Um... Bad Idea?!

Made from leftover candle stubs and candle drippings. Also a few broken crayons. Also the wax wrappers that go around those mini cheeses.

That was the text under a picture someone took of her candles. They were pretty candles, but besides the crayons, cheese wax? Can that really be used? :confused: Doesn't seem like the brightest idea...

If you click on the photo, it'll take you to her flicker page. I think this is someone who just made these for herself and posted a picture because she thought they were pretty. She's not selling them. I think we're being a little hard on her.

If you click on the photo, it'll take you to her flicker page. I think this is someone who just made these for herself and posted a picture because she thought they were pretty. She's not selling them. I think we're being a little hard on her.

I'm not seeing any photo.:confused:

No, don't get me wrong, I think they are pretty candles, and she did a good job on them with what she had. I definitely don't want to seem like I'm hating on her or anything, I was just curious about whether the crayon/cheese wax was a bad idea. I'd never thought of cheese wax as being actual wax. o.0

But yeah, I wasn't trying to criticize her... I don't think I have the right to criticize anyone when I haven't even made a candle yet!

Also, for those who were asking, here's the original link. It's not originally from the heck site... http://www.flickr.com/photos/sadalit/383615405/

Edited by DelphicScorpion

I would think its the same kind of wax that they spray apples with.. food grade, which scentsy says they use for their tarts- so its probably OK, but wicking would be a real challenge. Thats the whole thing about making candles "just because" its pretty hard to get the wicking right using the wicks you would buy at a craft store.. so like Carebear said I wouldnt count on it to burn right but looking at the candles, they are pretty.. they will look nice and if shes happy, cool!

Especially if shes not selling them.

Its like the teacup candles I see all over the place.. or "reused container" candles... where they are totally one of a kind. How do they know its going to burn right? How do they know the container wont shatter? The OCD crazy lady in me hates seeing those. But hey- whatevers clever!

I bet what they put on apples is just a simple paraffin. There's a company in my supplier list that produces cheese wax among many other things, and they have an impressive lineup of cheese waxes with different properties to serve your precise cheese-coating needs. I don't know how these materials are formulated exactly, but they do seem to be real wax. I imagine they'll burn in a candle even if they aren't ideal. However, like the crayons, the colored ones likely contain pigments that can clog the wick.

Edited by topofmurrayhill