Votives VS Container Candles

I make both and votives are smaller so the throw isn't as great unless in you burn in a small room. Try making and burning more than one, then burn them all at the same time I almost always get a nice throw, I burn like 6 at a time, plus I like the lighting effect you get when burning 6 or more.

I, too, think it's an issue of a small size candle in a large space... My votives have a very nice hot throw, but one of them in the livingroom just does not have the same horsepower as a larger container candle! I think this is simply a function of a smaller melt pool putting out a smaller amount of fragrance... :) I agree with lighting more than one - they look prettier and smell prettier too! :yay:

I can get roughly the same throw from a votive as from an 8 oz-ish glass tumbler, using slightly more FO but not a lot more. That can be up to 1000 square feet, through doors and around corners. The small melt pool is a disadvantage, but don't underestimate what you can do. A lot of votives are overwicked and it really kills the throw. Combine the right wax with good wicking and you can get impressive results.

Way back when I started making candles, one of the first I made was votives from Bramble Berry's orange clove FO and IGI 4794 wax and 36-24-36z wicks. It filled an entire 2300 sq ft floor of a house, but it had a fuel smell I couldn't tolerate. I have not been able to duplicate that strength in a votive since, though I just poured a new blend on 1/1/2010 to try. THAT beginner's luck candle is my yardstick that I'm still trying to recreate, but make it better.

I have to agree with Top. One of my votives in my large open house will scent down the hall, approx. 1500 sq. ft. with cathedral ceilings. I also put a touch more FO's in my votives and if it's wicked right, a votive can and will scent the same as an 8 oz. container. :cool2: