in weight will occur before filling a 2oz bottle.

What I've found useful is to weigh a measuring cup, tare to zero, pour my product into the measuring cup to desired fluid ounces, check weight, add correct percentage of FO.

I don't go super strong or heavy on any of my FO, so it is a minimal increase in the volume. Most bottles will hold a smidge more than the advertised amount, also. I still get extra sometimes, but my daughters snatch it up quickly, or I use it. :cheesy2:

Edited by Faerywren

That's what I thought after I saw what happened. I wonder why it's done that way? With candles I can kind of understand, since it changes form by the time it becomes the finished product, but if all you have to do is add a few drops of FO to an unscented base, it just becomes a scented base when you're done! Weird...thank you kindly for your answer!

The bottle volume is based on the volume of water. Water has the same volume as weight. For example, 8 ounces of water weighs 8 ounces and fills a one cup measuring cup exactly.

That isn't true with lotion. It is heavier than water so 8 ounces by weight doesn't fill a one cup measuring cup.

You need to weigh a container, then fill it and then weigh it again. Subtract the weight of the container and you have the weight of your product.

The small amount of FO that you're adding won't make much difference to the volume.

Edited by Carrie

The bottle volume is based on the volume of water. Water has the same volume as weight. For example, 8 ounces of water weighs 8 ounces and fills a one cup measuring cup exactly.

That isn't true with lotion. It is heavier than water so 8 ounces by weight doesn't fill a one cup measuring cup.

You need to weigh a container, then fill it and then weigh it again. Subtract the weight of the container and you have the weight of your product.

The small amount of FO that you're adding won't make much difference to the volume.

Wow! Thanks Carrie.

You're welcome. I know that fluid ounces and ounces are very confusing.

I actually saw Alton Brown say on his cooking show that 8oz of buttermilk was the same weighed as measured. I wonder how many people corrected him.

I actually saw Alton Brown say on his cooking show that 8oz of buttermilk was the same weighed as measured. I wonder how many people corrected him.

the specific gravity of pure water is 1.00, and that of milk is about 1.03 so I'd guess it's close enough for government work.

Edited by CareBear