Which M&P Base?

candlemama

I've been reading through the old threads, and it seems it's been a while since someone asked for opinions from M&P-ers on which base to use. I'm just wondering what bases everyone uses here and why you chose them.

So far, I've only used EBC's white base. I chose this base for two reasons: 1) the great reviews from PrairieAnnie :smiley2:, and 2) EBC is about five miles from my house!

But, as with anything, now that I've tried one, I am curious about the others.

Opinions???

I use the ones from C&S. I tried others, EBC, WSP, Candlewic, etc but didn't like them. I much prefer C&S over them any day. The bases are harder, last longer, and lather and bubble like crazy. Other bases I've tried are too soft, don't accept oils & butters, and just don't lather anywhere near as nice.

You are going to get a lot of different responses to this question. You should try several and see which one(s) you like.

I use the ones from C&S. I tried others, EBC, WSP, Candlewic, etc but didn't like them. I much prefer C&S over them any day. The bases are harder, last longer, and lather and bubble like crazy. Other bases I've tried are too soft, don't accept oils & butters, and just don't lather anywhere near as nice.

You are going to get a lot of different responses to this question. You should try several and see which one(s) you like.

Which base do you use from C&S? I live in CA, but my husband is visiting family back east right now, just a few miles from C&S. Maybe I'll have him pick me up a couple samples!!

WOW! If EBC was 5 miles from my house, I would stick with them. Theri base is very nice. I use WSP bases with great success. I am on the east , so it is a good choice for me.

Thanks! I'm actually pretty happy with their white base, but you know how the saying goes... the grass is always greener, and I was just wondering what other people are using and how they like them. Their prices are good, too, if you take advantage of their 40lbs offer.

Which base do you use from C&S? I live in CA, but my husband is visiting family back east right now, just a few miles from C&S. Maybe I'll have him pick me up a couple samples!!

I use the white base and add in my own butters, oils, etc. But I have used most of their bases and love their GM, Shea Butter, Cocoa Butter, and Hemp bases a lot. They have a sampler pack if you can't decide.

I prefer the Crafter's Choice from WSP. I lurrrrve their white base, and the crystal clear is the clearest clear base you could find! I just bought a bunch of soap off of the SFIC co-op and I am not very impressed with it. The lather's ok, the soap's been leaving my skin dry and it irritates me in more sensitive areas. I know most who have tried it just rave about it! For some reason, my skin doesn't like it at ALL. Now I have 30 pounds of soap I am trying to offload so I can buy some more Crafter's Choice! ( ....so if you're interested in some SFIC.....:tiptoe: LOL!!)

• 4 months later...

Hi im very new to soap making and im looking for a very good base for my M & P soap. What does C&S stand for and where can i get those bases? Thank you!

Hi and Welcome,

C & S stands for Candles and Supplies. Here is a link to their bases:

http://newcart.candlesandsupplies.com/Store/Products/Candles/Soap%2c+Bath++and++Body/Melt+and+Pour+Soap+Bases/Default.aspx

And a link to supplier abbreviations:

http://www.craftserver.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5492

Cheers,

Steve

Edited by Wessex

I have tried quite a few and decided to go with the WSP Pro base. It too lathers like crazy and hardens up nicely. As much as I hate WSP's recent freight included policy that particular item is about the same $ once freight was added so I continue to get it from them since I am very happy with it.

That said...if you are ordering the EBC base you might want to take a peek at their site for a special...hint, hint....I noticed it the other day when I was ordering a few other items.

I have tried quite a few and decided to go with the WSP Pro base. It too lathers like crazy and hardens up nicely. As much as I hate WSP's recent freight included policy that particular item is about the same $ once freight was added so I continue to get it from them since I am very happy with it.

The Pro base is nice, but I have found that it does not accept additives well at all. The freight included policy raised the price of WSP base too much for me, so I moved on. I currently use the base from the Chemistry store and I am very happy with it.

The Pro base is nice, but I have found that it does not accept additives well at all. The freight included policy raised the price of WSP base too much for me, so I moved on. I currently use the base from the Chemistry store and I am very happy with it.

Are the bases really lathery and firm? Too many bases are soft and don't accept butters or oils well. Thats why I have been using the ones from C&S I really like theirs but they are always out of either white, goats milk, shea butter, whatever I tend to be ordering. That gets to be a pain in the butt!!

I checked out the Chemistry Store and they sell the Stephenson bases which I've heard are nice. Especially the Stephenson Clear Base is rumored to be the clearest M&P on the market. I like their prices and they have 50 lbs you can order. I usually order in 40-50 lb increments anyway so that would work for me. Plus they are cheaper than C&S.

I'm in VA and C&S is north from me in PA and the Chemistry Store south from me in SC or NC. I think shipping and delivery times might be the same for me. I'll have to give them a try.

The Stephenson's bases really are nice. Like I mentioned, I don't use many additives so I can't attest to that but I have tried the C&S base 1-2x and liked the Stephenson's better. It might be worth getting a sample size to test yourself to see if they hold up to the additives you use. Without additives they lather beautifully. I switched to the Pro base a few years ago when NDA was out of the Stephenson's and I was ordering other stuff from WSP anyway and had ready good reviews about it. I was very pleased with the base so I didn't go back.

I am using Nature's garden Natural Cocoa butter base as I have decided to use it instead of making my own hp soap...It has nice lather and is not sweaty and is very hard as are all their natural bases.

Most bases I have tried leave my hands burning and dry. I have tried most Natural bases . i have not tried the ones that have sulfates because my husband has a reaction to that ingredient in regular soap.

After much money spent Natures garden Natural bases win hands down for me:yay:

• 4 weeks later...
Hi and Welcome,

C & S stands for Candles and Supplies. Here is a link to their bases:

http://newcart.candlesandsupplies.com/Store/Products/Candles/Soap%2c+Bath++and++Body/Melt+and+Pour+Soap+Bases/Default.aspx

And a link to supplier abbreviations:

http://www.craftserver.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5492

Cheers,

Steve

Oh my...for heaven's sake! Here I am a mere 30 minute drive ffrom C&S!:cheesy2:

I never knew I had a supplier almost in my backyard! Now if only they had natural m&p bases!

• 2 weeks later...