Workspace Issue - Need some ideas

First off, I know I haven't been on much lately, work has been a bear since it's the holidays. Retail is a pain, try working transportation, dare I say it, it's a NIGHTMARE!

I also haven't made many candles as a result, I come home, crash out, wake up, go to work and on my days off, I'm sleeping or trying to forget about work by diving into Civilization 3. That and I've been low on resources for a month, so not much wax buying. Hopefully, that'll be recitified this Friday.

It's not really an issue I'm having, it's more of a concern but it could potentially lead to some problems and I need either some ideas or advise. I've been doing laundry tonight, also doing some cleaning up downstairs and when I went into my workspace, I noticed that the overall temp is roughly 57* (I have an electronic thermometer on my space heater). With the enigma of the fingernailing floating through, not to mention the drastic changes in temperatures, I need to figure out how to insulate that corner, keep the heat from the space heater where it belongs. A couple of my votives that I have still downstairs that I had planned on testing is being put back into the Presto, there's small hairline cracks in them.

My handiman hasn't made contact with me since I had pneumonia and it's hard to reach him at best, so building any kind of wall is out of the question until I can get him up here with me to take a look at things. I have two comforters and two sets of sheets that I'm not using currently, thought about hanging those up and try to enclose things in until I can get something more permanent up. It won't look pretty, but at this stage, I'm not worried about it.

Anybody else have any other thoughts or suggestions? I don't want to haul all of my candle making supplies back upstairs, I've actually been digging the fact that my kitchen looks like a kitchen and not like an atom bomb went off.

Well, if you have a lot of cardboard boxes lying around, you might be able to build a little wall. Or a couple of old mattresses propped up against something heavy (so they don't fall on you). That's about all I can think of right off the top of my head.

Ya know, somehow I'm just not buying the idea that this is a good approach. Trying to jury rig a partition and achieve some semblance of temperature control seems like a dubious proposition. Even if you're able to rig something, it's not like there's gonna be a thermostat governing the conditions.

I know it's a bit of a pain, but what if you did most of the dirty work downstairs and poured the candles upstairs? Just lay out some foil to keep things clean. It won't look at all like an atomic blast. Just a small stick of dynamite maybe. Actually you'll be able to wake up to the sight of lovely candles squirming in their molds and ready to bust forth into existence!

I can see your point, Top. Thing is, I was just hoping I wouldn't have to displace everything, even if it's only until spring or whenever the goof from Lawrence decides to show back up.

I could keep the main supplies downstairs, wax, additives, dyes, only bring up small amounts. Now that my kitchen is in decent order, I can clear off my counterspace a little better than what it is and just take it from there. I've got a lot of cabinet space I'm not using, could use those to store the FO's in there when I'm not working, then use the Green Room as my packaging room...

Ugh, just the thought of breaking down enough that I don't explode in the kitchen but not have to spend time running up and down stairs is enough I'm already wiped out. :sad2: I was so looking forward to not being a kitchen chandler anymore...

I think I'm depressed now :cry2:

Rather than insulting the whole space, maybe you can do something on a smaller scale. Just insulate the area the candles are cooling in rather then the whole corner. You might be able to do this just but putting a cardboard box (or some Styrofoam) over the candles as they cool. The freshly poured candles should give off enough heat to warm the area under the box. If needed you can always direct a little heat at the boxes and it should keep it warm inside, just make sure you don't direct "too much" heat at any cardboard!