Wicks and soot

Putting aside the mushroom thing.. do some types of wicks soot more than others? I don't often do containers, but I'm testing some Christmas mugs and about to pull my hair out. I'm using 4786 and a LX 21, 1 oz FO pp. The mug is about 3" across. There was a slight bit of hangup on one side, but it has caught up. This last burn, 4hrs now (I'm down to about the last 2" of wax) the melt pool is not quite to the edge on one side, same side as the hangup had been and opposite side from the curl. I could live with that, but there's still soot on the glass. And it shows up bad on white glass. I thought soot was from the wick being too large, but I can't go any smaller. Would a different kind help? Now I remember why I don't do containers :mad:

I think it really depends on your variables. If you wick properly you should get minimal to no smoke and soot, and an even burn.

My hex jars burn for 75-80 hours, evenly with a 1/2 melt pool, no smoking or soot (unless marthon burned with no trimming). HTH

Frustrating isn't it? I'm hassling over a similar situation.

Problem is, you're stretching a bit to single wick that container and LX is already one of the best wicks to try that with. ECO can be good too but there are so few sizes. I don't see one that would solve the dilemma, but ECO 6 is comparable to LX 21 and you could see if it burns any cleaner. It's a shot in the dark but maybe.

Beyond that you could double wick it. Or change waxes.

BTW, how is the flame looking? Does it get too large or flickery in your test burns or are you just getting stealth soot?

If you are getting just a little soot maybe adding a little soy would help. That's what I had to do with the 8 oz sq. tins. You might try a low smoke 21 zinc. That works for a 2 3/4" container I do using J223. For some reason I always get sooting with the LX wicks I've tested. But then I'm a container newbie too.

It actually has a nice flame. I went back and checked the wick length since it'd been burning 4 or 5 hrs. Surprisingly it was barely 1/2" long and that included the curl. I may have to try a different wick, but wont be any changing waxes. I just bought a case of this and I can't afford any more. I did notice this wax seems different than before. It's much more opaque and creamier than the last I had, not to mention I see now what the "brainy" look is. I thought maybe it was just a memory lapse, but I found a hunk of it that I'd scented and colored from my first test slab. It looks closer to the pillar wax than it does this stuff. I guess that's beside the point...lol. I'm not having this problem with the square tins, but it may be because they're much shorter and I may just not be seeing the soot. Not a pleasant thought either. I've never tried double wicking anything. With it being 3" across any idea what size I would start trying to wick with? I do have sample packs of RRD, HTP and Cotton core, as well as the LX. If I hadn't already bought a couple dozen mugs, I'd just say forget it...lol. But nooo, I had to get plenty(for me anyway) and in 2 different sizes to boot! Hmm.. I wonder how popular wickless Christmas mugs for the candle warmers would be? LOL

Honestly, I will NEVER understand why they say containers are the easiest candles to make-ok maybe easy but the WORST to wick. That doesn't help does it :rolleyes2 Right now Im testing LX & zinc wicks (zinc's believed to be the soot makers) and Im finding that LX's are sooting more. Im especially noticing soot on the side that the wick bends to. RRD's burn more symmetrical. For 3" dia I would start with a 47. HTH & good luck :)

Last year I started testing the coffee mugs and the soot was horrible!

I finally put them up to test this year and they are still in the cabinetsanta roll

I hated the thought of double wicking them but I tried several different types of wicks to no avail. ( I use 1/2 4627 and 1/2 4786)

I use zinc's with 4786, tried them all, cd lx fil techs cotton etc.... I have finally resigned myself to zinc wicks, I have had sucess with these in all types of waxes and all size containers. I now use 1945 zincs no soot, no smoke, what can I say. Zinc for me. I have never had a complaint about mushrooming. They do , oh well LOL