Integrity of Dollar Tree Status Jars?

Hi all, seeking information from anyone who uses the Dollar Tree status jars. I had one fall about 4 inches onto my Pergo floor, and shatter yesterday. It was NOT burning, but I wondered if anyone using these has had a problem with them breaking during use. The glass seemed awfullly thin. It was the American made Status-type jar. I had been testing a CDN 18 with 464 wax, and was happy on the first burn with BB's Energy. Now I have to figure out how to get the wax out of the jagged glass without cutting myself! TIA!

I have and am using some of those DT status jars, but mine aren't thin at all, if anything they seem to be too thick and in weird, irregular ways. In particular I can see that the base thIckness in almost all of them is uneven, when I pour wax into them sometimes the bottom of the candle is up to 1/2 inch higher on one side than the other! :(

I haven't had a problem yet with any candles I've made in them and burned, but I did drop an empty one on my linoleum floor once, it just bounced and rolled but didn't break.

There have been several posts on these jars - apparently DT sells 2 different 'status' jars. My DT sells the thinner jar you describe, but someone else posted a pic w/ the label & it's not the same. I've never heard of any breakage during burning, so it all comes down to deciding what you want to take responsibility for selling. This container can be a challenge to wick. I have a few I play around w/ for testing, but decided not to use them for sale.

If you're determined to reuse the wax w/ broken glass (I hope it's only for testing), you can toss the wax into a pyrex measuring cup & melt down in the oven on a low setting. Then strain through a coffee filter.

Susan.

Thank you for your replies, I did scoop out the wax with a long handled spoon, and pour into a 10 oz. apothecary from CS with another CDN 18. Of course, I could not wait to burn it again, and the CDN 18, that was doing well with barely a 1/4" melt pool after 6 hours in the status jar has an inch melt pool in the new jar after 4 hours. Obviously too hot for the apothecary! The scent throw is not as good, even with the larger melt pool . :confused:

BTW, I do not sell my candles, they are just for me and my family. I definitely would never sell wax that I had scooped out and re-packaged! Thanks for your concern! I have been making candles since last August, and still haven't totally narrowed down containers, or wax, but the CD wicks I have recently been trying have given me the best results with 415 and 464. Better scent throw, and no smoking that I had with the HTP's. I thought that since I was spending so much money purchasing candles and tarts, that I would save a lot by learning to make my own. :laugh2: I think I had the same thought when I learned to crochet, and ...

I thought that since I was spending so much money purchasing candles and tarts, that I would save a lot by learning to make my own. :laugh2: I think I had the same thought when I learned to crochet, and ...

Umm, yeah, that was my thought, too, several hundred dollars ago... and now I'm trying to "save" money by making my own soaps and B&B, too...

:laugh2::laugh2::laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:

............a 10 oz. apothecary from CS with another CDN 18. Of course, I could not wait to burn it again, and the CDN 18, that was doing well with barely a 1/4" melt pool after 6 hours in the status jar has an inch melt pool in the new jar after 4 hours. Obviously too hot for the apothecary! The scent throw is not as good, even with the larger melt pool . :confused:

.......but the CD wicks I have recently been trying have given me the best results with 415 and 464. Better scent throw, and no smoking that I had with the HTP's. I thought that since I was spending so much money purchasing candles and tarts, that I would save a lot by learning to make my own. :laugh2: I think I had the same thought when I learned to crochet, and ...

Hmmm, so the CDN 18 is too big for a 10 oz. apothecary jar from CS? I'm currently testing CDs with those containers, haven't nailed it down yet. I can tell you that a CD 18 with those DT status jars is waaayyyy too huge, I'm now testing CD 12s & 14s with that jar and my GB 464 soy wax and I'm thinking those are working the best. I'd been testing ECO wicks before, no smoking w/those either, but they tended to clog and drowned out easily and were always just exactly between sizes! :(

I have a CD 16 in a Dollar Tree status jar upstairs w/a mixture of SC Aveda Sapmoss & Hibiscus halfway burnt halfway down, and is doing very well so far. It is almost clearing the sides, and the melt pool is 1/4". I just have the CD testing set from LS, I am liking the CD's better than the ECO. I had the same experience with them that you did, mzpickles. I had those CDN 18's from Candle Cocoon, so thought I would try them. I would love to see a Libbey Status jar, to see the difference vs. the Dollar Tree one.

@candlemama: I purchased several different types of M&P base last month, and am "saving money" making my own bar soap, too! Isn't saving money great?!? :)

I had good luck with palm and a CSN-12 or 14 in those jars. 16 or 22 for 464 or CBA. Did one for haloween with orange palm wax and a Jack o lantern drawn on the glass with a sharpie.

BTW, labels - do "normal" ones work on container candles? Even the special candle label websites seem to be selling ones with ordinary adhesive. I'd have thought you'd need hi temp stuff. Sharpie ink FWIW holds up fine.

Save money, eh? Well that is true in the limited sense that if I wasn't making my own, I'd spend a lot more in order to burn this many candles. I probably average 20 candle/hours a day.

• 1 month later...
Hmmm, so the CDN 18 is too big for a 10 oz. apothecary jar from CS? I'm currently testing CDs with those containers, haven't nailed it down yet. I can tell you that a CD 18 with those DT status jars is waaayyyy too huge, I'm now testing CD 12s & 14s with that jar and my GB 464 soy wax and I'm thinking those are working the best. I'd been testing ECO wicks before, no smoking w/those either, but they tended to clog and drowned out easily and were always just exactly between sizes! :(

Well, crap. All the wick charts I'm looking at indicate CD 8, 10, or 12 would work in this jar. I was about to buy each to try, but it sounds like I'd be wasting money and need to buy up several sizes??? I'm working with Clarus 70/30 wax.

I use 70/30 and currently am using a cd 18 in a 12 oz salsa jar which is about 3.25 inches in diameter. I use cd 10 on the 8 oz Crisa tumbler which is about 2.35 if I remember correctly. I rarely have to wick up or down with this wax. I can get an ht the next day after pouring. I've been with this wax about 3 years now (I think). HTH

Steve

Thanks for the wick size recommendations. I will buy several and see how it goes for me. :yay:

Isn't that 70/30 about $100 a case now? IGI 4627 is about $70 per case. Unless there is significantly more in the 70/30 case, I don't see there being any value in sticking with it when my current case is gone that I'm just tinkering with as a hobby anyway, and 4627 seems to be getting plenty of positive praise to make it worthy of a look.

Well, crap. All the wick charts I'm looking at indicate CD 8, 10, or 12 would work in this jar. I was about to buy each to try, but it sounds like I'd be wasting money and need to buy up several sizes??? I'm working with Clarus 70/30 wax.

Darbla, I use an 85/15% GW 464/IGI 6006 mix and I've settled on using mostly CD 12s in the DT sized Status Jars now. The 14s are a tad too big for most of the candles I've poured; full melt pool right away, glass too hot, yatta yatta.