Goat Milk frustration

rebeccajo99

I have been trying to get my hand on canned goat milk for the past week now. My local health food store is out, so my husband stopped by the one by his work. Out too... so today he stops by again and they only have powdered and evaporated goat milk. He picked up the powdered for me, but I told him not to do the evaporated.

Is the evaporated goat milk the one I'm suppsed to use for PA recipie or am I tough out of luck and will have to be using the powder?

thanks PA. I may have to find a new supplier for it just because it took a week for them to get it in. I can't be waiting a week or more to get the milk. I just started buying base with the milk already added because of this issue before, but I would rather add my own just because you can add more and make it even nicer.

I heard rumors that there is a farm in the area that will sell goats and will keep them on his farm and milk them for you. All you have to do is stop by and get your milk. I may look into that as well to see how much that is, how much milk you get and all that.

The only thing is, it isn't pasterized or anything like that, would/could that pose a problem where I may need to use more preservative?

I really want to try your recipie!!!

It's okay to use unpasteurized fresh goat milk. I do it all the time. If you do get some, I would invest in some ice cube trays if you don't have some already. Pour the milk into the trays and freeze it. Then you can just add GM cubes to your recipe. So easy this way. You can do the same thing with evaporated GM too!

Edited to say: Check your grocery store baked goods section for canned gm. They have it at every grocery store here including Walmart.

Edited by prairieannie

I'll check my local store too. It is hard to say if they will have it or not since I had a hard time getting rice milk when my son was on that due to dairy and soy restrictions.

Funny thing is... my health food store is 20 mins closer than the nearest walmart :) (yes... my town has not been invaded by a walmart yet)

I use the canned goats milk for my soap and it makes a wonderful creamy bar of soap and it's easy to store. I also have a hard time finding it locally. I now purchase it at amazon.com for about $37 for a case of 12 and I receive free shipping!

I made a batch of the recipie last night. Cut it down to 1 lb for testing and messed up a little by accidently adding 2 T of honey instead of 1, other than that, everything else was exact.

Could nicely get it out of my molds last night after setting for 4 hours (may have been able to do it earlier, but was watching a movie, so i didn't check). Had an "oily" feeling to them, but thought I remember reading about that with this recipie, so i placed them on my drying rack. Woke up this morning and they feel less oily and now 12 hours after demolding they don't feel oily at all!!!

I cut off a small piece to test it out washing my hands. Cut really soft yet, but I'm not concerned about that yet. It was so creamy and nice on my hands. I was concerned about having the extra honey that it would cause problems, but I think it is going to be ok. I was my hands about every 10 mins because i have 1 kid in diapers, 1 potty training and constantly cleaning. I have not needed lotion yet!!!

The only thing that I am a little concerned about is it feels like my hands may be a little sticky. don't know if that is because of the soap, because of the extra honey or because I've been baking cakes for the past 3 1/2 hours!!!

Can't wait to try it in the shower. It may not survive my drying rack for another day... it may just wind up in there :smiley2:

If you freeze the milk in ice cube trays, how many cubes would you use in the recipe that PA posted?

I have gotten the concentrated at Wal-Mart but might look into whether or not I can get it fresh here locally. Also, I would think that anyone worried about the fresh not being pastuerized that you could boil it yourself. I know that it is not the same process, but it would basically have the same affect I would think. Then after it cools, pour into ice cube trays and freeze.

Not positive but makes sense if you think about it.

My ice cube trays make cubes that are approximately 1 oz. 1 oz = 2 tbs

The only way to be sure how much milk makes a cube is to weigh the frozen cube.

As far as boiling milk that burns milk. I wouldn't bother even heating it. Remember you are adding it to your melted base so that alone should kill any bacteria. Plus there is a big difference in buying a carton of fresh goats milk to getting if fresh out of the goat. Bottled or cartoned milk has already been pasteurized and doesn't need heating.

Thanks for telling me about amazon. Its the same stuff that my health food store sells and cheaper if I can get the free shipping!!! Will look into it when I need to get more. Baught the store out yesterday with 4 whole cans.

It's the Meyenberg brand. Here's the link (I hope it works)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000EY5COG/ref=s9_simh_gw_p325_i1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=0WYSTQNKRC12XJQY1EC0&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=470938631&pf_rd_i=507846

That's what I buy at Walmart over by the condensed milk section.

I've looked at my Walmart and they don't carry it here. I can at times find it in one of my local grocery stores (We have 4), I shop a lot on amazon.com so I looked there and to my surprise they carried canned goat milk. We will be getting a super walmart towards the end of this year so maybe they will carry it there and hopefully coconut oil.