those who use turkey melters

I turn it off and unplug it after each candle making session.

It doesn't take long to melt...20-30min.

I would think it would not be good for the wax to keep it on constantly and it would become a fire hazard.

I only turn my turkey fryer on when i am ready to make candles.

Then I start wicking my jars, get out my fragrances,etc while I wait for it to melt.

I really am glad we bought one because it really cuts down on time.

What kind of thermometer do you guys use--a thermometer that you stick down into the wax or what? I have a turkey melter that I bought last year to use, but I haven't yet because the thermometers I use won't clip to the side, and the ones I've seen at the stores would have to be in the turkey melter. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

I love, love the infrared thermometer I stole from my husband :rolleyes2 so far he hasn't seemed to miss it....it is so much easier and quicker than waiting for the digital....and you can easily point and read different areas of the wax in the melter to make sure you're getting an accurate reading...i have had less temp related problems since using one...

I don't have a turkey fryer but I bought one of these thermometers for each of my prestos and my big melters.

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/80100406

The $7 each was well worth it to me to have the piece of mind. I just set them to 5-10 degrees cooler than my desired temp so that it warns me before I get there in case I am doing something else and not paying attention (wicking jars, labeling, etc) or in another part of the workshop. That way I can keep a closer eye on it because it tends to creep up pretty quickly at that point. I just use the weight of the lid on my big melters to suspend the temp probe up slightly off the bottom so it is reading the wax temp rather than the bottom of the warmer temp. I also have one of the point and shoot thermometers to use during the mixing (pour pot) stage to spot check temps. If you are looking for those keep an eye out at Home Depot or Lowes. I got mine at Home Depot the day after Thanksgiving for $20 and have seen them on clearance (because they were changing the color of the packaging to match the new line of tools) for about the same since.

Hi Stella,

I bought a materbuilt turkey fryer that looks like this fryer from qvc. Except i bought mine from Dicks Sporting Goods.

http://www.qvc.com/qic/qvcapp.aspx/view.2/app.detail/params.item.K5713.desc.Masterbuilt-Stainless-28Qt-Digital-Electric-Turkey-Fryer

You can't see the 3 holes on the lid, but they are there. I have never taken a temp of the wax in the fryer anyway. I set it at 200 degrees and they say that the temp is usually a little lower than what it shows. You can put about 30-40 # of wax in the fryer and it is all melted and ready to go in 30 minutes. If you have less wax in there it takes even less time.

I bought one of these thermometers for each of my prestos and my big melters.

I just checked that link and those are MONDO KOOL!!! I love the idea of having an "alarm" to let me know when the temp I set is reached!! Thanks for posting that!!

I have never taken a temp of the wax in the fryer anyway.

Wow. I can't imagine NOT keeping a thermometer in my melting pots...

I just checked that link and those are MONDO KOOL!!! I love the idea of having an "alarm" to let me know when the temp I set is reached!! Thanks for posting that!!

No prob. I had bought a more expensive one from Bed Bath & Beyond before that I would go back & forth between the melters with but with that price I couldn't resist just getting them for all of them. They seem more durable too. Plus now I have a back up - if one starts acting up or the battery dies in the middle of a project I just plug in a different "base" and keep going then deal with it later when I am done. ALOT less stressful that way.