Aroma Ornaments--Any Tips for Making Large Quantities?

Alajane

I've only made these in small batches previously because they've never been very good sellers for me. But now I have a fundraiser planned and they expect to sell several hundred. Any tips and tricks for doing large quantities? I did order 15 of each shape cookie cutter, as I figured that's about all that would fit on a cookie sheet at one time.

TIA,

Jane

I make my beads ahead of time in 1 gal containers. I use the clear PET and I tested several before I found one that I was happy with.

My suggestions to you are these:

1) Congratulations!! I hope it goes well for you.

2) Limit your scents. The more scents you have, the more you have to make up. If you limit the choices to say 6 or 8, then I think you can have a better handle on the final outcome.

3) Make them ahead of time. They will hold without problems. Store them in a dark place if you are afraid of fading. I have some in an original test container that has been there 3 years and still no diminished scent.

4) Have all your hanging accessories (ribbon, string, etc) pre-cut and ready to go.

5) Depending on the length of the fundraiser, have a turn in day about mid-way through to give you an idea of where you are standing.

6) Start thinking now about how you are going to get holes in them for hanging. When I made them regularly, that was the most time consuming part of the whole process. I am thinking of starting them again but won't commit until I have a better "holeing" process.

Good luck and let us know how it goes for you!!

The "holeing" process was one of the things I was hoping for a great tip about!! Last time I made a slightly large batch, I had DH drill holes in them, but he made such a big deal of it that I'm trying to find something simpler. I bought a leather needle last night at Hobby Lobby--going to test that out. I've tried the nail inserted during baking and thought that was going to work well but they wanted to turn over on me!

The fundraiser organization has selected 6 scents, so I'm making small test batches now to get the amount of FO/bead ratio worked out before I make large batches.

These things always worry me in the Alabama heat--afraid they'll melt off the string!

Good suggestions. Here are a few more. When I make my air fresheners ahead of time, I store each one in its "to be sold in" packaging which is a resealable polypro bag w/ hang hole. Once it is made and cooled, you can put right in until you are ready to string it. Your label can be affixed right to the bag.

As far as stringing them, I have used a VERY large needle, which is time consuming. I have also been experimenting with using a small diameter dowel rod cut into inch or so lengths. I put the dowel in on its end where I want the hang hole to be in the ornie. Because it is wood, it will go through the oven just fine. I did this with an elderly craft group and it worked out pretty good. Just an idea. :D

PS....about the heat.... I had given some air fresheners to some friends who lived in San Antonio TX. They had them in their vehicles in the heat of summer with no melting problems. <Knock on wood> I have never had any problems with mine melting (other than in the oven.) ;)

About the heat, as long as you make them a decent thickness, you should not have any problems. I have found that ribbon works better than something like string or fishing line (yes I have seen that). I have tried a leather hole punch and it was a nightmare!! Took forever and was very hard to do. When I string them, I also use a large crafting needle. Putting the hole there is the hardest part IMO.

You could always go out and buy a drill and drill your own. I know that they are not too expensive here and now I am going to have to try that. I never thought of that way.

I have never tried using something while they were baking to set the hole but I guess if you could come up with something it never hurts to try.

eta: I am going to make some this week-end for some of my kids friends. I will have to try the dowel thing and let you know how it works out.

Edited by CandleMama6

I've not made these yet myself but the instructions I found said to place a short screw in where you want the hole before placing it in the oven. Anyone tried this before?

I have tried placing a screw in for the hole. It worls but when I did it, I was left w/a weird looking indentation from the screw. I tried a few different screws and nails but the finished product didn't look all that great. Now, I use the drill w/a pretty small bit and it works fine. I would have to think that there is some type of hole punching contraption out there to make it even easier but I don't know what it would be! I have an actual commercial hole punch at work....maybe it would be able to cut through them! I'll have to try it on Monday, I'll lyk what happens...

What about some round "eyelets"? Is that what they're called :confused: Put them in when baking and just leave them in there??? Maybe check out what they have at craft stores and sewing stores. Maybe even the hardward aisle at HD or Lowes....Just brainstorming...

The hand held leather hole punch works the best for me. I punch them while slightly warm. I they are too warm, then you can't punch though them and if too cool it's hard to get the punch through.

I have tried this way before but I thought they were a pain in the arzz!! Also gave myself horrible blisters from the constant compression. And if you were doing a large quantity, I would think you would have extremely sore hands.

However, when I used this method I waited til they were completely cool so I will have to try them again when they are still slightly warm.

When using dowel rod pieces, I use about a 1/4 inch diameter. You have to make sure the ends are flat and smooth on the dowel to aid in the dowel maintaining upright position when the beads are melting. And you want to make sure you use enough beads to hold it up. One other thing, I do not melt my ornies "flat" but leave a rough texture to them.

And I use string with no problems in any type of heat!

I've not made these yet myself but the instructions I found said to place a short screw in where you want the hole before placing it in the oven. Anyone tried this before?

When I used to make these, I used the flat head nails....works like a charm!!

Just set your cutter on the cookie sheet, place the flat head nail at the location you want the hole to be, fill the cutter with your beads and bake....easy peasy :)

ETA: allow the ornies to cool before removing the nail....they just slide right out

Edited by number2of7

I use roofing nails and they work perfect. You can get several at a hardware store fairly cheap.

I was just going to say roofing nails, they have the biggest flat head(?). You could also cut them so they would not be too tall. I had the indent too so I made sure it was flush. I also used the heat gun to add a few beads hear and there. I have thought about the eyelets, just not sure about leaving the metal in. Would it heat up hotter and cause the bead stuff to melt. I'll have to try, maybe hang in the oven on low and see when it starts melting as apposed to no eyelet. I use elastic to hang, figuring the stretch makes it easier to put on the rear view mirror.

The pan to heat on is a problem for me. The old ones warp while heating. I'm willing to buy one so what type is best?

Sharon, the pan may be something I can actually help with! I bought a set of 2 jelly roll pans at Sam's--think it was around $12 for the two, but they're nice, heavy pans that seem to be restaurant quality and don't warp. I got a set to make hand-rolled cinnamon bun candles and loved them--ended up buying another set for actual cooking, too!

HTH,

Jane

Sharon, the pan may be something I can actually help with! I bought a set of 2 jelly roll pans at Sam's--think it was around $12 for the two, but they're nice, heavy pans that seem to be restaurant quality and don't warp. I got a set to make hand-rolled cinnamon bun candles and loved them--ended up buying another set for actual cooking, too!

HTH,

Jane

Thanks Jane, I belong to Sam.s so I'll check them out.

• 1 month later...