Do you add extra FO or refresher bottles?

CandleMama6

Hi all,

I was wondering if any of you add extra FO to wickless candles or melts/tarts or if you add a refresher bottle of FO in like 1/2 dram size so that the scents can be refreshed when they fade?

I had someone ask me about a refresher bottle and thought I would get some input on what others do.

Thanks in Advance for the help!!

My guess is you are probably putting the maximum amount of FO allowed in your wax already to make your melts highly scented. Since each wax is different and will hold a specific percentage of FO recommended by the manufacturer its not a good idea in general to add more. Any more and you may have oil seepage and the customer could end up with a greasy melt to clean out of their melter.

I've added more FO to my own melts and found that after a while they either start getting oily or messy to clean up.

Why would you want to offer a refresher bottle anyway? Isn't the whole idea for them to want to buy more melts from you.

I think I would sell the oil as a scented warmer oil instead. I love putting FOs in my tart warmer bowls and scenting the room with the heated oils. This is also how I try out different oil blends by mixing them and heating in my warmer. Lots of cute oil warmers you could sell as a package with the oils.

I have a large wickless candle that I just dumped the wax out of after 6 months. It was made with comfort wax so it never got a nasty smell. Was about 25 oz of wax and whenever I couldn't smell much of a scent I would add about 1 oz and stir. I could have kept it going forever, maybe. The jar looks like crap with a hard brown cooked on wax or FO, not sure. But I washed out as good as I could and I'm filling with a summer scent. I suggest paraffin for wickless it really last a long time and you can add extra scent. If you want to sell a bunch I wouldn't give her too much extra FO. Just suggest a fresh new wax after so long.

Also this candle was on 24/7 with the Irvin punched tin candle warmer. It's a very large warmer heated with a light bulb.

http://www.irvins.com/product_detail.asp?item_no=X733RGS&top_category_id=11&return_url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.irvins.com%2F%2Fsearch_results.asp%3Fcategory%3D11%255F1%26top_category_id%3D11

Edited by Sharon in KY

We had thought about this also at one time, but the cost to package and label the bottles was just not worth the time. Our thought was why would someone pay $3.50+ for the refresher bottle and not just buy some more tarts for $2.00? So stocking up on tarts they go :) xoxo

Oh and no we do not add extra FO. Our tarts are made the same as our containers, votives, and tea lights. :)

Edited by EccoLights