Is spending this much money normal when testing??

Okay, I have a few more things to fine tune but I think Im on the cusp of deciding on "MY" wax and "MY" preferred wicks. YAY! However, looking back I've spent almost $1000.00 just testing wicks and waxes. And thats only for one size container! Just wondering if thats a pretty normal amount to spend during testing. Hubby thinks its a bit much :rolleyes2.

Now that Ive decided on my wax and wick type, the fun part starts...testing all those fabulous FO's! lol

Okay, I have a few more things to fine tune but I think Im on the cusp of deciding on "MY" wax and "MY" preferred wicks. YAY! However, looking back I've spent almost $1000.00 just testing wicks and waxes. And thats only for one size container! Just wondering if thats a pretty normal amount to spend during testing. Hubby thinks its a bit much :rolleyes2.

Now that Ive decided on my wax and wick type, the fun part starts...testing all those fabulous FO's! lol

lol. yes. Assure him its "normal" although... those of us who put ourselves through it might not be. haha

I spent about a grand this year (just since May) as well....but I pretty much already knew what waxes / wicks I liked from my first go at this a few years ago. So my grand was more or less for "retesting" rather than "newbie testing".

I learned to scale down on this go 'round. :rolleyes2

I'm hoping that I will finally break even in about 20yrs

I look at my initial testing expenses as educational & training cost. Most colleges/trade schools don't offer a degree or certificate in professional candlemaking, so we have to self-educate. NOTHING comes for free in life! :)

I spent that much, but only from buying well over 20 different molds, and 10lb samples of at least a half dozen waxes (incl. beeswax), lots of spooled wicks, dyes, etc. Figure $200-$300 on wax, $300 on molds, $200 FOs..., the rest misc and equipment ($100 for a chemlab hotplate, and that was a huge bargain) Yeah, a grand can go into startup pretty easy.

It may be a more "real" hobby than World of Warcraft, but it is a lot more expensive. OTOH, now that I'm set up, wax is the main cost, and I'm saving beaucoup bucks on candles for myself. Testing isn't just testing, it's getting to enjoy candles almost all the time. (Oh, add $100 for fire extinguishers and some alarms -- hope not to need them, and only burn attended, but especially with testing, better to be safe.)

And just wait until you decide to add new containers and fragrances...more testing, more money. And let's not forget the additional gas/electric costs, more wax, etc. Anyone who thinks making candles saves money and/or selling handmade candles is a quick and dirty way to make money....well...I have some oceanfront property in Arizona I'd love to sell ya'!:laugh2:

• 2 weeks later...

Just within the 2-3 months that I've been testing my candles to find what I find works well for me, I've spent WELL over that in about 2-3 weeks. :P Of course I also do testing about 8 hours a day and that tends to take a LOT of wax. :whistle:

Either way though, I have a ton of FOs, Waxes, Wicks and Containers (and yes, I generally do purchase by the pallet since overall cost is less than paying for 10lb at a time).

I think there are a lot of choices between 10 pounds and a whole pallet!

What? A mere 50-100lbs? LOL....I'm price conscious of this stuff, which from what I've figured seems to allow for an overall decrease in my spending, especially when having to go pick it up at a store vs paying someone else to do it for me and bring it to my door. LOL

Speaking of which, I still have a lot left...wonder what I'll make this time.

What? A mere 50-100lbs? LOL....I'm price conscious of this stuff, which from what I've figured seems to allow for an overall decrease in my spending, especially when having to go pick it up at a store vs paying someone else to do it for me and bring it to my door. LOL

Speaking of which, I still have a lot left...wonder what I'll make this time.

At CandleScience, a pallet is 33 cases (50 lbs. per case). 1650 pounds of wax is a lot of wax.

Anyone who thinks making candles saves money and/or selling handmade candles is a quick and dirty way to make money....well...I have some oceanfront property in Arizona I'd love to sell ya'!:laugh2:

No KIDDING... I had someone say to me the other day "Oh soap and candles? There's good money in that huh?"

I just laughed... :laugh2:and laughed... :laugh2:she looked at me like :confused:

YEAH... eventually. Once you've sold your arm, leg, first born, cat, soul, and lost your mind getting everything perfected...

At CandleScience, a pallet is 33 cases (50 lbs. per case). 1650 pounds of wax is a lot of wax.

*Points to storage area out in backyard* Yeah, I learned the hard way about that the first order I did. LOL Either way though, it's a fun wax to play with overall, esp if I want to test a color combination and/or scent combo. Either way though, I didn't order from CS. I forgot who I ordered from less I go back through my receipts.

Right now I am working on multi-layered straight paraffin pillars with various angles/sizes/etc. Don't feel the need to do much more than that at this time.

Funny thing though, after posting yesterday, a couple of neighbors came over and asked if I'd be willing to teach their kids (dang them for noticing the truck). Not sure if I'm even good enough to do that, but hey, when in Rome....and not to mention, I have plenty of fire hydrants and protective gear. :P

That's the joys of living on over 5 acres of land I guess. :laugh2:

Edited by CandlePup