Clamshells at Walmart

candles4ever

When I was looking through Walmarts candle section I noticed they had Clamshell tarts for $2.00. How can I compete with that?

I bought one because I wanted to compare throw, since I can't compare in price. Of course they are worth $2.00 not much scent, I smelled a tiny bit of scent but that's only if I stuck my nose right on top of the warmer.

I am so bummed..

I belive that subject has been discussed at length on this board.

The consumer gets what they pay for....period.

Those are mass produced, probably in China...who knows.

WE made handcrafted items that have been tested and tested. Our prices are justified.

I at times have told my customers that mention the same thing,,,,,"if you want cheap go to Walmart, if you want Awesome! come to me!".

"You get what you pay for", especially in this business whether it be candles or bath & body.

Oh, I thought they were new in Walmart. Just goes to show how much I pay attention. I can barely sell them and they only had 4 left. Maybe that's a good thing they sell them then when they get a handpoured one they'll go crazy.

Well at least you guys lifted my spirits, I was really bummed there for awhile.

As a few others have said in this thread.. Customer get what they pay for, our customers are glad to be supporting a local business with a quality product.

Don't worry what those big box stores are selling their candles for. Because as others have said you can't compete with their prices. But what you can compete with is the quality of the product. I like to go through and check out the candles and look at the quality. :tiptoe:

When I was looking through Walmarts candle section I noticed they had Clamshell tarts for $2.00. How can I compete with that?

I bought one because I wanted to compare throw, since I can't compare in price. Of course they are worth $2.00 not much scent, I smelled a tiny bit of scent but that's only if I stuck my nose right on top of the warmer.

I am so bummed..

I noticed the same thing for the first time a few weeks ago....did not know they had them. My husband has been doing the Wallmart runs and I was only in there doing some Christmas shopping. I did the same thing....bought a couple to compare the throw. I was really irritated to see how little they cost. I bought Orange Clove and Cinnanon Stick. I have not melted the Cinnamon Stick, but melted the Orange Clove. I have to say that the Orange Clove did give off a decent enough scent throw....not OUTSTANDING, but I could smell it. It bummed me out. I got it off my mnd and told myself not to worry. Most people will like hand poured quality melts better and the fact that they are locally made. People love that up here. However, there are a lot of people up here that like deals and are not big spenders. The east side of WA is more conservative than the west side. I think people watch their buck more on this side.

I am not going to worry about it and will refrain next time to scope it out. :rolleyes2

Edited by Holly

I saw them also the other day at walmart...they had alot of them and very cheap $2, I got Ocean Breeze just to check it out and it was strong but not in a good way...it was almost a perfumy strong. Can't say I was that enthralled with it but it will sell at that price...oh well...so will mine!:)

Sorry to say but I've seen clamshells even cheaper! I've seen them wholesale for .50 I was shocked! THey were made in Canada even. Funny thing was, customer of mine works at Walmart and mentioned them last week where she worked...take one guess what she bought at my shop...yep tarts! You have to know your customer to be able to compete...same people who are shopping for a KIA arent comparison shopping with a BMW. So are you a KIA or BMW? :P