Have any of you used ProPay?

Its 100 to buy initially, and then 50.00 (ish) a year. Thats not too terrible, considering the extra business it will get me. I've had people want to buy more than they did, but not have the cash (or carry checks) to do it.

All reviews I've read from techy smarties says its actually safer than paypal.

My only concern with it is that it scans the card, you bring it home (if you cant get internet at the site) and upload the info. So... what if the scanner is faulty and you get home, thousands of dollars later, with an empty reader. Eeek. I have no reason to think that has happened to anyone, I just worry about things that might not be practical, lol.

AND... wouldnt you still need a reciept for the customer to sign and keep just in case something does go wrong, aka, a knucklebuster.

I found some old threads, but they are years old... so looking for maybe some updated opinions.

I use propay but I just use a knucklebuster at shows since I don't have time to be fooling with calling in or using a computer to do cc sales since I work alone.

I input all of the data when I get home and in 3 years of using it have never had a problem with a card.

I use it for all of my cc processing. It is great. I didn't pay for any fancy machine either. I use my laptop to get confirmation numbers. I used to just use the knucklebuster too. works fine, but if you want the machine, that's okay too.

Michelle- they are based in Lehi! Its ProPay.com, and what I was looking at was the Micro Secure Card Reader... https://epay.propay.com/SPC/

Its like a digital knucklebuster.. but it has its drawbacks. It simply stores the card information, so it doesnt give you a paper copy of the transaction for the customer to sign, and it does have a yearly fee, although you can pay monthly for around $5.00 too. WAY cheaper than the $30.00 a month e-commerce fee from my bank or paypal.

If you can get WIFI/Internet at the market location, you can get immediate transactions and see that the card has cleared.. otherwise, you take the unit home and plug it into your computer and all the transactions are processed then.

Thanks Kristin!! I will have to look into them. I have wireless through Sprint so internet connection on the laptop is not a problem. Someone (I think) said it is cheaper than paypal. Do you know if that is true??

And if it is in Lehi, I will see if I can over next time I am in Highland visiting my mom.

I thought about getting the reader and ended up not. Don't need the cash outlay for that right now, though I may end up doing it later. I asked not long ago if anybody here ended up getting one and got no replies at that time...so I took it as a "no."

I have used ProPay for several years...and have never had a problem! I did not have the card reader at first, but last summer my husband talked me into getting it, and it saves alot of time! I use a small sales receipt book (the kind with a carbon copy), which is stamped with my business name. I write down the last 4 digits of the cc#, the $ amount of the sale, and the customers name and phone number. The customer gets a copy, and I use the other copy when I get home. It makes taking credit cards affordable...and the card reader is great because you don't have a record of the entire credit card number, only the last 4 digits, as the rest of the number is encrypted.

I have used ProPay for several years...and have never had a problem! I did not have the card reader at first, but last summer my husband talked me into getting it, and it saves alot of time! I use a small sales receipt book (the kind with a carbon copy), which is stamped with my business name. I write down the last 4 digits of the cc#, the $ amount of the sale, and the customers name and phone number. The customer gets a copy, and I use the other copy when I get home. It makes taking credit cards affordable...and the card reader is great because you don't have a record of the entire credit card number, only the last 4 digits, as the rest of the number is encrypted.

Thats a good idea... maybe DL # too, just in case

I use Propay as well....also purchased the reader for markets. With my laptop and a wireless card, I am able to authorize cards in real time. I also purchased a receipt printer. I print two receipts, have the customer sign one for my records and give them the other. There's a free POS program I loaded on my laptop call Imonggo which allows you to setup a simple store interface for what you're selling. You can then ring up the sale, print the receipt and then go to the Propay site to do the authorize.

HTH

I use Propay as well....also purchased the reader for markets. With my laptop and a wireless card, I am able to authorize cards in real time. I also purchased a receipt printer. I print two receipts, have the customer sign one for my records and give them the other. There's a free POS program I loaded on my laptop call Imonggo which allows you to setup a simple store interface for what you're selling. You can then ring up the sale, print the receipt and then go to the Propay site to do the authorize.

HTH

A receipt printer would be great. Did Propay offer that as well or did you have to get it elsewhere?