Hairline Cracks: EcoSoya Container Blend Advanced

Saturday I tried EcoSoya Container Blend Advanced Soy Wax for the first time. I followed the guidelines at Peak Candles for preparing the wax. After cooling for about 3 hours I noticed cracks at the top surface so I hit it with a heat gun. After several repeats I am still getting hairline cracks. Is this to be expected with this wax? Below are the guidelines I followed.

• When using liquid, chip and block dyes or no dye at all, heat the wax to about 175 deg. F.

• Working/pouring temperatures should be in the range of 100 to 155 deg. F. 130 deg. F is a good starting point for

larger containers. For taller and more narrow jars, 155 deg. F is a good starting point.

• Given the same size container, EcoSoya soy waxes require larger wick sizes than paraffin.

• Preheating glassware is not necessary.

I haven't used straight soy for a while but I remember I had a hairline crack once across the top. When I test burned it I discovered it was an air pocket just under the surface next to the wick. I still get occasional air pockets using a parasoy blend in my larger candles. When I see a dip or crack I poke it with a chopstick to see if there's an air pocket underneath the surface. If so I heatgun the top til the pocket opens up and fills with wax.

Is your air temp radically colder/draftier than normal? If so, it isn't unusual for tops to develop cracks when they cool faster than usual or at a different rate from the rest of the candle... ANYONE experiencing unusually cold weather and pouring soy candles should be paying close attention to temperature all the way through the melting/pouring/cooling process until the air temperature moderates... I'm not pouring anything until the arctic air dissipates and reasonable temperatures prevail!!

Yea.... I can't make soy candles in the winter cuz I'm too cheap to heat my house after the kids go to bed and the thermostat is set at 50F.

I know some put them on racks, under upturned cardboard boxes, even in the (unlit!!!) oven but none of that really worked out for me.

But take all that with a grain of salt cuz I suck at candles anyway LOL.

I use a soy blend and unless I have the heat blasting while the candles are setting up, I can get cracks. It seems to be with only several scents and not all of them. Don't know why that is. These recent 0 degree temps and wind chills definitely don't make optimal candle making days!

I'm gonna take the plunge and TRY to pour some soy candles tomorrow. HOPEFULLY, it'll be warm enough. C3 also does this sometimes, so it isn't just an EcoSoya thing... I've also had those annoying cracks happen when doing second pours (which is one reason I never do second pours). Good luck!! :)