Details of CPOP

heather_dw

I just saw something about cpop (cold process oven process)

Is there a tutorial or more information on it somewhere?

What are the advantages/disadvantages of CPOP?

Im going to be making my first batch of soap soon (if I can ever find Lye :-()

and i just want to have a bit more info :-)

thanks!

Love CPOP. Make your regular CP batch. Mold it. Cover w/saran. Cook in the oven for 2 hours at 175-200 degrees. Turn oven off. Leave soap in oven for 24 hours. Unmold. Cut. Make sure your mold can take the heat. The Martha Mold warped on me. I use wooden ones.

Like HP, ready for immediate use. Will harden over time, 2 weeks or so. Regular CP takes a full six weeks to cure. That's the big plus for CPOP.

e

wow really?

So you can package it after 2 weeks,.. excellent!

One question,.. how can you put saran wrap in the oven :eek:

I ordered a small wooden mold that has a lid so that should work for this i'm thinking.

Are there any disadvantages to cpop?

wow really?

So you can package it after 2 weeks,.. excellent!

One question,.. how can you put saran wrap in the oven :eek:

I ordered a small wooden mold that has a lid so that should work for this i'm thinking.

Are there any disadvantages to cpop?

You don't need the lid in the oven. Saran works fine. The lid is for insulating CP. Since you are adding the heat, it's not necessary.

e

doesnt saran wrap melt in the oven?

How long do you have to let the soap sit in the mold before putting it in oven?

How do you know how long to leave it in there oven? Is there something to look for (color, etc)

You said 1-2 hours,..

You don't have to cover it if you are putting it in the oven. You can see it gel, you will notice the change where it is gelled and not gelled. I would leave it for 2 hours at 175 turn the oven off and leave it in there overnight or for a few more hours. I usually cut mine 24 hours later. I do let it cure for 3 weeks.

I do mine the same way as Eugenia, except I only leave mine in the oven overnight and take it out first thing the next morning. My saran wrap has never melted or even seemed like it would melt. The soap still does get better with time.

My oven won't go below 200. If I wanted to try this method, how long would I keep it in the oven. Until it gels, until it is done gelling?

Carrie, I'd just cook for 2 hours at 200, then leave it in the oven overnight. I've forgotten and cooked far longer than 2 hours with no noticeable difference.

e

wow :-)

Thanks for the info.

As soon as my soap supplies get here and I can find lye (I couldnt find it at our local wal-mart) I am going to try this :-)

I have never even made soap before other than M&P so this should be interesting :-)

E--I think you just put me in the mood for something :eek:

I love soaping. The FO's reacting is the downside. This is an awesome site for checking a fragrance before you try it: http://scentreviewboard.obisoap.ca/index.php

A=acceleration-as soon as the FO is added, things move very quickly

D=Discoloration, oil turns the soap color

Seize=gets unbearably thick

Rice=Soap separates into oils and "rice". Kinda looks disgusting.

If any of the above are encountered (with the exception of discoloration) and the soap does not appear moldable , I've been very successful in tossing the mess into the crockpot and continuing with hot process crockpot method.

In 2 years +, I've only tossed 2 batches. Soaping is great fun! I've not bought a bar of commercial soap since I started. When you see how great yours is, your won't want to either.

e

Thanks for the info.

As soon as my soap supplies get here and I can find lye (I couldnt find it at our local wal-mart) I am going to try this :-)

:-)

If you have a Lowes near you, they might have it. I know the Lowes by me carries lye and that's where I get it. You could also check hardware stores, and Home Depot.

Thanks for the info.

I have never even made soap before other than M&P so this should be interesting :-)

Try checking privately owned hardware store and grocery stores. The big chains here don't sell Lye either, but I did find it in several locally owned stores on accident... LMAO! :)