Candles that are too strong

Using around 9% FO in a C-3 and 4627 combo...I think some of my candles are too strong! Should I remelt them, add some more combo without FO and repour? So many want candles to blow them out of the room, but I myself have started to choke a bit.........? Is it just me?

Many candlemakers use 6% or 1 oz FO per lb in their wax. If you have a good FO that throws well thats all you need. And then there are FOs that you only need 3-4%. If your candles are too strong at 9% then try cutting back to 6%. You should consider yourself lucky they throw so well. Thats the least of your problems when making candles.:smiley2:

I don't know the effect that the 4627 has on the throw, but C3 has a great hot throw at 1 oz. pp. Some FOs have a stronger fragrance than do others... candles shouldn't all be the same "power" just as naturally occurring fragrances are not all the same intensity.

While I realize the tendency of some folks is "more is better," there is such as thing as too much fragrance in life! Our cleaning and personal care products are all heavily scented - heck, there are even scented garbage bags these days! That's a LOT of environmental fragrance chemicals in the average home when you think about it!

I shoot for a happy medium where the candle is noticeable but not overpowering. Because scent is such a common trigger for allergies, asthma, etc., I try to keep general environmental health issues in mind when I'm making candles regardless of comments from folks who want their nose hairs to curl when they burn a candle. :)

Edited by Stella1952

I think that some candles can be stronger than others. I usually (depending on the scent) do 1oz per pound. I have found after almost 9 years of doing this-sometimes I can't smell a scent but someone will come in our back room and say-oh I can smell that all the way outside. My nose after all this time is /has become scent challenged at times...lol.

I think I would rather someone say to me "your candles are "too strong" than your candles are not strong enough." Just my opinion.

in my opinion, if its not broke dont try to fix it lol. unless customers start complaining that the candles are too strong then i wouldnt worry about it ( maybe start testing at 6% )

i love my candles strong. thats the biggest thing i look for in candles.

Personally, if I can't get it to throw at 6% or less then i will not use it. I like to keep any burning issues to a minimum and the less stuff I put in the better, at least for me.

Also some scents will be stronger then others, I have some scents that are more mood setting and lighter then others. I feel if I put more fragrancnce in on those scents it takes away from the ambiance and beauty of that scent.