Soot In Just One Spot???

I'm using 4627 in 16oz smooth jelly jars, not wide mouth. I'm using HTP 105's, pouring at about 170, adding FO between 180-190. Cooling in the oven, preheated. I'm pouring just below the shoulder of the jar because apparently if I don't, it soots up really bad around the rim.

I've tried several different scents and I keep getting the same issue. Now instead of sooting up around the rum, it's sooting up in just one spot on the rim, but really really dark. Almost the flame scorched it, but it couldn't have, as I trim the wicks and I even have the EZ Setter so the wicks are perfectly centered...

I thought at first it was pockets of FO that maybe didn't mix, but I made sure it was very well mixed AND it's happening with nearly every scent.

Anyone had this happen??? I'm so baffled...

I don't use the HTPs so I can't say for sure. But I wonder if its not that the wick is designed like some others to curl during burning for optimal flame. Sometimes that can have the effect of the jar heating up more on one side where the wick is curling or even be why you have one spot of soot on that side. Even when the wick is centered if it curls while burning it will burn slightly off to one side.

I don't use the HTPs so I can't say for sure. But I wonder if its not that the wick is designed like some others to curl during burning for optimal flame. Sometimes that can have the effect of the jar heating up more on one side where the wick is curling or even be why you have one spot of soot on that side. Even when the wick is centered if it curls while burning it will burn slightly off to one side.

I agree. Try also wick down.

Blame it on the curl.

If you look the end of the burnt wick is probably in line with the soot mark. You may try off-setting the wick tab about 1/16 to 1/8 of an inch away from the curl. The wick will look off center once you pour it - because it is. But it very well may get rid of the soot mark.

4627 has an unusual composition and is prone to soot when the flame flickers. You have to be careful with the amount of fragrance oil because that can make it worse. Sometimes you have to experiment with the amount of FO, but often the only solution is a smaller wick.

The reason you get the black spot on one side is because of the air currents. Fresh air enters on one side and hot air (plus smoke) exits from the other side. The flame is sending out puffs of smoke. Watch for a while, especially towards the end of the burn, and you'll see it happen. That's the only way you get black marks.

Adjusting the position of the wick as Judy suggests can help make the air currents more even so you don't get the black spot on one side. It might reduce the amount of flickering as well. However, you may still get smoke and might have to experiment with the FO and the wick size to get it right.

When you say that a wick is too small, make sure you really tested it. A lot of people refuse to do it unless they see it melt out to the glass in the first few burns. As long as the wick is burning well and not struggling, the only hangup that's important is what's left when the candle is done.

You mentioned the fill level. If this is a problem you're only having at the very top, you may need to lower the fill level further. For some reason a lot of people are anxious to fill jars as high as possible. It's more important than the candle works well. The air currents change as the wax level changes, so sometimes you can fill to the level where it starts off burning well.

Thanks so much! I think you are right...

The HTP 104 did eventually burn all the wax, but it took until a little more than 1/2 through the candle. Do you think customers will deal with having to wait that long for it to burn evenly? I personally would rather it burn properly, but not sure if you guys have had complaints if that happens.

There is some hang, but it's so small, almost like a "film" rather than real hang.

I've heard the same thing about the soot, the air tunnel. I decided to fill them just under the shoulder, and there was a lot less sooting. However, when I did power burns, the 104's did soot, but I think that's to be expected (didn't trim the wick, power burned 8 hours or so).

The regular 4 hour burn didn't produce much soot at all, just a little along the rim and I think you are right, it's the air tunnel thing. I will keep testing to try to get rid of it, but if that's the best I can get, I'm happy with that, it's very little.

I'm using about 1oz of fo ppw, so I think if I go any lower the throw isn't gonna be great. And I've found another little problem...

The HT seems to NOT be as strong when I power burn them, what I mean is: Once the 8 hours are up, when I go to blow out the candles, the throw doesn't seem as strong. Is that normal?

I just hate not to use the 4627 because I know it's supposed to be the best throw out there, and that's what I am really going for. I'm hesitant to switch to zinc core because I know they produce more soot than the HTP and I really don't need that!

Thanks again for all of your help! I'm testing like a madman, but it's nice to know you guys are there to help me with the next step!

The HTP 104 did eventually burn all the wax, but it took until a little more than 1/2 through the candle. Do you think customers will deal with having to wait that long for it to burn evenly? I personally would rather it burn properly, but not sure if you guys have had complaints if that happens.

Sounds good to me. Probably to generations of candlemakers also. Might not sound good to everyone here, but bad advice takes root just as easily as good advice. Gotta be careful what you learn on the board. A little wax is a lot better than black soot on the glass.

Maybe you should test HTP-93 too.

The HT seems to NOT be as strong when I power burn them, what I mean is: Once the 8 hours are up, when I go to blow out the candles, the throw doesn't seem as strong. Is that normal?

I wouldn't worry about that if the candle smells good in normal burns. After 8 hours I suppose either your nose is getting numb or maybe the burn rate has increased and killed the scent throw a little.

I'm hesitant to switch to zinc core because I know they produce more soot than the HTP and I really don't need that!

I think people use zincs in this wax because they clog up. That decreases flickering while helping the melt pool and scent throw. It makes kind of an ugly burn though, with a lot of mushrooming and not such a pretty flame. If it doesn't matter whether a candle burns nicely, I figure why bother with a wicked candle at all. Personally I'd stick with HTP or CD.

Good luck and keep up the good work.