How to melt out wax from old containers?

We have a lot of old, dusty container candles from years ago, a lot of them with a decent amount of wax still in them. While I'm waiting for my paycheck so I can FINALLY buy some supplies, I wanted to go ahead and melt those down.

But how? Oven? Or just stick it in a boiling pot of water like the container was a pour pot?

Also, how should I deal with the layer of dust? Just rinse it and let it dry?

I keep it low...about 200 degrees. It takes a while but I just keep pouring the melted wax out until it is gone and then clean them out with paper towels, maybe some baby wipes and wash right away in really hot water and dish soap.

I have only done this with soy, palm and 6006 and I have never had any wax explode on me in the oven.

May I piggy back on your question with a related question?

I have some jars with not only the wax residue I want to get out, but also thick soot around the top. What is the best way to get rid of that? Will scrubbing with a Brillo pad or similar scratch the glass?

May I piggy back on your question with a related question?

I have some jars with not only the wax residue I want to get out, but also thick soot around the top. What is the best way to get rid of that? Will scrubbing with a Brillo pad or similar scratch the glass?

You could melt the wax out of the jar first and then use rubbing alcohol to clean off the soot. That works for me on the rare occasion that I get soot. I put the containers on my electric warmers to melt the wax. It takes a while but it works if you have the time. I try to plan ahead when I need to clean out some jars. An oven would definately be faster. I use a heat gun too sometimes.

For soot on jars, I just use baby wipes and it comes right off. For getting old wax out of jars, I put the jar on a candle warmer and pour out the wax in an old fragrance jug. The candlewarmer will also help the wick come loose.

HTH,

Kim

Seriously....

I've been using the oven for like 8 years to get wax out of jars. Have the temperature set to 200* and never had a problem. Wax melts...dump it out...use an old butter knife to pry the wick off the bottom of the jar. Use a paper towel to wipe out all of the wax residue and...if there is any black soot on the jar it wipes clean without scrubbing etc.

Now...this is for my own use of melting and cleaning the jars that I use for testing purposes only.

Seriously....

I've been using the oven for like 8 years to get wax out of jars. Have the temperature set to 200* and never had a problem. Wax melts...dump it out...use an old butter knife to pry the wick off the bottom of the jar. Use a paper towel to wipe out all of the wax residue and...if there is any black soot on the jar it wipes clean without scrubbing etc.

Now...this is for my own use of melting and cleaning the jars that I use for testing purposes only.

That is exactly what I do. Just did 7 jars tonight that have been sitting around for months from my last testing. I pour mine into empty coffee cans...paper towels and all...then out to the trash it goes when it cools down. I then wash them in the sink with some dawn :)

This was great help, thanks everyone! I did it and it worked great! I had to use a strainer to make sure just the wax went in, but I think I did well for my first endeavor into melting wax, haha. I attempted to make something slightly votive-like, but I went a little relief hole happy and that may have caused a giant hole in the dried candle...

I'm going to post a picture later so someone can explain that one to me. :P

Unscented baby wipes are great for wiping down that little layer of wax residue when it come to cleaning candle containers or melting pots.

For getting the wax out of old containers - put jars on a baking sheet and bake at warm or 200 degrees max. Remove wick tab with tweezers. You can easily grip and handle the hot jars with a good set of lined dishwashing gloves (another must have). Empty cardboard milk or juice cartons are great receptacles for left over wax. Cut the top off and just pour your melted wax in it and when your ready to use you can just cut and peel the carton away.

Heat guns are also a great tool to have around when making candles.

Edited by JacquiO