Bubble Bars!!

LuminousBoutique

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Where did you get yours Carebear and what did you pay? I bought some from a local store that sells it in bulk.

Where's that at? I've been wanting to buy my Sodium Bicarbonate in bulk (and other things too!) but Smiths charges an arm and a leg. My husbands coworkers told him about a great bulk place in SLC but hes stupid as an ox sometimes and didnt bother to ask the name or write down the address, lol.

I get mine from Bulkfoods.com and its around $25 for 5 pounds but you have to pay shipping on top of that.

Edited by LuminousBoutique

If you have a Costco up there, they sell a lot of baking stuff in bulk. I bought baking soda in 12lb bags for a great price...wish I could remember how much, but it's been awhile. I just know it was so much cheaper than the grocery stores.

I also buy my sugar for scrubs in 25 lb bags there.

If you have a Costco up there, they sell a lot of baking stuff in bulk. I bought baking soda in 12lb bags for a great price...wish I could remember how much, but it's been awhile. I just know it was so much cheaper than the grocery stores.

I also buy my sugar for scrubs in 25 lb bags there.

yeah Sams club is great for it too! Cant find the tartar though. Luckily Utah is food storage grand central so I know there are places to get this kind of stuff

I bought mine at Winco. They just opened one up the street. Baking soda is .48 lb, corn starch is .76 lb and the crean of tartar is $5.67 lb. I don't know if anyone else sells it cheaper as I did not look, but I was impatient to get the stuff to try these. I will have to look on bulkfoods and see if it is cheaper with the shipping.

I bought mine at Winco. They just opened one up the street. Baking soda is .48 lb, corn starch is .76 lb and the crean of tartar is $5.67 lb. I don't know if anyone else sells it cheaper as I did not look, but I was impatient to get the stuff to try these. I will have to look on bulkfoods and see if it is cheaper with the shipping.

thats a really great price actually considering its right down the street and you dont have to pay shipping

Yea, I think it is a good price. I looked on bulkfoods.com and the cream of tartar is $5.32 plus shipping. You get $5 shipping with orders over $75 but I think that it would only be about .11 lb difference to have it shipped on 15 lbs. But, I can get a better price if I were to buy 50 lbs from them local so overall, the few pennies I might pay more is worth it to be 1/2 mile away!! :laugh2:On their 25 lbs the price breaks out to $5.33 lb so if you were to buy it in that poundage, it would be cheaper, but I still think I could get 50 lbs from Winco local cheaper. Not positive, but I bet as much.

I have not seen cream of tartar in anything bulk at Costco or Sams so I don't know about them. I have to go to Sams this week so I will look and see if they carry it here in Utah Luminous.

Edited by CandleMama6

yeah I havent seen it either- I'll have to stop at winco when I come down there to go to ikea next. I love IKEA.. its a sickness. lol. And I have to come down to get two shelving units for my craft booth anyways, so its just another stop!

Here is the address to the one over closer to IKEA. Not sure how much different their prices would be, but I would not imagine too much.

7020 S. 700 W. Midvale, UT 84047

Luminous,

Were you able to stop at the Winco when you went to IKEA? I love their bulk foods section. Last time I went, I came home with all sorts of stuff!!

Question for you though...when you package these, how do you package them? Paper, cello bags, shrink wrap?

Thanks!!

eta: Is there a certain order that I should add things or do I just throw them all in a bowl and mix??

Edited by CandleMama6

Luminous,

Were you able to stop at the Winco when you went to IKEA? I love their bulk foods section. Last time I went, I came home with all sorts of stuff!!

Question for you though...when you package these, how do you package them? Paper, cello bags, shrink wrap?

Thanks!!

eta: Is there a certain order that I should add things or do I just throw them all in a bowl and mix??

I did stop but I didnt get anything because I only had my credit card, and they dont take credit :( I dont carry checks around anymore, so I was out of luck!

I was just wrapping them in plastic wrap and sticking a label on top.... but I am going to package them in square clamshells I found from now on, because I can just press the mix right into it and seal, bing bang boom and done!

As far as mixing it, I put the SLS in the bowl first, then pour half the glycerin over the top (to cut down on the dust) then pour the rest of the dry, and glycerin on top. Mix it with your hands like you would a bath bomb (using gloves) and then I add color and FO. You can adjust from there, more glycerin if needed.. or more baking soda if needed. Its a learning curve, you just have to mess with it to get the "feel" you want.

PS make sure you wear a face mask AND goggles when you work with SLS, and wipe all surfaces clean after. Its REALLY irritating to the eyes and nose if you breathe it in.

Edited by LuminousBoutique

excited to hear.

still waiting on glycerin, I have to go pick it up from MMS. If anyone wants to test it I would suggest adding 1/2 cup Citric Acid to the recipe I posted, and slightly upping the glycerin to compensate for the extra dry ingredients. I will test it when I get my glycerin but to me bubble bars are just about the movie star bubbles, and my bombs are about the fizz.. so I dont think it will be something I repeat. I hope the bubble bars do well this year because I personally love them and love making them.. but most people gravitate to the bombs because they are "showy"

Carebear. I formulate for a lady and she wants cabbage in her receipe. Does that smell? The cabbage powder , have you used it?

bulkfoods.com

they have citric acid, also

and buttermilk powder and baking soda

($5 shipping if you meet the minimum)

and agar agar

and annatto seeds

and (hunh?) cabbage powder LOL