Best Lip Balm Sweetner

Who do you think has the best sweetner for lip balms that disperse in your base and does not give a "gritty" feel and sweetens the entire base equally? I've tried AH/RE which is a Stevia product in coconut oil but it does not totally disolve in my base. I've heard good things about MMS's sweetner but do not know exactly what it is. Anyone know? What about Oregon Trail...how did that perform? Also the product offered by NG which is sorbital has not been having good reviews - not disolving in your base which leaves the last half of your balm base sweeter than the first part unless you continually stir. Kinda looking for a "natural" sweetner but it's not manditory.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

Sweetening the entire batch evenly? If you aren't stirring, I guess I can see that.

I personally prefer the liquid stevia, heated for about 30 seconds.

Then again, I'm not looking to make a really sweet batch of lip balm either. I don't see a need for it or for encouraging people to constantly lick their lips.

I tried the NG Sorbitol. It took quite a bit to get the lip balm barely sweet at all but I didn't have an issue w/it mixing in. I think I used 3/4 tsp. flavor to 1/2 tsp Sorbitol for 1 ounce of lip balm. They have recently changed their site to recommend using 3xs the amount of Sorbital as flavoring. I haven't tried that much but I would think it might be hard to mix in.

I tried the NG Sorbitol. It took quite a bit to get the lip balm barely sweet at all but I didn't have an issue w/it mixing in. I think I used 3/4 tsp. flavor to 1/2 tsp Sorbitol for 1 ounce of lip balm. They have recently changed their site to recommend using 3xs the amount of Sorbital as flavoring. I haven't tried that much but I would think it might be hard to mix in.

that is a LOT of flavor. most are 1-3%. 3% (the max I've seen) is less than 1/5 teaspoon (less than 1 ml) per ounce of balm.

ETA: NG doesn't seem to have the sorbitol any longer. the link exists on some pages but doesn't take you anywhere.

Edited by CareBear

I think NG removed the link because of people having issues with it. With the recommended usage rate it had seepage issues (I think is what I read). It's a shame because I just bought some and received it this week but have not tried it because on their Facebook page people were have such issues. Just my luck!!

I guess I'm no help because I use the AH/RE sweetener and have not had a problem with it mixing in. It only takes a little bit and it is plenty sweet. I have gently heated the sweetener on it's own before I used it.

I'd try different sweeteners and find something else.

I use very finely powdered stevia from the health-food store that I suspend in castor oil myself. I stress finely powdered stevia because stevia powder doesn't dissolve in oil, and if you use a brand that's on the more grainy side your balm will probably end up grainy, too. The one I have is so fine that its the consistency of baby powder, and so far, so good- no grainies in my balm. I use very little of it, too- just enough sweetness to ehance my flavor oil while leaving a subtle hint of sweetness behind on the lips.

Also- about a week or 2 ago I experimented and made a balm with white chocolate chips @ 3% as my sweetener. I melted it along with my butters and wax. So far, it's holding up great with no grainies.

MarieJeanette :)

I used MMS Sugar Kisses (I *think* it's saccharin, but I'm not 100% certain...) and really liked it but it is pricey and I was using 2-3%. With the AH/RE, which I've only just started using, I can use a whole lot less and feel a little better about it.

I do understand the gritty issue, but I haven't noticed it being a huge problem in my finished balms yet.

If you find the perfect sweetener, let me know!

I may have to rethink the sweetner from AH/RE again and just keep stirring in between pours. They are close to me and I can get shipments the next day which is great. Never realized sweetners were this difficult. I've tried not using any and for some reason here they don't seem to like them. I only use a tad when I do sweeten so they are only slightly sweet so I can't figure out why people don't like them unsweetened...I guess it's just what you get used to.

Thanks everyone for all your input. Next time I'm at the health food store I'll look for the finely ground Stevia.

I've tried liquid stevia (the one I had was mixed with glycerin, so it didn't really mix too well). I've tried OT's and from what I remember it was good. MMS I've tried and it was okay too.

I got a small bottle from Sweetcakes that I have yet to try. I'm no longer sweetening my balms, but I remember trying a tiny taste of sweetcakes and it wasn't bitter and could tell it was going to be sweet. I believe it is derived from licorice. If I ever get around to trying it I'll update with my results.

• 3 weeks later...

I've used sweetcakes and it made my balm go grainy.. The ONLY way I know it was the sweetener was because I've used the same recipe for years and all I changed with these three batches, made about a week apart, was that I tested the sweetcakes sweetener... all three batches went grainy :angry2: I was bummed! it tasted fine, I love their lip balm flavor oils... but the sweetener was a no go. I went back to liquid stevia and voila... back to normal. totally weird.

I might try the powdered stevia soon, I dont want my lip balms *sweet* in fact I'm kinda known for them NOT being sweet, but since I use essential oils instead of flavor oils, it is nice to add a bit.

I don't have that problem, Luminous - but then again I use ButterEZ cuz my butters were causing problems anyway.

Wanted to say that I also really like, and have used for ages, Sugar Kisses. Cannot remember where it's from cuz I got it through the classies and through co-ops over the years.

I should try it again now that I live in Utah... its humid and colder up in WA, here, no humidity and always warm in our house whether its 100 outside in the summer or 20 outside in the winter.. the house is always maintained at 68* so maybe I wont have the same affect this time. It has been at least 3 years since I tried the sweetcakes sweetener and got those results

I too am looking for a good sweetener for lip balms. The ones I found are horrible. I have many lip balm flavor oils, and I know most use no sweetener, but I just dont like the taste of the flavor oils, I have looked several places for the liquid stevia with no luck in finding it.

Or even to find good pre-sweetened oils, that didnt have a bitter taste.

Any suggestions are much appreciated.

SP209, do you have any health food stores locally? Thats where I've always found my liquid stevia. If not, even walmart has the powdered stevia - and sometimes walgreens/kroger stores have the liquid kind in the health section as well. You want the VERY finely powdered stevia if thats what you choose to use.

Brambleberry carries it, Natures Garden does too. NG has no % suggestion, BB has a 1% suggestion. Stevia is SUPER sweet, so if you were using it with a flavor oil that already had some sweetness, I might not even use that much.