Tortoise Shell Palm Testing 2

I was so hoping that I would be able to bookmark one thread and have all your testing results in one place.

I've got you covered. The end of each thread has a link to the beginning of the next and vice versa. You can just bookmark the first one and go through all of them in either direction. You still have to wade through all the axe-grinding and candle karaoke contests, but there's nothing I can do about it. :)

And don't forget the first one that you started a few days ago too, Top.

Yup, we left off with 3 burns on the LX 20 NST2 and 1 burn on the CSN 11. Both seemed worth continuing with. I was planning to do 2 burns of the CSN alone to equalize it with the LX and see how they compared at that stage. Surprisingly, that totally didn't work out, as you can see from burn 2 of CSN 11 below.

I felt that I had cut the wick just a bit short, but not by very much. The flame was perfectly respectable at first, which you don't see because I didn't take a pic until the 1 hour mark. By that time the wax was catching up with the wick and the rest of the burn was a struggle. In fact, this tester is a goner. The fourth photo shows how half the exposed wick is actually fried--there's no saving it.

My take on this is that maybe the slightly short trim contributed, but also that maybe the wick was borderline too small--at least if we are trimming before lighting it. I have just enough wax between the ugly duckling and the pour pot to make a CSN 12 tester, so I will probably do that.

The most interesting information, to me, is the logical steps you are taking. Hopefully the third time will be a charm!

I like to think the steps are logical within the spirit of the project. I got this wax to play with and I'm approaching it in a way that I think gets somewhere fast, but with intentional cutting of corners.

The biggest thing is that I have no reference for how the FO burns, so no way to know for instance if a wick is shroomy or the FO is persnickety. Normally I would choose something with known good burn properties that I use in other candles.

Normally I would test wicks with all the same dye or no dye, but of course what fun would it be not to color the new palm candles? I'm remelting wax a lot (I only have 10 lb.), not doing any weights and measures, and the only notes are what I'm posting on the board.

Even though LX NST2 and CSN both look like they could work in their way, I don't like their (non-) trimming properties and I think CDN should be better in that regard. So I'm holding off on testing a lot of sizes until I see how the next round goes, which will be a CD/CDN comparison.

post-710-139458464733_thumb.jpg

post-710-139458464734_thumb.jpg

post-710-139458464736_thumb.jpg

post-710-139458464738_thumb.jpg

Edited by topofmurrayhill

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm hoping you do make a CSN 12 tester. I'm really curious if the larger size will burn better without frying the wick as in your pic.

On the CS wick guide the CSN reco for the tortoise shell palm is:

2.5 - 3" pillar = CSN 11

3 - 3.5" pillar = CSN 12

Is that why you started out with the CSN 11 size wick?

Edited by Candybee

I felt that I had cut the wick just a bit short, but not by very much.

The biggest thing is that I have no reference for how the FO burns, so no way to know for instance if a wick is shroomy or the FO is persnickety. Normally I would choose something with known good burn properties that I use in other candles.

Where did you trim the wick? Half way between the wax and the shroom? Or closer to one or the other?

Hmmm ... I don't think I'd have the nerve to go with an untested FO. I've gone back to Part 1 and didn't see where you posted the FO. Even though palm is touted as being a great thrower it's the other effects I'd worry about ~ like the reputations that cinnamon and vanilla have on wicking. Any possibility that one of those components are in there?

Oh, if you need high alcohol-content liquid for testing ... here in the south they make the un-taxed version in some well hidden stills!

Even though LX NST2 and CSN both look like they could work in their way, I don't like their (non-) trimming properties and I think CDN should be better in that regard. So I'm holding off on testing a lot of sizes until I see how the next round goes, which will be a CD/CDN comparison.

So we are waiting for new candles and you are using the CDNs next? What sizes? All the others are not suitable or at least not to your liking? correct?

I'm hoping you do make a CSN 12 tester. I'm really curious if the larger size will burn better without frying the wick as in your pic.

On the CS wick guide the CSN reco for the tortoise shell palm is:

2.5 - 3" pillar = CSN 11

3 - 3.5" pillar = CSN 12

Is that why you started out with the CSN 11 size wick?

I saw those sizes in the wick guide and remembered seeing them in some board posts, so it seemed like a good place to start. I picked the smaller one because I planned to try the wick without trimming it.

Where did you trim the wick? Half way between the wax and the shroom? Or closer to one or the other?

The wick from the previous burn was fine and I cut it down to 1/4", or just shy of that. The fried wick was a result of the burn pictured above. If you click on the closeup you'll see a whole length of wick that's glowing. Below that was not much more than 1/8" inch of usable wick. Tester kaput!

Hmmm ... I don't think I'd have the nerve to go with an untested FO. I've gone back to Part 1 and didn't see where you posted the FO. Even though palm is touted as being a great thrower it's the other effects I'd worry about ~ like the reputations that cinnamon and vanilla have on wicking. Any possibility that one of those components are in there?

It really was the big risk I took, but I think it will be okay. There have been some good enough burns that I don't think the FO is messing us up too much. It's the Brandied Pear from CandleScience.

Oh, if you need high alcohol-content liquid for testing ... here in the south they make the un-taxed version in some well hidden stills!

Lol. For testing, it has to be pure 95% enthanol. For the tester, the product of a well-hidden still is perfect.

Back to the LX 20 NST2 tester. Fourth burn, 3 hours.

Photos are:

5 minutes after lighting

1 hour

2 hours

3 hours (view 1)

3 hours (view 2)

This wick has settled into its routine at this point. The flame is a little tall at the beginning and smaller at the end, and there was a little mushrooming in the final hour of the burn.

All in all, it hasn't been terrible or anything. What I am inclined to do at some point is make three new testers: LX 18 NST2, LX20 NST2 and LX22 NST2. That would be in order to test the adjacent sizes, get a do-over on the LX20 to burn it correctly from the start, and compare all three side by side.

I associate LX wicks with more of a downward burn and neat melt pool, which I thought might be good for palm pillars. As I've mentioned, I don't love the fact that they don't trim. That becomes a potential safety issue in a pillar wax that's prone to voids or blowouts because the flame is liable to get very tall if the melt pool drains.

post-710-139458464815_thumb.jpg

post-710-139458464816_thumb.jpg

post-710-139458464818_thumb.jpg

post-710-139458464819_thumb.jpg

post-710-139458464821_thumb.jpg

Edited by topofmurrayhill

I'm not real keen on trimming wicks for every burn either but prefer it to an off center or lopsided burn of a curling self trimming wick. I couldn't get one to burn without one side blowing out on me which can also cause a flare up.

I am liking how yours burns so evenly down the center. Looks like the shell is the same thickness all around.

Edited by Candybee