Wick stickums for glow palm?

I was wondering if these will work for glow palm candles. With the high temps you need to pour palm I am curious if they would work. Any glow palm makers out there that use wick stickums?

Also, if I do use them I will probably get them from CS as thats who I buy my wicks from. I hear theirs are pretty good.

Not stickums, but I had problems with hot glue when pouring palm wax. The melt temp of the hot glue is lower than the pour temp for palm wax. Several loosened enough to allow the wick to continue sucking liquid wax from underneath the wicktab instead of self-extinguishing at the top of the tab.

Not stickums, but I had problems with hot glue when pouring palm wax. The melt temp of the hot glue is lower than the pour temp for palm wax. Several loosened enough to allow the wick to continue sucking liquid wax from underneath the wicktab instead of self-extinguishing at the top of the tab.

I've been using the Stanley 40 watt glue gun and DualMelt Duel Temperature glue sticks or the Surebonder All Purpose stiks. No problem with wicks coming unglued. In fact they have to be pried off.

But I am getting tired of the glue filaments like spider web strands that I get when I hot glue dozens of jars at a time. Thats why I am thinking of the wick stickums as an alternative.

Edited by Candybee

No problem with wicks coming unglued. In fact they have to be pried off.
Prying them off when they are cool is different from when the temp is at its highest point in the container. The tabs would pry off quite easily because the high temperature softens the glue.

To clarify, my problem with the glue was NOT that the wicktabs came loose, the glue softened enough to allow the seal between the liquid wax and the wick to be broken and it continued sucking liquid wax and did not self-extinguish, although a couple of times, the wick did soften enough to wander... Looks like this:

053107037.jpg

See how the wick sucked the liquid wax from all the way around it until there was none left to suck? That's because the seal was breached between the bottom of the wick tab (where the wick ends) & the glue. The wick would not have been able to get fuel any other way. That container got a little toasty, if memory serves, and had some soot near the rim on the right...

That's the kind of failure I am trying to avoid. :)

I'm no expert, but after a recommendation I found on this forum, I'm now using cut of strips of heavy duty Scotch Mounting tape - and that works real well in all my containers - even when I pour at high temps.

Sticks even to a particular votive container I purchased where the stickums and hot glue gun won't stick at all :)

PS: I tried the stickums in tealights and containers and ended up with results similar to what Stella shows in her photo.

Edited by nadiap

They come in both precut squares and rolls. I guess you'd have to make a peace with the corners... now THAT would bother my OCD, although if they don't leak, I think I could get over it real quickly! :laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:

I cut a strip the width of the wick tab - and cut that in half - so 2 bits for 2 wick tabs. As there's a paper on the outerside, I go ahead and stick all the cut out bids to the wick tabs at once, and then go ahead and 'unstick' them and attach to the container. Once you get the hang of it and find a rythm that works, it moves along quite well.

The intsy bids showing on the corners bothered me me at first, so I used to snip those <lol> but they were such tiny bits it wasn't worth the hassle :-)

Edited by nadiap

I cut a strip the width of the wick tab - and cut that in half - so 2 bits for 2 wick tabs.

You might find this interesting:

http://www.staples.com/Scotch-4008-Double-Sided-Polyurethane-Foam-Tape-1-2x36-yds.-1-8/product_616157

The rolls are simpler to cut. It comes in smaller rolls too, but this one is good for over 2500 candles.

We can also see how it works so well, based on the specs. It resists 225 degrees for extended periods and over 300 degrees for short periods. I typically blast it into the 300+ degree range to remove it, and it usually doesn't unstick so much as physically disintegrate as you pry it up.

Edited by topofmurrayhill

Hey Top,

couldn't get to that link - kept asking me for a US postcode, then got shifted to the Canadian site, same thing :-)

This is the one I use and find it works for me:

https://www.officeproductsdepot.com.au/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10001&storeId=23102&productId=19871&langId=-1&parent_category_rn=19581&top_category=21603

Actually it's the only size I've found at my local Office Works anyways.

PS: If you'd be kind enough to give me a US postcode, I could then take a look - I'd appreciate it :)

Edited by nadiap

Yes that's what I had in mind. I thought you were using the square pieces. The link I gave was to the big roll:

Scotch® #4008 Double Sided Polyurethane Foam Tape, 1/2"x36 yds., 1/8" Roll

Use for your most demanding indoor or outdoor mounting applications

• Adheres to most clean, dry, rough or smooth surfaces
    For heavy-duty applications
  • 1/8" thickness
  • Resists heat up to 380 degrees F for short periods and 225 degrees F for an extended time
  • Cushions vibrations, resists impacts and insulates

$63.79

post-710-139458466505_thumb.jpg

Thanks Tops,

yep, that's the one - though mine is 1in x 1.38yds - hence the reason for me cutting it in half :-)

I'll have to see if i can find where they stock a 1/2" wide roll. More likely a hardware store than the Office Works store I'm buying it from now.

I use them and they work amazingly well! I heat up my jars, stick them in and I have to be even more careful that I stick it where I need it cause it's extremely difficult to remove once I've pressed down. I use them with glass glow in glass and tins. Haven't had a problem with either.