taylored votive

I was wondering .. I have seen posts from others in here who shop taylored concepts in Dallas tx. I live fairly close to there so it is more cost effective for me to get wax from taylored. They recently quit carrying IGI 4794 which was my votive wax. I have since ordered 3 cases of their taylored votive which is the replacement custom blend they now carry.

The first case was fine... shrank more.. but livable... and the scent throw is better than I got with 4794...The second case ... shrank way bad... pulled the wicks in the votives sideways and crooked and down.. no matter what I did to try to stop it... I called thinking it was a bad batch and they sent a replacement case at no cost. They are wonderful people.

However this case was the same. I just don't know what to do.. it is just too much work for a votive... actually needs a third pour to be truely topped off and with the wicks crooked it will not burn properly... way too much shrinkage... is just not gonna work.. but I have a large order I am trying to fill so I have to fight through this one somehow.. or drive somewhere and get a different wax. I am still trying different things.. even relief holes as ludicrous as that sounds in a votive. haha.

I really miss my igi. lol! but I notice that peak has stopped carrying it too... so maybe something is up with igi waxes????

anyway.. my question is.. have any of you who by from taylored had this problem with votives? and also from anyone else... any and all Ideas would be greatly appreciated. including any replacement wax ideas..

thank you bunches!

Daisy Fairy

I know.. Robert and Kimberly are angels! We love them.

I just thought someone might have some advice for me with this since I have this order to finish or possibly another wax possibility.. The wicks are being pulled so crooked That my initial assumption was this HAD to be a pillar blend and they accidently put the wrong thing in the wrong box.. and even when it burned it began to tunnel.. I called and talked to robert then and went through the whole process of temps, oils.. etc.. and he immediately sent another case at no cost saying he was not sure what was up. but I am now of the mind that it is just the way this wax is.. and so I am going to contact them and pay for this case.. I feel this is only the right thing to do by them, as I said we love them. :)

The shrink pit is going an inch to an inch and a half down and pulling the wick with it... But now I am testing with relief holes and so far that is looking good. I think it may work.. but can't be sure yet.

I was also curious to see if anyone else was having this problem with this particular wax. I know my temps are right and I preheat molds and pour pots to reduce dipping.

thanks

Daisy Fairy

Sorry to hear you are having problems. I have been testing their new 50/50 parasoy and like it. It doesn't throw all of my FO's, but it throws the ones that won't throw in my straight soy, so I think I am going to buy a case of it just for those. I enjoy going over there, they have a nice little showroom. I always end up buying more than what I went for.

I haven't tried the 10 degrees cooler yet.. I am pouring at 175 first pour now.. 165 would be the absolute lowest without getting surface flaws I think .. but I may try that.. thank you very much for the advice. I did these last two tests doing releif holes by the wick.. which is really entirely too much work for a votive, considering how many I make..but that seems to have worked and kept the wick straight. so that may be an option just to get this order out... however I may try pouring one at 165 just to see...

I thought about the wick pins.. I have a place to get them at a pretty good price so that is an option. My hubby and business partner is rather against them.. He likes the hand-poured look that we get by hand placing the wicks as they cool.. I mentioned the wick pins cause I know that would be less work actually and easier to keep centered.. unfortunately .. I lost the battle. lol.

Daisy Fairy

Another suggestion would be to look into AAA Candle Supply -- they're like 2 blocks away from Taylored. I don't use the wax you're asking about & I've never ordered from AAA, just thought it might be another option to consider. BTW, I've ordered a lot of fo's from TC & am in no way trying to steer business away from them -- they've always been great.

Susan.

Oh, don't worry... taylored is and will be my main distributor.. I order oils, wax, molds, containers.. just about all my supplies. I have been really happy with them.

I will look into aaa... if they carry the 4794 I may consider them. I can't see poking relief holes for votives in order to get the wicks to stay centered.. but I will continue to play with the temps and anything else I can think of ... in the mean time.

Thank you for the option.... though.

DaisyFairy

I thought about the wick pins.. I have a place to get them at a pretty good price so that is an option. My hubby and business partner is rather against them.. He likes the hand-poured look that we get by hand placing the wicks as they cool.. I mentioned the wick pins cause I know that would be less work actually and easier to keep centered.. unfortunately .. I lost the battle. lol.

Daisy Fairy

Hi, I'm quite new at this, but maybe I have a suggestion. If you still have some wax left of what you bought and want to use it, why not use the wick pins (I can't imagine working without them) but put in the wick before you do the repour to correct the relief holes (that is if you repour when the votive is reasonably cool and you can get it out the mold). That way you should still get a hand finished look. I have done this before and it works reasonable well even if it is a bit of a mission...

That is an idea and I might play with it some time when I have some time.. the only thing I would worry about with this is the temp on the second pour.. would have to be pretty precise.. if the bottom gets too cool in order to get it out of the mold easily then you run the chance of the second pour not adhearing to the first and getting a split or breakage at that point. but would be worth looking in to.

thanks for the suggestion! I will definitely play with it when i have some time.

DaisyFairy