Bert's Fragrance Oils

Pierre

I must say that, given they are almost all $9.99/lb I am VERY impressed. I was extremely skeptical and ordered only a couple of samples (Clean Cotton, Wash Day, Cucumber Melon, and Honeydew Melon) and, they are ALL very strong throwing. In fact, I absolutely ADORE CandleScience and Bert's Cuc Melon FAR outthrows the CS version. Although the CS version is probably a slightly truer dupe to the BBW version, the Bert's one is significantly stronger.

So, now that my skepticism is out of the way I was wondering if any of you have any suggestions for some VERY strong throwing oils from Bert's. I have searched and for sure will be ordering the Dark Chocolate Mint that you all rave about.

I just a paraffin container blend, by the way, so their performance in soy isn't a big concern (to me).

I would love to hear some suggestions for oils that throw very strongly and, if possible, and in the spirit of helping each other out, some oils that did NOT do well for you, so that I might stay away from those.

Thanks in advance to everyone.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you mind me asking how well they all throw? The purpose of this thread is actually to get a feel for their strongest throwing oils.

Favorites, in terms of how they smell, are subjective. What I like, you might not, and vice versa, but, scent throw is slightly less subjective. Are there any that you would say throw particularly well?

I use paraffin and parasoy. Raspberry brulee is a very strong thrower; so is Aspen forest. Another very strong thrower for me is Lemongrass. Coolwater type is also a killer thrower.

Bert's got some excellent FO, she answers emails promptly and she ships very quickly!

Oh, it may help you to know that for me her Coconut did not throw well at all. Many here mentioned Candy cane being a strong thrower, but it did not work for me. Wasn't impressed with Lemon biscotti pie and Coconut lime either. HTH

I have used Love Spell, Lemongrass, Monkey Farts, Blueberry, Grapefruit, Pomegranate, Creme Brulee, Aspen Forest, Bayberry, and Satin Sheets. They all had great HT. The only one that I had problems with was the Cherry FO. I had a strong fuel smell when I burned it. But I only poured one tester so it could have been over wicked. Or I might need to just use less. I will have to test more with it.

I love berts Lemongrass...throws great in parasoy

A few other good ones I have from her are Black Cherry(super strong)

Dark Choc mint...super strong throw

Raspberry...strong

coconut...semi strong

Cinnamon Plum...great throw

Key Lime Pie yuuuummmmmy!

Theres a few more but I haven't had much coffee yet so my thinking isn't at 100% yet :)

Plumeria - NOT a dupe, even though she says it is

Monkey Farts - THE BEST OUT THERE

Lily of the Valley - strong and true

Mocha Cappuccino - WOW

Cappuccino Hazelnut - WEAK

Dark Mint Chocolate (or whatever she calls it now) - VERY STRONG, but all of the oil won't incorporate into the wax

Pomegranate - not a fan at all (weird tart smell)

Juniper Breeze - too strong, if that's possible

Hawaiian Tropics - OOB I smell only banana, but in the wax, smells just like suntan oil

Fresh Pear - reminds me of a sour apple jolly rancher

Pineapple - smells like the fruit straight out of the can

Angel - YUM

Warm Vanilla Sugar - light, but a very nice dupe

Redwood & Cedar - fabulous!!

Oatmeal Raisin Cookie - has it all but the calories ;)

Oatmeal Milk & Honey - it's really hard to screw this one up

Lavender - a perfumey lavender, not essential lavender

Honeysuckle - dead on

Gardenia - I personally hate this flower, but it smells like it (strong)

Fig & Melon - my personal favorite of hers

Columbian Coffee - super strong

Cinnamon Buns - the best I've tried so far

April Fresh Downy - dead on

Amber Romance - exact dupe

Hope this helps :)

I have tried several of Bert's oils and have been nothing other than impressed. I wish she hadn't discontinued the Maple Orchard, though. Love that one! So yummy for Fall.

Here's what I have found to be strong throwers in paraffin:

Apple Dumpling ~ yummy

Aspen Forest

Creme Brulee

Raspberry Creme Brulee

Dark Chocolate Mint ~ knock-your-socks-off strong!

Fig & Melon ~ different and really good

Green Tea

Honey Spice Cake ~ awesome

Peanut Butter Crunch ~ mmmmm...and I don't like peanut butter

Pumpkin Custard Spice ~ great pumpkin scent

Redwood & Cedar ~ guys love this one, but so do I

Edited by nmhoneybear

oh yes vanilla latte is yummy.

I really like her grapefruit also....smells like the real thing.

I was going to try the Pink sugar but after reading that it's not so great I'll pass....thanks for the heads up on that one :)

What is the predominant note in this? Pumpkin or sweet custard? Or spice? I'd love more stuff that is strong on the pumpkin and light on the other notes.

Mmmm...just sniffin this now. I want to drink it! LOL

To me it smells strong on the pumpkin, but I can also smell the custard. Actually, it smells like her Creme Brulee in there. Maybe I should pour it again. Have not done so in a while.

Edited by nmhoneybear

i have several of her fo's - and love most of them! i use j223 (4633 now) and a generic (local) tart wax and here are some that throw great for me.

monkey farts-super strong, no need for any more than 1 oz.

paradise - love this!!! listed as a floral but definately smells oceany

rain - sorta clean & floral, but throws great

lemon biscotti - excellent - throws great using 1 1/4 oz

coconut - throws great, but i use more than 1 oz also makes a great mixer with mango, lime, vanilla, and my new summer favorite, the paradise mentioned above(plus a bit of salty sea air from keystone)

rosewood and cedar - great throw in tarts

sea glass (limited supply scent) - smells good, ok throw

she also had a discontinued scent called Old Front Porch, which is awesome!! if it pops up again i will definately get more, sorta fresh, but manly and clean too

so-cal - a hollister dupe-smells awesome oob, but not much throw in candles or tarts. might work for B & B though. wish it did cause it smells great

pomegranite - not so swift, i smell a vanilla in this

cashmere - smells really strong oob, but very very soapy-i won't use it

i have more that smell great oob, but haven't used yet. her shipping is fast and since her prices are so good, when she has a sale i go crazy!

have fun trying them out - kris

The one fragrance I really did not like at all is Red Hot Cinnamon. I had purchased that one a couple of months ago(right before xmas) and yick....smelled soapy and not much of a cinnamon scent. I was very disapointed in that one being I'm a cinnamon lover.

Her regular cinnamon though is good....not super strong but made a great mixer.

The one I really want to try next is the lemon biscotti....yummm that sounds tasty :)

Oh and her Candy Cane is great too :)

I love the scent of "Seaglass" but it is one of the crap performers. I couldn't get much throw in votives and have reworked it several times in 70/30 container wax now with multiple different wicks and going up on the FO (too much soot with that). I've about given up on it as just not a good performer, but I will keep tinkering with it comsidering I really like it and I've got a bunch left.