I don't know what to do!!

cybersix

Hi, today my hairdresser asked me if I could do some candles so she gives them as christmas present to her customers.

Good thing, but:

- she wants about 100 candles

- she wants them before xmas

- she want not pay me more than 1,50 euro each (with packaging)

I'd like to accept, is a good way to advertise around my candlemaking activity.

I have to do small pillars, I have about 10 different shaped molds, I thought I can wick them all and pouring all, the next day same thing, and so on.. I won't do much money, but maybe someone will call me back..

It's a rush against time, I know.. ohhhhh what should I tell her? :undecided

Thanks for reading

Sabrina

Hi there

Personally, if it was me and if I could cover the cost and at least get a couple of hours sleep and particularly if your business is relatively new like mine is, I would do them and write it off to advertising. Just make sure that they are well branded with your details to encourage repeat business. I believe that sometimes you might not see the rewards now, but you can't get any later if you always make profit the no.1 goal.

Hope that helps!

Katinka

How much would you be making on these?? I guess a lot depends on how much getting your candles and name out there is worth to you. I donated 50 votives to a Massage Therapist in my area recently for her to put in gift packages for her customers. I felt it was a way to get my product out there and hopefully I'll get orders out of it. Can you talk her into votives, instead of pillars?? Good luck on your decision!!:cool2:

Hi Katinka,

my goal is not to make profict, I know it's hard, I will be happy if I can cover my costs.

I've almost decided to say yes, the bad thing is that I have not finished yet another order of custom pillars! I do candles only during weekend and evening (or night!) when I go back at home after 8 hours of work. This is why I have a little time left!!

But thank you for your opinion, we think almost the same!

Sabrina

How much would you be making on these?? I guess a lot depends on how much getting your candles and name out there is worth to you. I donated 50 votives to a Massage Therapist in my area recently for her to put in gift packages for her customers. I felt it was a way to get my product out there and hopefully I'll get orders out of it. Can you talk her into votives, instead of pillars?? Good luck on your decision!!:cool2:

Hi Chris, I thought votives would be perfect at this time, but I don't do votives!! And it's not the moment to experiment!!

I'm just starting now to sell my candles, this could be a good way to let people know I exist. As Katinka says, I will not earn a lot of money but maybe this helps for the future!!

Hi Katinka,

my goal is not to make profict, I know it's hard, I will be happy if I can cover my costs.

I've almost decided to say yes, the bad thing is that I have not finished yet another order of custom pillars! I do candles only during weekend and evening (or night!) when I go back at home after 8 hours of work. This is why I have a little time left!!

But thank you for your opinion, we think almost the same!

Sabrina

I just had to chime in. I feel a little bit differently on the pricing of my products. I feel that I should make a profit on them. I am not sure what your profit would be on an order like this but you still have to make some money too. I would figure out the what it is going to cost you to make these and then give her a qoute. You have to set the price not her.

I had an opportunity to make alot of soap for a woman but she wanted me to lower my wholesale price to below my wholesale price and include shipping. I told her that unfortunitly I could not do this and she went elsewhere. Which I know that could have been great for me to have another customer but this is my business not theirs.

I realize that this is a big order but you can not let the customer set the prices for you. This is your business not theirs. Does this make sense?

Oh yeah I forgot it is always easier to lower your prices. Raising them is a different story... And don't worry people will start to find you once you have gotton a few orders. Just make sure to have your information on your labels.

Good luck in whatever you decide!

Thanks Lorrie, you are right, I calculated that thecost for a small candle will be about 0,50-0,60 euros. without packaging and no taking care of the time I'll use, but I don't think it will take much time to do one.. so the worst that could happen is I will only cover my cost, but I was thinking about this as a way to advertise.

Anyway, this evening at home I'll do some math! and a little test of what can come out of a mold with about 5oz of wax..:rolleyes2

Thanks Lorrie, you are right, I calculated that thecost for a small candle will be about 0,50-0,60 euros. without packaging and no taking care of the time I'll use, but I don't think it will take much time to do one.. so the worst that could happen is I will only cover my cost, but I was thinking about this as a way to advertise.

