Throw from a tumbler?

Hey there everyone...it's been a while!

I have been doing J223/464 in apothecary jars, double wicked with zinc. I get a very nice throw from them...I have been very pleased. But I just love the look of tumblers and have played on and off with them, but I would like to get serious about it and start using them. So, my question is, is it unrealistic to think that I will get a throw out of a tumbler that is comparable to my apothecary jars double-wicked?

And for those that use zinc wicks in a tumbler (3"w) what od you use? 51z? 44 (32 or 24)?

Thanks!

Jenn

• 9 months later...
Hey there everyone...it's been a while!

I have been doing J223/464 in apothecary jars, double wicked with zinc. I get a very nice throw from them...I have been very pleased. But I just love the look of tumblers and have played on and off with them, but I would like to get serious about it and start using them. So, my question is, is it unrealistic to think that I will get a throw out of a tumbler that is comparable to my apothecary jars double-wicked?

And for those that use zinc wicks in a tumbler (3"w) what od you use? 51z? 44 (32 or 24)?

Thanks!

Jenn

Just bumping this thread.....I am struggling as well getting a good scent throw from a tumbler...its ok...rather on the weak side but nothing like a jar with a narrower neck.

Tumblers are pretty straight foward. The best are going to be straight sided and about the same diameter from top to bottom. You should be able to get the same ht as with any other container, it's just a matter of wicking. HTH

Steve

Lol thats what I thought too....but it isnt happening for me.....I tried moving the J50 to this tumbler......in a Mason jar it throws awesome.....but in the status jar I have a weak HT.....tried all different wicks and no good....the only difference is the mason is 2.75 inches I believe and the tumbler is 3 inches. I tried Joy Wax WOW wax, CBL125, CBL130, 6006, 4627and 4630 nothing seems to throw strong for me in a status jar. I use 1 oz FO per pound Honestly, I hate JJ and Mason jars....i am trying to get a more sophisticated looking jar(single wick) to use in my line. I thought about uping the amount of fo but I dont want to waste anymoney.......I just added a little crisco to the waxes and it seemed to hlp a little but not as strong as the J50 and the mason jar....I must be nuts or just over critical of my porduct since everyone else seems to get good throw from the status jars.

Status jars are not listed as tumblers. May I recommend the Libbey Universal Tumbler 8.5 ? This used to be known as the Crisa jar and was mfg in Mexico until bought out by Libbey; it is a very classy and easily wicked container. IMHO.

Steve

Edited by chuck_35550

If this is the tumbler you are talking about, it seems to be at a good price here:

https://www.earlyamericancandlesupplies.com/glass/8-5-oz-universal-candle-tumbler/prod_745.html

Very thick glass, I like them and get very good burns and HT using Palm. Holds about 6.2 ozs when pouring to 1/2 inch below top (same as my 8 oz JJ). I have had issues with this company, so won't do business with them anymore (bubble wrap instead of case pack, always some breakage; did not notify me when something was discontinued, just sent partial shipment and left me in a bind). But is a good price and reasonable shipping if you are on east coast.

HTH

Steve

Status jars are not listed as tumblers. May I recommend the Libbey Universal Tumbler 8.5 ? This used to be known as the Crisa jar and was mfg in Mexico until bought out by Libbey; it is a very classy and easily wicked container. IMHO.

Steve

Hey Steve....thanks for the info.....I just figured the status was just like a tumbler.....straight sides and all.. Do you use a lid on the tumblers? If so were do you get them? TIA

Well, as usual, there is a catch to everything. There is not a good lid for that tumbler, there are plastic dust covers that will fit and there used to be a great metal cover that looked really upscale. I switched over to the 12 oz salsa jar that holds about 8 oz of wax and has a lug or screw on gold cap and is about as tall as it is round. I use a cd 18 wick which works wonders in almost all my fos and produces a great ht. I buy them in bulk but you can find them at Fillmore if you are interested. You might give the salsa a whirl too. HTH

Steve