Candles I found in a big shop

Today was taking a break from work, went in a big shop in which they sells flower, plants, animals stuff and "home decor".

I know they have lots of candles and today I stopped and took some pics.

All the pilars are upside down. They are shrink wrapped and labeled, so they didn't just put the candles in the worng way on the shelves, they come already made like that.

I turned one and saw what is supposed to be the top used as if it's the bottom.

Of course the candles look crumbled and you can see almost the second pour.

I know this is a common mistakes newbies make (we are all newbies in our lives) but.. all those candles? Sold in a shop?

I don't understand.

Didn't take pics of tumblers. All wicks were off center and they seemed different one ffrom another: one was big, une was thin, one was 2 inches long, one was short.. all packaged and labeled.

I'm tempted to go there with some sample and show the difference.

Just a vent, italians use few candles and when I get to see what they buy it makes me GRRRRRRR!!!!

Thanks for reading!

post-1267-139458464768_thumb.jpg

post-1267-139458464771_thumb.jpg

post-1267-139458464773_thumb.jpg

Depending how the "bottom" is finished I sometimes think it looks better for the top, and then also you avoid the problem of trying to get a perfectly level bottom, which can be tricky on taller pillars. OTOH, if you do nothing like some blowtorch work the yeah, the bottoms can look bad.

I don't think I would buy those candles, either.

You can only imagine if the appearance is that poor, that the burn and throw probably is substandard, too.

I think you SHOULD take samples of your candles to show was good one look and smell like!

Depending how the "bottom" is finished I sometimes think it looks better for the top, and then also you avoid the problem of trying to get a perfectly level bottom, which can be tricky on taller pillars. OTOH, if you do nothing like some blowtorch work the yeah, the bottoms can look bad.

I'm not sure. I prefer levelling and have a nice finished top. BTW the bevel top of pillar molds have is nice to see.

Anyway those are not really good finished IMHO!

I think you SHOULD take samples of your candles to show was good one look and smell like!

Yes maybe I should, but I can't decide because I don't know if I can keep their stock so big, but I will think about it more seriously this time!

I noticed the labels were getting rather tattered and cruddy looking too.

Another argument for not leveling the the bottom of the candle is if you use it for the top and package in shrink wrap. You can see from the pics that the wrap pulls on the unfinished wax rim creating a ratty and battered looking candletop that crumbled. Very unprof looking.

You really should show the store manager your nice candles. Maybe she/he has no idea what a good candle looks like.

Ignorance in matter of candles here is tremendous. I'm afraid that they can't see the point I'm trying to explain, and also is it the right shop for me?

And, will I be able to fill all those shelves they have?

Oh well it's worth a bit of brain work LOL!

Wow. Those look like they were imported from somewhere far, far away ad the ship went through a few hurricanes, typhoons and rogue waves getting there! Obviously, they were not packaged well for shipment... I have to wonder if someone just messed up and wicked a whole boatload of 'em upside down... If the top didn't have a bevel, I could understand... Wonder if there is extra wick under the UPC label that we can't see... Who knows, but those really don't look very high quality for sure! Just curious - what was the price on these? Were they el cheapos?

I'm with everyone else - I think you should stop in again with some of your candles and show them how candles are supposed to look! :yay:

PS. I took a peek at their website... it has moved to another where those pillars do not appear in that particular collection - only some jar candles. Those ratty pillars seem to be some kind of closeout...;) The other stuff on the new site looks very good, although I noticed the off-center wicks on the tin photos. I wonder if they are wicking off-center deliberately to compensate for self-trimming wicks...

Edited by Stella1952

Uhm price for pillars was 8.90 euros, $12 more or less.

I don't know the size but they seem 3x3.

Maybe those were closeouts who knows but they didn't make a good thing to see.

It really seems they went through a war.

I will think about making an appointment.

They have also some space where there are "deisgner" candles, those have different shapes and finish, so maybe mine could go to the costy shelf LOL!

The Colony candles are featured under "collections" but the beat-up pillars are not there. HTH :D

Took a peek at the site.... yep the beat-up pillars seem no longer there but the ones they show now are totally covered by paper.. so who knows..

The rest seems ok, but I don't believe an off center wick has a real reason to be.

To me, I find it odd that all their website pillars are completely covered except for the church candles. I would never buy a candle I couldn't see. I mean, the paper is pretty, but that's not what I'm buying, and looks to me like they're hiding something.:tiptoe:

To me, I find it odd that all their website pillars are completely covered except for the church candles. I would never buy a candle I couldn't see. I mean, the paper is pretty, but that's not what I'm buying, and looks to me like they're hiding something.:tiptoe:

True, I didn't think about it LOL, you just can't see the pillar!

True, I didn't think about it LOL, you just can't see the pillar!

So...this could be their solution to hiding the upside down candle technique....:tiptoe:. I don't know...their website says they have 30 years experience:shocked2: and they're still making and selling upside down candles that look that bad(can't even shrinkwrap real good:laugh2:)? And what's up with that? Usually you put the seam of the shrinkwrap on the bottom, not the top. Looks unprofessional that way. Sabrina, I would definitely take some samples of your beautiful candles in to show them, whether they offer you a contract or not. Candles that look like those may be the reason that candles aren't that popular in Italy....

So...this could be their solution to hiding the upside down candle technique....:tiptoe:. I don't know...their website says they have 30 years experience:shocked2: and they're still making and selling upside down candles that look that bad(can't even shrinkwrap real good:laugh2:)? And what's up with that? Usually you put the seam of the shrinkwrap on the bottom, not the top. Looks unprofessional that way. Sabrina, I would definitely take some samples of your beautiful candles in to show them, whether they offer you a contract or not. Candles that look like those may be the reason that candles aren't that popular in Italy....

Yes this could be one reason.

I often think to go in shops and present my candle, two things are preventing me now from doing it. One, I'm still working on packaging, especially for pillars, and the things that scares me most is if they like my candles and want LOTS, because I do this only in the spare time for now.

So... I always procrastinate!

Thanks for kind words regarding my candles!

Well...just let me say one more thing...from the pics I've seen of your candles on this forum...if I walked into that store and saw those upside down things on the shelf next to your, I'd pay at least twice as much to buy one of yours instead!:highfive:

Thanks so much Bernadette, I'm so critical about myself that I don't see anything so good in my candles LOL, and I'm always surprised when customers tell me how much they like them!

addicted2candles, it sure doesn't hurt. I will try to make up my mind for packaging (after all I'm planning an open house soon) and then I'll go to that shop. If I find the nerve to do it!!!

Thanks!

Maybe if you write down and rehearse what you are going to say first? Sometimes it helps if you feel a bit nervous, going in prepared. Write down all the main selling points of your candles (the looks, the way they burn, how many customers you have sold them to, other businesses that carry your candles, customer reviews etc.) Search on google for any, all information you can on the company. Then write down some questions you think the decision maker may ask and write down how you'll answer them.

You can also use the companies motto to your advantage. For example if the company says "We pride ourselves on delivering the best items in the industry." You could say "Your company prides itself on delivering the best items in the industry. My candles are perfect for your company as they are hand made, burn well, are packaged in a neat, professional manner and well liked by my customers. For example one customer stated that my candles were highly scented and burned well. She bought every one in her family candles for the holidays. As you can see my candles are of the highest standard and fit in well with your companies motto." This is just an example and you can tailor it to the motto, goals etc of the company and your best selling features of your candles.

I find I get less nervous if I practice my speech ahead of time and have answers to questions that they are most likely to ask.

Good luck. I am sure your candles will be a huge hit! :) Keep us updated! :)

Edited by addicted2candles
spelling :)