Losing Suppliers

Is it my imagination that some candle suppliers appear to be having a problem in obtaining certain waxes, jars and or other materials that were once pretty common? I can't imagine that demand has increased, unless unemployed are looking to the craft industry for income. It's really getting difficult to obtain supplies locally and the shipping rates are totally out of reason. Just wondering out loud.

Steve

No your not, I think everyone is ordering as little as possible so their funds are not tied up in product. It all rolls downhill though.

Don't even get me started about the shipping rates, shipping only went up 4% on my end so why am I paying so much more to ship wax?

And have you noticed that some suppliers are not giving you the hundred weight discounts? Why bother stocking up if one case is the same as 10 to ship. I'll keep my money in the bank too.... and the cycle continues.

I would also speculate that it's lack of demand. At this point, if you tie up too much in inventory you may be belly-up.

Just look at the traffic on this board. In October 08 I predicted it would plummet. It's way down from then and probably a fraction of what it was 5 years ago. Many small producers are gone. Illuminations went out of business. A handful of suppliers are gone. In the best case, we're at a bottom.

i was buying my wax locally when i first started out with candles..now that is no longer available here..

i am more of a hobbiest..so i don't need great amounts..

but with shipping..i am going to have to either accept that my wax is going to cost much more because of the shipping rate..

or change to a wax that i can buy close to me and pick up..

and start the testing all over again..

I am just starting my business back up from a 5 year break. Shipping is ridiculous! I recall when the price of gas was high, we were told that shipping would go up to compensate. Now gas has gone down by half and the shipping prices are still rising. What I can stock in supplies has gone down therefore. Not wanting to think about how that will affect the growth of my business...ugh.

Trudi

Edited by NaturallyTru

As far as shipping rates go, UPS, Fed Ex and USPS all have raised their rates this year. From what I hear gas prices will be going up again like in the past so I hate to think how that will effect everything again. It sure does hurt the small businesses because then we have to increase our prices of our products to try and make a little profit. :(