Anyway, this evening at home I'll do some math! and a little test of what can come out of a mold with about 5oz of wax..:rolleyes2

I realize that. What I use for advertising is my fundraisers and home parties. I give a percent to the organization and make sure that I label everything with my business name. Please keep in mind that if you do special pricing for her once, she may come back to you and want it everytime that she orders.. Just something for you to think about.

Here is another thought. Tell her if you do the special pricing for her it is a one time deal and you want to put your candles in her shop. You could do it as a consignment deal or maybe since you aren't making any money off her order she will be nice enought to let you do that for free. (But get that in writing to cover your butt.);)

I realize that. What I use for advertising is my fundraisers and home parties. I give a percent to the organization and make sure that I label everything with my business name. Please keep in mind that if you do special pricing for her once, she may come back to you and want it everytime that she orders.. Just something for you to think about.

Here is another thought. Tell her if you do the special pricing for her it is a one time deal and you want to put your candles in her shop. You could do it as a consignment deal or maybe since you aren't making any money off her order she will be nice enought to let you do that for free. (But get that in writing to cover your butt.);)

Thanks Lorrie, labels will carry my name and address and her shop's name.

I forgot to say that this lady keeps in her shop a basket with firestarters and some candles I made, she let me sell those and she asked for nothing.

That's why I tend to say her yes! But as you say I will underline the fact that is just only a one time deal.

Thanks so much for all the clever things you made me think about!!

and sorry for my english

Thanks Lorrie, labels will carry my name and address and her shop's name.

The labels have her shop name on them? Than that's a little different. What she is asking for is called private label. I haven't done any of those yet but I still would think that you should charge at least your wholesale rate. But good luck in whatever you choose..

And make sure that you give yourself enough time to get all your orders done on time.

Private label just means that you make the candle but put their business name on it. Usually included is Made specially for "Their business name" by "your business name" or something to that effect. Where your name as the manufacturer is listed somewhere, even if on bottom. Their name is on the main label. At least that's how I understand it.

Thanks to all for your advices, the past evening at home I made some test and calculation. I came up with 8 molds I can fill at the same time. The amount of wax is about 900 grams, the average cost per candle (excluding colors and FOs that are very small quantity) is 0,50 - 0,60 euros including trasparent little bags (I can buy 100 bags at 6 euros).

This morning I will call this lady, if she agree paying 1,50 each I'll accept the order. It is a lot of work, but I intend to do it, hoping not to fall sick and having to stop pouring!!!

For labels I don't know what we will do, she doesn't mind if her shop's name is on the label or not.

Call me stupid, but I think it is an opportunity.

Kisses

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Lorrie and Katinka, in two weeks I made 100 of those small pillars.

It's been a hard work, but all wnt fine, the hairdresser is fully satisfied, I spent about 60 euros and she paid me 150.

But I told her the next time price won't be the same, and if she wants me to do some other work she has to give me more time.

Maybe she wants 50 more pillars, but til now I did not heard from her.

No private labeling, only my name on the labels.

Thanks girls!

Don't worry - I have the same problems here. I also thought I was going to start big and make lots of money - but the reality is that it takes alot of time and effort to build this type of business. However, there is something to be said about owning something that is yours through your own hard work and effort. I work as a spa consultant and in the spa industry we have seen that we are about 2-3 years (minimum) behind the USA in terms of trends. If you have a look at some of the articles on the happi.com website about the candle market I am very convinced that the trends will come to both our countries. We just have to start small and focus on spesifics instead of wanting to be everything to everyone. Also - think about it this way: by the time people wake up here, I would hopefully be far along into my research and can start selling a good quality product before most others would be able to!

Hang in there - it will come!

Now, with that all said - have a good christmas! santa razz