TBK Colors - How do I Mix??

CandleMama6

I use about 1/4 tsp of the mica per lb to get a good color going and add more if needed. The mica powders are stubburn to incorporate into the base but it can be done. Try putting them in a bit of glycerin and blending before adding to your melted base. It will make it easier to blend. I found it also helps to pop the melted base back into the microwave and give it another short burst or two to help for the last bits to blend in and get rid of stubburn specks of mica.

The best color to use are the liquid colors from TKB. Get the ones that are non-bleeding thou. I believe the POP colors also come in the liquid along with a whole lot of other liquid colors to choose from.

Are you using the powders or the liquid colors? I have both the powders, which I use for make up, and the liquid, which I use for soap. The liquid is just the powder dispersed in glycerin. If you have some glycerin, you can mix it up yourself.

I've found with the liquid Pop colors, I can't get a deep, rich color in the white M&P base. I suppose if I used a lot I could, but then I'm pretty sure my suds wouldn't be white any more! If you look in the gallery, I posted a pic of some red and green watermelon soap. I colored the white base a green color, which you can see isn't very dark, and my suds are very slightly tinged green.

In the clear base, I can get a darker, richer color with about half as much mica. So what I've been doing, for the most part, is coloring the clear base, leaving the white base uncolored, and then swirling the two together.

I use about 1/4 tsp of the mica per lb to get a good color going and add more if needed. The mica powders are stubburn to incorporate into the base but it can be done. Try putting them in a bit of glycerin and blending before adding to your melted base. It will make it easier to blend. I found it also helps to pop the melted base back into the microwave and give it another short burst or two to help for the last bits to blend in and get rid of stubburn specks of mica.

The best color to use are the liquid colors from TKB. Get the ones that are non-bleeding thou. I believe the POP colors also come in the liquid along with a whole lot of other liquid colors to choose from.

I added the color directly to the soap base and I did pop it back in the microwave after. It was supposed to be lavender and is a gross grayish color. I don't have the liquid but was thinking of getting some of those to try as well.

Are you using the powders or the liquid colors? I have both the powders, which I use for make up, and the liquid, which I use for soap. The liquid is just the powder dispersed in glycerin. If you have some glycerin, you can mix it up yourself.

I've found with the liquid Pop colors, I can't get a deep, rich color in the white M&P base. I suppose if I used a lot I could, but then I'm pretty sure my suds wouldn't be white any more! If you look in the gallery, I posted a pic of some red and green watermelon soap. I colored the white base a green color, which you can see isn't very dark, and my suds are very slightly tinged green.

In the clear base, I can get a darker, richer color with about half as much mica. So what I've been doing, for the most part, is coloring the clear base, leaving the white base uncolored, and then swirling the two together.

Do you know what the ratios would be in mixing the glycerin and powder? I never thought about a white or goats milk color making it harder to color, but now that you mention it, it makes sense. I will have to try some in the clear and try mixing the two to see how it works. I was just really, really disappointed at the icky grayish color I got in place of a lavender color.

Do you know what the ratios would be in mixing the glycerin and powder? I never thought about a white or goats milk color making it harder to color, but now that you mention it, it makes sense. I will have to try some in the clear and try mixing the two to see how it works. I was just really, really disappointed at the icky grayish color I got in place of a lavender color.

I haven't tried it myself yet but saw that Marisa has made a whole bunch of them! She gives instructions here, scroll to the bottom:

http://www.craftserver.com/forums/showthread.php?t=91281

Looks pretty easy. I may try it once I run out of the liquid dyes from TKB Trading.

Candlemama I mix my pop colors with a little Distilled water before adding it to the soap. If you are using Goatsmilk you will get kind of a grayish tint to the soap. If I add GM I add a little TD to the Base before adding the Grape Pop Mica. I add about 3/4 teaspoon of the Grape Pop Mica to 2 pounds of soap for a medium color.

Barbara AL

Candlemama I mix my pop colors with a little Distilled water before adding it to the soap. If you are using Goatsmilk you will get kind of a grayish tint to the soap. If I add GM I add a little TD to the Base before adding the Grape Pop Mica. I add about 3/4 teaspoon of the Grape Pop Mica to 2 pounds of soap for a medium color.

Barbara AL

What is TD?

Sure you can use the oil dispersable just pull out some of the oil from your batch to mix it with before adding the lye to it.

You might want to warm your oil just a little in the microwave for 10 seconds or so the TD will mix in better.

Barbara

Edited by Barbara AL